Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

No doubt about it, Mac has 3 games left in his HC career

Pollard really has no choice but to replace McCarney. He's going to lose $1M in revenue over the last two home games -- figure at least 10,000 single game tickets at $40 each plus concessions and parking. And I'd say a good head coaching hire heading into next year will probably be worth 5000 to 10,000 season ticket sales. You have to think season ticket sales will be way off next year with McCarney returning, even if he makes wholesale changes among his assistants.

I'm new to this board but I've said many times on the Rivals board that McCarney's biggest fault is that he just can't X and O well enough to compete at this level. Not as a head coach. He's clearly poor at game day execution and I think it shows itself by his incessant pacing. He has to be the most uptight head coach in D1 football. But I include in Xs and Os the hiring and managing of O and D coordinators, and the development of offensive and defensive schemes. Steve Loney provided that on offense through two terms, but we haven't had an identity on offense or defense since. Over time this lack of technical acumen waters down McCarney's ability to recruit and motivate -- things he is good at. And what the program is left with is a poorly coached team that is short on talent and lacks motivation. This explains 2-10 in 2003 and maybe 4-8 this year. McCarney got by in 2004 and 2005 because of a weak schedule and some good defensive talent that was mostly recruited when he had momentum in 2000, 2001, and early 2002 (Hobbs, Leaders, Moser, Paris, C. Johnson, Berryman). The cupboard is not bare like it was in 94, but there is not enough talent to win with McCarney.

And don't believe the myth that the ISU job is undesirable because it's been a coaches graveyard. It wasn't a graveyard for Johnny Majors, Earle Bruce, Mack Brown, Jackie Sherrill, and Jimmy Johnson. Donnie Duncan wanted to be an administrator anyway, Criner came from nowhere (Boise State was 1-AA then), and Walden was over 50 and in his last job even if he had been successful. I believe there are talented coaches out there willing to coach in the Big 12, make $750K-$1M a year, and work at a place that is proven to put 55,000 fans in the seats if the product is decent. And by the way, you get a lot of room because the fan based has been kicked in the groin so many times that it will continue to support you after 10 years with a losing record and very few wins against quality opponents. You don't have to do a lot to establish tenure.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: No doubt about it, Mac has 3 games left in his HC career

Great post.

There are a ton of great coaches we could hire. Many of them (e.g. Jim Harbaugh or Bo Pelini) would probably see this as a stepping stone, but I think that's okay as long as they leave the program in better shape than they found it. Others like Steve Loney consider it their dream job.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Mac better be gone at years end. ISU won't seel 15,000 season tickets next year if Mac returns. This is an extremely sad team. If Mac does get fired like 99% of the fans hope atleast next years head coach will have a little something on the roster. He'll have Meyer, Blythe, Scales, a couple good LB's, experienced secondary (may not be good but they'll be experienced atleast), and a couple good kickers coming back. The new coach will have a little bit to work with and the fans can expect to atleast be competitive and hopefully it wont take too long to rebuild. Possibly even make a bowl game?

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Agree Kurimski, I too think there is talent on this team if coached, used right. Yes, there are some BIG weaknesses like the OLine, but some good talent at the skill positions.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

JP might as well be making some contacts now.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Agreed, A Great Post... It kills me to see Coach Mac because of his Passion and Commitment to ISU but things are just not working out...Some of these Asst. Coaches need to retire or move on. My biggest beef with Dan is his game day decisions and the hiring of coaches like Marty Fine, Steve Brickley and Terry Allen who seemed to just get a paycheck and wait for a Head Coaching job somewhere else. Watching the Offense and Special Teams under Fine was the worst.....I wish Jamie Pollard would offer Dan a Asst.AD job and get a Bo Pellini or someone that has been established...HITMAN

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

Bo Pelini would fire the team up. He is 38 and a star already.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I doubt that Pelini would be interested. HOWEVER, as I have stated before, IT IS A GOOD JOB!!! If we were to make that magical hire, and pull in the right guy (whoever he is), Iowa State could be a sleeping giant. The money can be there, I truly believe that. Why does everyone say what a "great" job Mac has done??? Because they don't want to see what Iowa State could be.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    It kills me to see Coach Mac because of his Passion and Commitment to ISU but things are just not working out...
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see his passion for the game. When he talks up the other team before and after a loss, and refuses to express his emotions in the media, I don't see any passion.

College athletics are different than pro sports, because in college the fanbase has to be on your side because the athletes have to be around the fans every day, in class, on campus, and around town. In the pros, those guys live in ritzy neighborhoods, practice all day long, and are just distanced from the public in general. So Mac should be making sure that the public knows that he is as mad about this terrible play as we are, because right now, I don't get that feeling. He seems like he's just going through the motions.

Prospect Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm also sick of the "we're real young" and other excuses. You aren't going to have 15 4 year starters every year. You have to have your youth ready to play at this level from the day they step on the practice field. "If we come out and score more points on offense, make a couple of key stops on defense, get better at coaching, we should have a real good shot to win the game." NO S^%&! I'm sick of the same excuses every week! Just step back, take a look at yourself, and figure it out that whatever you are doing is not working. Then relax for a few minutes, and come back with ideas on how to make a bad situation better. It never happens, and it never will with this staff. Not week to week and definately not half to half.

ISU Bet

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,607
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 89

maybe it is just me, but can anyone else see a striking similarity between ISU coaching and our current situation in Iraq? Maybe it might be time to possibly try something else.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Smile Re: No doubt about it, Mac has 3 games left in his HC career

Keeler says the buyout would cost $675,000. I don't know wwhere he got those figures, but compared to the lost revenue from keeping Mac, here's what I think happened:
    Mac walks into his house Sat. night after returning from Mahattan and says to his wife, "Start packing and call a realator. I've got to post my resume and read the want ads."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    Keeler says the buyout would cost $675,000. I don't know wwhere he got those figures, but compared to the lost revenue from keeping Mac, here's what I think happened:
    Mac walks into his house Sat. night after returning from Mahattan and says to his wife, "Start packing and call a realator. I've got to post my resume and read the want ads."
    We owe Mac for his base salary for the remaining 3 years of his contract. His base salary is $225,000.

What is the opportunity cost of all the lost ticket revenue? Concessions? Parking? Merchandising? $675,000 is peanuts compared to what the athletic department is losing while Mac drills this program into the ground.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Comes down to less than 2000 season tickets.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

2000 season tickets over 3 years.