Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

collection agencies

holy crap. just got off the phone with a collection agency and need to vent a little bit. anyone had to deal with these people before? the first time i call to dispute the claim, she tells me to call the company it is against and hangs up on me. so i do that, they tell me i shouldn't have a bill, i check with my bank to make sure that the payment was received, which it was, and i call the collection agency back. again, she says she can't do anything, and hangs up on me again. i call back a third time and question her method of hanging up, and ask to talk to her supervisor. she hangs up on me again!! WTF??? anyone else had to deal with this stuff? any suggestions on retaliation? what's a guy to do here? it isn't the money, it's the principle.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 77

Re: collection agencies

Find out what state the collection agency is operating out of and get online, find the website for that state's Attorney General's office and email him a consumer complaint. That works, it really does. In college I skip traced for a 3rd party collection agency and when our collectors got a complaint via the AG's office it was a big deal.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116

I was caught in a situation once where some collection agency bought the Accounts Receivable list from a company in the middle of shutting down in hopes they could scare up some money from people on some phony charge. They called me and were very unprofessional about the money I supposedly owed them and said they were going to destroy my credit if I didn't pay a certain amount by such and such date. I had an attorney friend of mine write them a little letter and I have never heard from them again nor have they touched my credit. There are some legitimate collection agencies but there are a lot more bottom feeders that will stop at nothing to gain a buck by scare tactics. Good luck

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 355

Call her and tell her you sent the money. Then call her the next day and ask if she received the money. Then just do it every day. Harrase the crap out of her.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

it's a $90 bill i supposedly own. the bank shows i made my last payment on oct 17th for 115.49 which payed for the month of november. i canceled the policy nov. 15th and had to go through hoops just so i wouldn't get a service charge. now i have a collection agency saying i owe money when i haven't even been notified by the business i supposedly owe?

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Generally the only way for a collection agency to remove a balanced they claim is owed by you. Is to get confirmation from the person the charge was initially charged by. They won't take your word. So you need to call back the person that told you that you don't owe anything, and tell them to contact the collection agency, to resolve the issue.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    Generally the only way for a collection agency to remove a balanced they claim is owed by you. Is to get confirmation from the person the charge was initially charged by. They won't take your word. So you need to call back the person that told you that you don't owe anything, and tell them to contact the collection agency, to resolve the issue.

I agree with everything you said here. Obviously they're not going to believe everyone who just says they don't owe that. But like ISU_BET said, it's the principle. Why couldn't this lady just tell him that instead of hanging up and having him figure that out for himself. She could have at least told him the steps he needs to take instead of just saying she can't do anything about it and then hang up.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by every_yard View Post
    I agree with everything you said here. Obviously they're not going to believe everyone who just says they don't owe that. But like ISU_BET said, it's the principle. Why couldn't this lady just tell him that instead of hanging up and having him figure that out for himself. She could have at least told him the steps he needs to take instead of just saying she can't do anything about it and then hang up.
    The agency only gets paid on the money THEY collect, their time is better spent calling other debtors then walking him through it. Sad, but true. I work with alot of collection agencies, the best thing you can do is call the company and let them know you aren't happy with their collections vendor and maybe they will look for another company to work with. When it comes down to it they are acting as an agent of the original company you worked with so they don't want to look bad either...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Collection agencies tend to be unethical bottom-feeders. Collection agency employees tend to be idiots.

Both the agencies and their employees can be held personally accountable for breaking the law, and they break the law nearly every day.

Here is how you can nail a collector:
    https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.s..._ORG_CODE=PU01

Here's a guy who's made a pretty good living out of taking on collection agencies:
    Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details