Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Siding Contractors

My wife and I are looking to get the siding replaced on our home. We've been working on the inside for the past couple of years. Now it's time to do some work outside.

Has anybody had this done lately? Who would you recommend?

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 55

Re: Siding Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCy View Post
    My wife and I are looking to get the siding replaced on our home. We've been working on the inside for the past couple of years. Now it's time to do some work outside.

Has anybody had this done lately? Who would you recommend?
    I did it myself and it was pretty crappy work that took up half of my summer (I'm a teacher). I didn't do metal around the windows and have had a couple of people come give estimates on that. The people I have been most impressed with were the NuVue Windows crew. They were the cheapest and seemed like pretty stand up guys. Since my estimate wasn't for the actual siding I don't know if that would be different, but I would recommend giving them a call...they're out of Granger I want to say.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

What kind of siding are you planning on putting on?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zumbro clones View Post
    What kind of siding are you planning on putting on?
    I haven't gotten the final word from the boss, but I'm guessing it'll be vinyl. You know how it is. She picks out what she thinks will look good and asks what I think. Whether I agree or not won't make an impact on the final product.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know of any siding contractors in Metropolis?

Is your house somewhere else?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, my summer home is in Altoona, IA

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I just had siding and windows done this spring from Custom Windows and Siding. Welcome :: Custom Window Creation

The siding they used is vinyl with styrofoam molded in as a backing to make a quite ridgid and firm surface. You can't push it in like regular siding and it adds insulation value. They tore off the old siding and wrapped the entire house in TyVec. The windows all have aluminum around them so there will be no more painting. The owner of the company is Jamie Papian and did all of the window work and trim himself. He had a crew of about 12 side the house and detached garage in one day. Jamie would tear something off if he felt it didn't look right and do it over.

He required no money up front and did a decent job of cleaning up after themselves. They also had to do some carpentry work on the front of my house since there was some decorative trim that gave my house a 70's look. Overall I was very impressed with all of their work.

Feel free to IM me if you want some more info.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We called contractors (from the Yellow Pages) that we noticed working in the area. Most siding companies put up a sign next to the road when they do a remodeling project.

Once you pick a couple of contractors for bids, ask for recent references so you can see their work and check up on them.

Make sure they are insured and licensed. You can also check the Better Business Bureau to make sure that there are no complaints outstanding.

Hope that helps.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

The most important thing I would recommend is to get several bids and talk to each about their product and methods. They will all make themselves sound great but once you have talked to a few you can start to tell which products might suit you better and which folks will give you the best work. I dont know how you are fixed for windows but it usually works better if you replace those before siding. If your windows are fine now then youre all set. Get references and look at work they have done too. Some people are just plain sloppy.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 1

As a contractor who has seen a bunch of products come and go and installed nearly everything, I can tell you a couple of things. Not all vinyl is created equally, if you are going to go with vinyl make sure it has a good mil thickness and more importantly, make sure it is manufactured with virgin vinyl (no recycled material). Make sure the manufacture offers and good warranty, there are some that offer a lifetime warranty against fading, cracking, splintering, etc. Steel is a great product but quite a bit more expensive and not everyone likes the look of steel siding. I would push you towards Hardie (cement board). The look is far above and beyond the look of steel or vinyl IMHO. With the new paint products available (Sherwin Williams Duration) it is practically maintenance free. Since most quality new construction is done with Hardie it is a good resell feature as well. Those are just my two sense.

Last edited by Covenant Clone; 04-21-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Call Farm & Home on Hubbell Ave in Des Moines. They did my house ~10 years ago & it still looks great. They used "good" steel siding. They just did my neighbor's house and he called & thanked me for my recommendation, he was that pleased. Just tell them I recommended them to you.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

I had siding installed on my previous house. A school techer put it up and did an excllant job with some company oversight. Slow at first and then he pick up speed. Good choice. I talked to six companies and Sears Siding was outrageous. The outside noise and extra insulation was quite noticeable after the work was complete. The Blue Angels passing overhead were much less noticeable during Offutt Days. I had lousy Masonite siding on the back three sides and hardwood on the front. I just did the three sides. Used the metal around the windows. The only problem I had was ability to crank up my air vent on my greenhouse - clearance problems by choice - I elected to keep old siding on and cover up.
    I already had several windows in the Florida room so I did need the ventilation.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by bhoodjer View Post
    As a contractor who has seen a bunch of products come and go and installed nearly everything, I can tell you a couple of things. Not all vinyl is created equally, if you are going to go with vinyl make sure it has a good mil thickness and more importantly, make sure it is manufactured with virgin vinyl (no recycled material). Make sure the manufacture offers and good warranty, there are some that offer a lifetime warranty against fading, cracking, splintering, etc. Steel is a great product but quite a bit more expensive and not everyone likes the look of steel siding. I would push you towards Hardie (cement board). The look is far above and beyond the look of steel or vinyl IMHO. With the new paint products available (Sherwin Williams Duration) it is practically maintenance free. Since most quality new construction is done with Hardie it is a good resell feature as well. Those are just my two sense.
    Some good advice there except for one note, all siding requires regular cleaning, I am not sure hardie plank will be anymore maintenance "free" than vinyl siding. But it is a much better product.

Just make sure you don't let a contractor try to sell on something being maintenance free. Because there is no outdoor surface that is.

Also for looking for contractors, try out Home Improvement | Home Repair | Home Remodeling

In order to be listed with them you have to be licensed and insured, plus have good references. It will help you with pre qualifying the contractors.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

Hardy plank or any concrete board should be cleaned like anything but most folks dont and it still is far better than the others. The problem is that you pay for the difference and its quite a bit. Its really only worth it if a) you already have a ton of equity and wont end up upside down on the place b)can but it on yourself and thus save a ton of money or c) have a real damn expensive house where such an upgrade is not a waste.

I will echo the diff in types of vinyl. There are even diff types of brackets that they nail to the wall. The double folded variety apparently hold a lot better than the single variety.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just before we moved over here, we considered putting on new siding. Our current siding is still okay, but it was a "handyman special" and is ugly.

We got 5 quotes, and let me tell you, there are some rip-off guys out there. $30,000 for vinyl siding??? Plus they offered financing...

I would really think twice about putting steel siding on a home. It's "not good" in a fire, in that it turns your house into a blast furnace.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details