Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

There shouldn't be any lingering fear of 'starting over'

ISU sits at 0-5 in the conference and 3-6 overall. 20 seniors graduate from this squad. 4/5 of the offensive line departs along with Flynn, Curvey, and Moorehead. Let's face it, with the schedule next year we are 'rebuilding' regardless of who is in charge. I've been in favor of a change since the late 90's. The '02 campaign and the loss at home to UCONN should have sealed it as far as I am concerned. And yet, in one of the numerous bone-headed moves of his AD career BVD extended the contract of a coach who ISU was in no danger of losing to anyone else.

I recognize that DM lifted this program from horrible to mediocre. But the program is once again regressing. If there is a 'politically correct' way for JP to ease DM out of this position by all means. I think it is beyond argument that change is needed.

URBCLONE

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: There shouldn't be any lingering fear of 'starting over'

It will be interesting as I don't see how the "hype and spin" that the coach uses is going to work anymore after today's game..

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 249

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    ISU sits at 0-5 in the conference and 3-6 overall. 20 seniors graduate from this squad. 4/5 of the offensive line departs along with Flynn, Curvey, and Moorehead. Let's face it, with the schedule next year we are 'rebuilding' regardless of who is in charge. I've been in favor of a change since the late 90's. The '02 campaign and the loss at home to UCONN should have sealed it as far as I am concerned.
    Wow! I've finally found someone who feels pretty much like I do about DM and his tenure at ISU. The '02 debacle sealed it for me too, and solidified my opinion that DM just doesn't have what it takes to make ISU a contender in the Big 12.

As I see it, DM has a double-downside, if you can call it that. He can't make ISU a Big 12 contender, and he seems prone to recurring seasons like this year. Wasn't it just a few years ago that ISU went 2-10? This is simply not acceptable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Wow! I've finally found someone who feels pretty much like I do about DM and his tenure at ISU. The '02 debacle sealed it for me too, and solidified my opinion that DM just doesn't have what it takes to make ISU a contender in the Big 12.

As I see it, DM has a double-downside, if you can call it that. He can't make ISU a Big 12 contender, and he seems prone to recurring seasons like this year. Wasn't it just a few years ago that ISU went 2-10? This is simply not acceptable.
    I've been beating this drum for years and trust me, paid the price for it on numerous occasions. To your last point, here is a season by season recap of the DM era at ISU

1995 3-8
    1996 2-9
    1997 1-10
    1998 3-8
    1999 4-7
    2000 9-3
    2001 7-5
    2002 7-7
    2003 2-10
    2004 7-5
    2005 7-5
    2006 3-6

URBCLONE

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 170

We are 19-26 since the beginning of the 2003 season Since 2000 we look pretty good though at 42-41, hey, it's above 500. Then, take away 2000 and look what we got 33-38 since 2001. We all know about his over all record. Come on people put it all together. All the Mackies want to only talk about what he's done since 2000 well, what has he done since 2000? I think 33-38 pretty much speaks for itself. Heck, he has to win 2 out of the last three to keep a winning record including 2000.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mackies say he turned the program around from where we were before, but it almost makes you think the program is regressing back to the his years of the late 90s when you look at '03 and this year. Heck, '04 and '05 were seasons where ISU capitalized on barely beating the conference bottom-feeders on the Big12 schedule (although the CU win was nice). The 2nd half of the '02 season was extremely disappointing and I agree w/ those who mentioned the UCONN loss. There should at least be an "8" in the win column for '02. Was that not UCONNs first year at D-I (previously IAA)? No excuse. The guy has got to go, unless we're all happy with getting our hearts ripped out year in and year out.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 249

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    Mackies say he turned the program around from where we were before, but it almost makes you think the program is regressing back to the his years of the late 90s when you look at '03 and this year. Heck, '04 and '05 were seasons where ISU capitalized on barely beating the conference bottom-feeders on the Big12 schedule (although the CU win was nice). The 2nd half of the '02 season was extremely disappointing and I agree w/ those who mentioned the UCONN loss. There should at least be an "8" in the win column for '02. Was that not UCONNs first year at D-I (previously IAA)? No excuse. The guy has got to go, unless we're all happy with getting our hearts ripped out year in and year out.
    Someone at one time on some Cyclone forum somehwere posted that Jim Walden was ultimately done in because he basically recruited D-II talent during his last few years at ISU. Is the same thing happening to DM? Someone here posted the rankings of ISU's recruiting classes for the past two years and there has been a marked drop in the class ratings. Is the ISU recruiting effort not where it needs to be? Is the program regressing to that of the late '90s because the talent level is dropping down to where it was back then?

DM seems like a very intense and competitive guy, but that intensity is not getting transferred to the players. Whatever they are taught in practice is seemingly not getting transferred to game day, or what they are being taught is getting tranferred to game day, but not sufficient for the task at hand. Things always change with time...game style, game strategy, coaching strategy, methods required to reach young people, etc. Some coaches keep up with those changes, some don't. It seems to me like DM and his staff are not keeping up with the changing times. If they aren't able to keep up, they need to move on.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 91

Dan is basically good for 3-7 wins a year, thats it.
    If thats all you want, then you've got it.

I think most people want a little more, and I dont think it will keep 50,000+ in the seats...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree, it can't get much worse. I will continue to support the team and go to the games, but we need a change.

I heard a rumor (BACK THEN) that BVD would have fired DM after the 2003 season, but he retained him after the whole LE fiasco because he wanted to maintain some kind of stability in the athletic department. Thanks Larry.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

Yeah, the team/program certainly can't get much worse than it is right now. Not sure why everyone is so afraid of a change at this point. Luke Vander Sanden talked tonight on the reaction show that he doesn't think a coaching change is the answer. What is then? He couldn't or wouldn't say. What is there to be afraid of with a coaching change?

Pollard needs to "sell hope", and there won't be ANY hope at all if we go into next season with all the same personnel, period.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 604

This is the fault of the big drinking, woman carousing, swearing LE? Thx, Larry. Neber did figuree out why he would not travel with hius team till he was fired by thwe Mizzou frat episodes.

Now we are in a pickle with 2007 to be the same inept team. We will not recruit the broad side of a barn. Blythe might not even go pro at this rate.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by uro cy View Post
    Dan is basically good for 3-7 wins a year, thats it.
    If thats all you want, then you've got it.

I think most people want a little more, and I dont think it will keep 50,000+ in the seats...
    And there's no consistency. It just makes those good years look like flukes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

Quote Originally Posted by dccyclone25 View Post
    And there's no consistency. It just makes those good years look like flukes.
    I'm wondering the same thing.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,328
    Given: 928

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    This is the fault of the big drinking, woman carousing, swearing LE? Thx, Larry. Neber did figuree out why he would not travel with hius team till he was fired by thwe Mizzou frat episodes.

Now we are in a pickle with 2007 to be the same inept team. We will not recruit the broad side of a barn. Blythe might not even go pro at this rate.
    Blythe hasn't had the season to go pro this year. He'd end up as a low draft choice in the NFL or in the AFL or CFL if he were to jump ship this year.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1

Seasonal Records

I've always thought the idea of fans & the media talking about 7 vs. 9 win seasons is the wrong focus.

ISU is a BCS conference team. So our benchmark should be against the Big 12, other BCS schools and Bowl games. Games against teams like UNI, UNLV, Army, ILL State, Tenn Tech should be wins 90%+ of the time. IMO they are exhibition games.

Here is ISU's record versus our peers since ISU's peak season 2000:

2000 vs. BCS/Bowl: 7-3 vs. Big 12: 5-3
    2001 vs. BCS/Bowl: 5-5 vs. Big 12: 4-4
    2002 vs. BCS/Bowl: 5-6 vs. Big 12: 4-4
    2003 vs. BCS/Bowl: 0-9 vs. Big 12: 0-8
    2004 vs. BCS/Bowl: 5-5 vs. Big 12: 4-4
    2005 vs. BCS/Bowl: 5-5 vs. Big 12: 4-4
    2006 vs. BCS/Bowl: 0-6 vs. Big 12: 0-5
    7 Yr Tot vs. BCS/Bowl: 27-39 or 41%
    7 Yr Tot vs. Big 12: 21-32 or 40%

Sure without the 2003 & 2006 seasons ISU has won more games against our peers than we have lost. However, the above record isn't going to excite the Clone fan base. No season other than 2000 has been better than a .500 record & the 03&06 seasons are complete buzz kills- they set the program back a couple years. We've been treading water for the last 6 years.