Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 0

OT Digital SLR Lenses

After reading the thread about digital SLRs and finding it very helpful I thought I would try to glean as much information as I can. I plan on getting the Nikon D40 and want to know what I should get for lenses. Will probably have four uses: 1. Taking photos of livestock for marketing purposes (can get close and they aren't a moving object) 2. Pictures at High School soccer games 3. Pictures at indoor concerts (usually smaller spaces, think high school activities; both stage lit plays and full lit gym for band and chorus concerts) 4. For trips and family functions for scrapbooking. Thanks in advance.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: OT Digital SLR Lenses

With the D40 you are limited because of it not having an internal focus motor. If you don't mind manual focus the 50mm f1.8 is the best value lens you can get. It will be great for any low light situations like concerts. I have one for my D50 and it gets most of the shots for me.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

18-200 VR. It will do everything you want it to and more, works perfectly on the 40, and is actually available now. You'll likely never need another lens.

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

Can't help you much with the D40 as I'm a Canon guy. However if you plan on shooting indoors at HS events you are going to want the largest aperture lens you can get (smaller f number). HS gyms are horribly lit normally and a HS play is probably decently lit.

You can check out fredmiranda.com: Specialized in digital cameras, photoshop actions, and digital darkroom for more advice. There is tons of information there, however they can be rather elitist (IMO) and a lot of guys there won't even blink an eye at dropping $1-2k+ for glass. I've got a hard time with doing that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

How would you guys compare an 18-200 VR vs an 80-300 VR? I like the extra zoom that the 300 gives for things like soccer games but at the same time like how versatile the 18-200 is. I would probably only get one or the other. In addition I think I will get a manual focus 50mm like what gocyclones is talking about. My other question is what would give the best picture at 20-30ft with a single focus object outdoors in normal sunlight and preferably have the background and foreground unfocused.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Thumbs Up

Depends on your definition of "best picture." I'm assuming you mean a portrait with a soft background, and a 50mm 1.8 would give you a nice short depth of field. Just watch your focus indicator.
    I'm assuming you meant a 70-300 VR, since Nikon doesn't make a 80-300 to my knowledge. If you don't mind switching lenses for close stuff then go for it, but the difference from 200-300, compared to the difference from 18-70, is really insignificant. From my experience, you'll miss being able to zoom all the way out to wide angle. Plus, the price of a 70-300 + a 18-55 is almost exactly the same as a 18-200, so you'd be silly to spend it on 2 lenses instead of 1.
    Then again, I hate switching lenses, because it means missed shots. Unless you have another body to stick a short zoom or wide-angle on, don't buy a dedicated telephoto. Not when you have a do it all zoom for less than $700 on the market.

Hope some of this helps at all.

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Let me see if I can recall, from my photography days.... lower F stop means narrower depth of field and faster. The paradox.

Thumbs Up

Because f stop is really a fraction, not a whole number, hence the /. f/2.8 = 1/2.8, f/5.6 = 1/5.6. Therefore the lower number is really the largest opening, hence the fastest lens.

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,597
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 135

Consumer Reports has an article and rates them in an issue from a couple months ago, FYI.

#BEATIOWA