Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 11,041, Level: 31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    830
    Points
    11,041
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Question What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    SouthernHawk's signature block and this recent post by DJK15:
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    When was the last time you guys sold out a FB game that wasn't against Iowa/Nebraska or filled with thousands of UNI Panther fans?

    I'm half joking/half serious with this question, I'd actually like to know. I graduated from ISU in 06 and I don't recall too many sellouts.
    ...have got me wondering. It seems like there is a good handful of Iowa State students and alumni who aren't Cyclone fans. I guess I can kind of understand that maybe some of them grew up rooting for other teams before coming to Iowa State. However, if you enjoyed your experience at Iowa State, is there a reason why you wouldn't at least start rooting for your school's/alma mater's sports teams, even if they don't necessarily supplant some previous loyalty in the #1 spot? For me, it was a natural progression of things to become a Cyclone fan because my undergraduate experience at Iowa State was such a positive one, even though I hadn't followed Cyclone sports much before I arrived on campus.

    Anyone care to explain the phenomenon? I'm not trying to call anyone out or start a flame throwing thread. I'm just honestly curious to hear why some people who are proud to be Iowa State students or alumni aren't at least somewhat interested in cheering on their school's athletic teams.


    BvK, you've got to quit making so much sense because I "must spread some rep around" before giving more to you.
    (Original quote by wonkadog.)

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 213,232, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,017
    Points
    213,232
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 9

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    I'm cool with ISU winning. In fact, I rather enjoy seeing them do well.

    The reason I kept my SH handle is basically because I came here for the debate - which I've gotten - and it's all been fun.

    But like I've said, I'm proud to be a Stater, and although ISU isn't my #1 team, I'd rather them win than lose.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 38,725, Level: 60
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cydar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,088
    Points
    38,725
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 199

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    When I went to ISU I knew some students who just weren't into sports.

    Of course most of those people would not drink with us either.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 84,190, Level: 90
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,360
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,079
    Points
    84,190
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post
    When I went to ISU I knew some students who just weren't into sports.

    Of course most of those people would not drink with us either.
    I also have many friends that just seem to care less about ISU sports, or sports in general. It's really disheartening!



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 38,909, Level: 60
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Bewilderme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,495
    Points
    38,909
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 56

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    The way I see it, there are more and more people nowadays who see all the negatives in sports...the corruption, egotistic athletes, overpaid coaches, and universities that give more attention to their sports than they do to the actual educations their students receive. These are all things that definitely turn me off of college sports. However, there are many positives that keep me following Iowa State. The main reason is that it is in line with family tradition for me, and I like to keep my ties with the state of Iowa since I live in Minnesota.


    'Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.'
    -Einstein

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 11,136, Level: 31
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Splendid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    543
    Points
    11,136
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    My boy is an IU grad, still lives in IC, works in CR and pulls for the Clones over the Hawks, works both ways.


    :) Want the stadium full? Bring a friend!

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,208, Level: 67
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    DJK15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,702
    Points
    47,208
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    I've been a Hawkeye fan all my life. I went to Iowa State because their design program is better than Iowa's. I'm not going to base my college education on loyalty to a certain athletic program. Hell, I knew a lot of guys going to ISU who were die-hard Hawkeye fans.



  8. #8
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,972
    Points
    302,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 692

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    I don't totally get it either. I was an Illinois and DePaul fan in high school (growing up in Chicago), but as soon as I knew I was going to Iowa State, I was a Cyclone for life.

    Of course it has to be tougher if you go to a school that is the arch-rival of the one you rooted for growing up.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 16,934, Level: 39
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    MaxPower57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    924
    Points
    16,934
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    I grew up a Hawkeye fan but when I came to ISU my allegiance quickly changed. I really don't care about what people think or who they root for but why do some ISU students have to be "that guy" and where their Hawk stuff everyday and flaunt it like they are making some kind of statement? It just really came down to pride for me, and I'm proud of being an Iowa Stater.


    --------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 11,041, Level: 31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    830
    Points
    11,041
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    I've been a Hawkeye fan all my life. I went to Iowa State because their design program is better than Iowa's. I'm not going to base my college education on loyalty to a certain athletic program. Hell, I knew a lot of guys going to ISU who were die-hard Hawkeye fans.
    I understand why someone wouldn't base where they attend college on sports loyalties alone. It makes sense to me that someone would choose Iowa State over Iowa for programs like engineering, design, etc. (just like I would understand why someone would choose Iowa over Iowa State for certain programs like medical majors, English, etc.).

    What I don't completely understand is why your sports loyalties wouldn't be influenced by where you spend 4 or 5 (or 6 or 7 ) of the most formative, memorable years of your life. Obviously, not everyone is a sports fan, but for those who are, one of the best ways to connect with the college community is to root for your school's sports teams. I'm just curious why some people make such a strong division between sports loyalties and the community of which they choose to be a part. For me, at least, they became pretty well integrated when I was an Iowa State student.


    BvK, you've got to quit making so much sense because I "must spread some rep around" before giving more to you.
    (Original quote by wonkadog.)

  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 14,220, Level: 36
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    942
    Points
    14,220
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    I've been a Hawkeye fan all my life. I went to Iowa State because their design program is better than Iowa's. I'm not going to base my college education on loyalty to a certain athletic program. Hell, I knew a lot of guys going to ISU who were die-hard Hawkeye fans.
    And you don't see a problem with this? You wonder why ISU has a heard time fundraising from their alumni (for sports of course)...



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,208, Level: 67
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    DJK15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,702
    Points
    47,208
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    I grew up a Hawkeye fan but when I came to ISU my allegiance quickly changed. I really don't care about what people think or who they root for but why do some ISU students have to be "that guy" and where their Hawk stuff everyday and flaunt it like they are making some kind of statement? It just really came down to pride for me, and I'm proud of being an Iowa Stater.
    I have to admit...I was "that guy" quite often during my years at ISU. But I wasn't flaunting it. You bring up pride - I was just proud to be a Hawkeye fan.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 19,287, Level: 42
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,625
    Points
    19,287
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    Winning solves a lot of things. Iowa has been ingrained in a lot of areas....because they have won more often. The teams that win more games generally have bigger fan bases. It is still hard for me to get tho. Go to ISU = Cheer for ISU in my mind



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 16,934, Level: 39
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    MaxPower57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    924
    Points
    16,934
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    I have to admit...I was "that guy" quite often during my years at ISU. But I wasn't flaunting it. You bring up pride - I was just proud to be a Hawkeye fan.
    Fair enough, I just hope you are still a fan of the university itself and what it represents sports aside. Plus it doesn't hurt to root for ISU when they aren't playing the Hawks. Just do me a favor, next time some of your fellow Hawks start talking out of their ***** about Lames this and Moo U that give them a swift kick in the face. I assume you enjoyed your years here loyalties aside.


    --------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 31,065, Level: 54
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,823
    Points
    31,065
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

    Re: What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Splendid View Post
    My boy is an IU grad, still lives in IC, works in CR and pulls for the Clones over the Hawks, works both ways.
    If your boy is an IU grad, why would he move to IC? Just messing with ya.

    One of my friends freshman year was a big time U of I fan. Seneca liked to give him crap in class.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM