Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Are you serious?

Wow. Just....wow.

FOXNews.com - Yale Art Student Claims She Used Blood Samples, Video of Self-Induced Abortions for Senior Project - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Yale Art Student Claims She Used Blood Samples, Video of Self-Induced Abortions for Senior Project

Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Yale student who claims she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" and then took drugs to induce miscarriages for her senior art project says she will showcase the stomach-turning display next week ó complete with her own blood samples and videos from the terminated possible pregnancies.

The story of art major Aliza Shvarts' upcoming exhibit, which the Yale Daily News broke Thursday, has sparked widespread disgust and outrage.

"Itís clearly depraved. I think the poor woman has got some major mental problems," said National Right to Life Committee President Wanda Franz. "Sheís a serial killer. This is just a horrible thought."

Critics on campus have said the display sounds like a shock-and-awe look at the highly sensitive issue of abortion and called it a sick stunt to get attention. The abortion-rights group NARAL Pro-Choice America also condemned the exhibit.

"This 'project' is offensive and insensitive to the women who have suffered the heartbreak of miscarriage," said NARAL's communication director Ted Miller in a statement.

But Shvarts said the goal of the project is to encourage debate and discussion about the connection between art and the human body. "I hope it inspires some sort of discourse," Shvarts, whose age was withheld, told Yale's newspaper. "Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

The senior's campus phone has been disconnected, and she did not respond to e-mailed requests for an interview. Yale University also didn't return calls seeking comment.

Shvarts told the school paper that her sperm donors, whom she declined to identify, were not paid for their participation but added that she did require them to be screened for STDs.

The drugs she took to induce contractions and miscarriages were legal and herbal in nature, according to Shvarts ó who didn't specify what they were. The art major insisted she wasn't concerned about the effects of her research on her own body.

But ob-gyn Dr. Manuel Alvarez, FOXNews.com's health managing editor, said the young woman should have been worried because what she was doing was extremely unsafe.

"Itís quite dangerous," Alvarez said. "She was playing Russian roulette with her life, if she indeed did this to these unborn children for the sake of art. I donít even have the words to express the disbelief that I have."

Alvarez said herbal remedies to trigger uterine contractions have long been used in countries where abortions are illegal ó including certain raspberry teas and strong cinnamon teas ó but they are far from consistently effective, and they tend to be risky.

"They interfere with pregnancy and are either toxic to the fetus or cause contractions," he explained. "The reason they are effective is that they create side effects, but none of them are 100 percent prescriptive to be abortive."

Shvarts wouldn't say how many times she was artificially inseminated and actually got pregnant for the project ó which she described to the Yale paper as a huge cube hanging from the ceiling and swathed in plastic sheeting smeared with her blood from the reported miscarriages. The existence and number of pregnancies Shvarts may have had weren't independently confirmed.

Videos taken of what the college student says were self-induced abortions in her bathtub will be projected both on the cube's sides and on the gallery walls.

The exhibit will be on public display from April 22 to May 1 at Yale's Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall. Shvarts will be honored at a reception April 25.

Franz likened Shvarts' process of artificial insemination and induced miscarriages to the human experimentation that took place during the Holocaust. She said the Yale senior's work highlights a stark truth about American society's approach to abortion.

"She really has hit on a reality that what she has done is legal," Franz said. "Anything she chooses to do here canít be stopped in terms of legality. And there are people fighting for her right to do this."

Alvarez believes such an endeavor in the name of art is offensive, harmful and insensitive, especially to women who face difficult choices about pregnancy or who aren't able to conceive.

"Anybody who trivializes a womanís choice to terminate a pregnancy is really not contributing anything positive to these matters," he said. "I donít see anything artistic about this. ... Itís completely unethical and immoral. What have we accomplished? Absolutely nothing."

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 44

Re: Are you serious?

I am honestly speechless

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

sounds like the kind of girl you'd want to bring home to ma and pa......

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 50

You can tell she's crazy because she had to pay for the...

I'm not gonna go there.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

That is ****ed up. Regardless of political or religious views - that is just...

have you ever got caught outside In a strong rainfall? Yes or NO. If it"s yes, then you might half felt the pane of hard(tought) rain on you head. If it hurt"s then it"s tough. Yes or no. Okay I'm right and you know it.

So alothough you attempt"ed to say you didn"t understnad, now you do. Fair enough?

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 8

You know it has to be REALLY bad if the pro-life and pro-choice people are on the same side of an issue involving abortions.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Wow, a murderer. The smilies say it all.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    You know it has to be REALLY bad if the pro-life and pro-choice people are on the same side of an issue involving abortions.
    That is the telling part of this story. *Everyone* thinks it's disgusting.

Change is the only constant in the universe, which is why I empty my pockets every day.

Starter
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

For her next exhibit, maybe she can carve out her ovaries so she can't do that again.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

I just saw this on Digg awhile ago. Very sad if it's true, but someone in the article's comment sections indicated that it may be a hoax.

I'm pretty liberal myself, but this is just sad. As an artist, I can understand her message, but daaaayum there are other ways to go about it!

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

No joke, read that to my roommate, and his first comment was "Why did she at least make a bunch of guy's days and have sex with them??" On another note, that's sooo wrong I can't even begin to explain.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 913
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

If true, that is just downright wrong, disgusting, immoral, etc.

The only good thing that I hope comes of this is that more people realize that this is just an exaggerated case of abortion that happens in this world every day. Abortion is terrible and IMO should ONLY be an option with seriously sick and twisted rape/incest cases.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,053
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    sounds like the kind of girl you'd want to bring home to ma and pa......
    My first thought was that you are right........if you use a body bag or cremation urn, but I changed my mind when I quickly realized that I would be no better than she.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

It's too bad she doesn't know too many expecting Hawkeye fans..