Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Bring back Johnny Majors or:

someone like him. My first two years at ISU were the last two for Johnny Majors. As a spectator he was a great coach. Both his offense and defense were much more aggressive than the current versions and in the short time he was there, he put quite a few players into the pros. He recruited Florida heavily and brought in quite a few outstanding players from that state. The offense was the normal configuration at that time of a halfback, fullback, TE, and two wideouts. Both running backs were used to run the ball and the TE's and RB's were also used as receivers. Keith Krepfle was a TE who may have caught as many as 50 passes in a year. The offense regularly threw the ball long to stretch the defense. When we got leads the offense was not shut down to run the clock. I remember a game where we had a 30-40 point lead (I think it was against Oklahoma State) and with time running out we threw a 40-50 yard bomb into the endzone for a score as time expired. Johnny Majors like to run trick plays on offense and they usually worked. The defense was aggressive. Pass defense was primarily man with the corners lining up a couple of yards in front of the receivers. The goal was to shut them down in 3 plays and force them to give up the ball. None of this bend and bend and bend and get the ball after a kickoff. My favorite player of those years was Matt Blair. He made some blocks on punt returns that decleated some opponents.

Some will argue that if we get another Johnny Majors, they will eventually leave for a better offer and that is probably true, but when Johnny left, the ISU job was a job that many up and coming coaches wanted and he left a lot of very talented players. Johnny Majors was a great recruiter and a lot of his assistant coaches went on to coach their own teams. At the time we were competitive with the best teams in the Big-8 and dominated some of the worst teams in the conference. As a fan, I never thought that we were out-coached in a game.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Re: Bring back Johnny Majors or:

All true. This was the highpoint of Clone football. Glory Days.

Mark Farley has the drive.
    So does Bo Pelini.
    Any other people out there who could do it all? Recruit, coach, be nice, be taskmaster, be diplomatic, be frank, maintain a good staff, be a well rounded coach.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post

So does Bo Pelini.
    Any other people out there who could do it all? Recruit, coach, be nice, be taskmaster, be diplomatic, be frank, maintain a good staff, be a well rounded coach.
    I've heard Bo Pelini a lot and how he'd like to get back at Texas and Oklahoma. Was he an assistant at LSU when Iowa beat them with "The Catch?" Think he'd also like to get back at Iowa?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post

So does Bo Pelini.
    Coach Major's was last seen a few month's ago judging a Barb Que cook off in Lynchberg, Tennesse. He follows the cook off circuit these days, he was spotted with an adult mixed beverage in his left hand ( he always had a cramp in is left hand that a beverage glass seemed to fit in). Yes, it was an event being held at the Jack Daniels facility, he was inspecting the Pulled Pork and ingredients for the mash. He tasted all the Barb que to make sure it had the required amount of "Jack" in the "sauce". He also consumed the finished product from the facility (remember the "cramp"). He and the judges were held in "high" regard for their "impaired" judging ability. My wife and I were there as spectators, I had a ISU Football T-shirt on that Saturday, humid and sultry ( maybe it was the "Jack and Coke") and who comes up to me but Coach Majors! Had a great 20 minute "Walk down Memory Lane" with him. remarkable job he and staff did in those years. I will always believe that was "ISU FOOTBALL" By the way the Pork Ribs were out of this world. A guy from Georgia won, no maybe it was Alabama, I don't remember. "Jack and Coke"