Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Intel chip and MS Vista question

I'm in the market for a new computer. I'm planning on getting a fairly high end consumer machine with Intel chips, 4 GB of RAM, and a higher end video card. Couple questions.

In regards to the Intel chips, is there an easy answer as to which is the best? Duo, Quad, Extreme? From what I've read, if I'm wanting to edit HD video on this machine, I should be okay with the Quad chip set.

In regards to Vista, this 32 bit vs 64 bit decision is driving me crazy. I've found some info on the advantages/disadvantages but not enough to make an informed decision. Any help? Is everything headed to 64 bit eventually?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41

Re: Intel chip and MS Vista question

32 bit vista won't be able to take advantage of 4 gigs of ram.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 293
    Given: 141

The Core 2 Duo or Quad will do what you want, of course the Quad handling multi-tasking even more remarkably. With the current threading capabilities of apps, you don't notice multi-cores much within the same app but you'll notice it when running more than one app or having things go in the background. I would stay away from the Extreme chips for price/performance ratio considerations.

You'll get an endless debate on 32 vs 64 but in reality 32 is going to be mainstream until at least Windows 7 hist in 2010. There are still quite a few driver and app compatibility issues with 64bit Vista and unless you plan on going over 4GB ram, you won't notice a single difference.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

You might fall into the one category where 64-bit Vista would help you, in high-end graphic processing. There is no real performance advantage to 64-bit vs. 32-bit OS. In fact, we just got through doing a side-by-side comparison of the two with a high-end Website that i manage, in a Microsoft-run performance lab, and it turned out that the web site, under load test, ran slower on the 64-bit OS (granted it was Longhorn, but you get the idea)...

But, as someone previously stated, you won't really be able to use the 4 gig memory effectively (although you will get an improvement over 2 gig, even at 32-bit OS). The trouble is that a 32-bit OS can only load about 2.5 gig of data maximum, before it will run out of memory ( for the real bit-heads, i know this is a bit simplistic). A 64-bit OS will allow you to load more data into a single application. Since high-end graphic editing frequently uses more than 4 gig of data, it is highly possible you'll see performance improvements, in terms of the size of the data you can work on (say, maybe 200 frames loaded simultaneously instead of 50)...if (read on...)

Make ABSOLUTELY certain:

1. That the editing application your using will support the 64-bit OS. All Microsoft .NET applications are good to go, all Java apps will support it (w/ 64 bit Runtimes), but older 32-bit C/C++ Compiled applications (like Adobe Illustrator and others) will still run as a 32-bit applications. The application will run in the 32-bit subsytem, but you won't be able to take advantage of the extra application data space.

2. Make certain that if you're using video capturing, special graphic cards, or other D/A or A/D hardware, that the device drivers will work in Vista. A lot of device drivers for older hardware never had 64-bit device drivers made and probably never will. Vista requires 64-bit Device Drivers for 64-bit Vista, there is no subsystem to run old 32-bit drivers. And since MS requires any device driver to have the device driver signed by MS (for security purposes, this is only for 64-bit OS installations), to run in the 64-bit space, a lot of older hardware devices will never work in the 64-bit Vista space.

Last edited by ce1; 04-16-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: punctuation

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I'm planning on using Sony Vegas Platinum 8 for the HD video editing. I assume it will work with the 64 bit OS, but I'll check to make sure.

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

The only thing I have to add is along the lines of what others have said. 32-bit will only recognize 3 gigs of ram (I had 3 installed on mine too) so don't waste the money if you have the choice.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,094
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

AMD FTW

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 282

I support AMD heavily as well. Intel I believe has a slight edge as of recently on its new chips, but it is super expensive. I have noticed alot of the animated movies anymore are done on AMD machines. FWIW Could be the AMD donates more money to the picture companies =)

64 bit windows works fine, but as you mentioned not alot is compatible....but it is getting better. My biggest beef with it was for my printer drivers. They just didnt have them available and the closest match wasnt good enough. And Im too cheap to buy a new one. ha!

Last edited by bos; 04-17-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 302

I assume you're going to build your own? If not, you should.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I assume you're going to build your own? If not, you should.

I agree wholeheartedly. That way you know exactly whats in it, you get what you want without having to sacrifice, and you can better prepare for upgrades since you know your machine in and out.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

As far as which chip to get, it depends on what you want to do. If this machine is to play video games, the stick with the core 2 duos. If you are planning on doing multiple applications at once, go with the quad. The good thing about these new intel chips is how easy they are to overclock. My current cpu is rated for 2.4ghz and it is currently at 3.4ghz with very little temperature increase. As far as OS goes, I have vista 64bit and have run into 0 compatability issues.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    I support AMD heavily as well. Intel I believe has a slight edge as of recently on its new chips, but it is super expensive. I have noticed alot of the animated movies anymore are done on AMD machines. FWIW Could be the AMD donates more money to the picture companies =)

64 bit windows works fine, but as you mentioned not alot is compatible....but it is getting better. My biggest beef with it was for my printer drivers. They just didnt have them available and the closest match wasnt good enough. And Im too cheap to buy a new one. ha!
    AMD isn't even in the same ballpark as Intel at the moment. If you're doing anything multimedia based, stick with Core 2 Duos or Core 2 quads.

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. That way you know exactly whats in it, you get what you want without having to sacrifice, and you can better prepare for upgrades since you know your machine in and out.
    If you're asking questions like he's asking, I would HIGHLY advise you not to build your own. Buy something from a reputable vendor that has a warranty.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post

If you're asking questions like he's asking, I would HIGHLY advise you not to build your own. Buy something from a reputable vendor that has a warranty.

LOL true. But maybe he doesnt mind learning =)

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 302

I should of said, "have someone build you a PC".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 14

A few years ago you may have gotten more bang for your buck with AMD, but Intel has really put out some good material lately and their prices are way better than AMD's.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.