SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Read This if Tired of Bashing McC

These are the facts from USAToday:
    http://covers.usatoday.com/game-matc...ummary_27.html

The only two games we outyardaged the opponent this year was UNI and UNLV.

We outgained KSU by 182 yards last year en route to 45-17 thrashing.

69 degrees is expected high. No excuses from the weather.

2-7 at beating odds in last nine games.

Our offensive favor: 7.1 to 5.6 yards per pass attempt
    Our defense disfavor mismatch is pass yards allowed per attempt on defense: Clones allow 7.4 vs 6.4 for KSU

Josh Freeman hits only 40.6% of passes to 56.7% for Bret.

Last edited by Wesley; 10-27-2006 at 05:05 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

Re: Read This if Tired of Bashing

The play of Meyer has been one of the biggest disappointments this year. He just seems to have regressed this season. The OL has been bad, but he has absolutely missed guys wide open and thrown the ball out of bounds on about half of the sideline routes. He has no scrambling ability what so ever, and tends to just keep running backwards until he throws the ball out of bounds or gets sacked. A lot of the times it is a DT chasing him, andhe still can't make a move to buy some time.

I am sure it isn't easy when you are running for your life al the time.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    The play of Meyer has been one of the biggest disappointments this year. He just seems to have regressed this season. The OL has been bad, but he has absolutely missed guys wide open and thrown the ball out of bounds on about half of the sideline routes. He has no scrambling ability what so ever, and tends to just keep running backwards until he throws the ball out of bounds or gets sacked. A lot of the times it is a DT chasing him, andhe still can't make a move to buy some time.

I am sure it isn't easy when you are running for your life al the time.

Once he runs out of pocket like a rabbit, half of the field is gone for passing. Then the defensive people quickly move to stuff the rightside or leftside of the field. Maybe he can look off the onrushing players and maybe for once he can step up into the pocket, and for once he can throw more than one ball a quarter to the middle of the field like he did with Austin Flynnn last year. He does have 305 pound Scott S up front for blocking.

Bret looks best in shotgun. Plain and simnple he is smooth in catching the ball. Then it goes downhill as the other team blitzes.

McC is concerned about all the blitzing. Two people blitzing and we have a mandated sack. Do we really need the Stevie and the Kochster on the field at same time and use one less receiver? Maybe. How about Jason and Stevie at same time, one a blocker and the other a swing man to the side.

And do this on first down and third down. If we do not get flushed out of the pocket right away due to more backfield blocking, we can throw deeper routes, we can always start running to either side to gain even more time, and the blitzinf will not be as prevalent.

Until you can slow down the blitzers, offense is pretty much a lost cause, because they usally gum up the Stevie and Bret rushes.

It would be nice if we try something novel coming right out of the hopper on first down in Manhattan.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 91

I think that the bulk of the problem with the offense this year _has_ been the offensive line. If they were providing some modicum of protection, then Meyer wouldn't have the happy feet and would be able to throw the ball a whole lot better.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Extending, the better offense would alleviate current woes of the defense. How many 3rd and 10 or longers must we endure. I bet we have set the record this year with penalities, no rushing or passing on first two downs. Who wouldn't have happy feet if you had to pass more than ten yards downfield? And Bret is not quite elusive enough if he doesn't sprint out right at the start.
    Our offense is in a Catch 22. He waits too long and gets sacked or he sprints out to the rioght at first trouble and eliminates most of his receivers. The only thing other than putting another blocker in the backfield is to automatically start to roll out to his left at first trouble and just run. Not the qb draw, but the qb rollout and draw. We know their defensive end will already be in the backfield having gone arounfd our stoic left tackle.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The problem with the blitzes is that we never see them coming, or if we do, we don't check out of them. When the other team blitzes it should be really easy to throw a little 2 yard pass and run for a big gain if our receiver can get past the first guy (which all of our receivers can do). The problem is, when the other team blitzes, we just give up.

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

We'll See Where this Program Stands

During this tail spin we really have played some very solid teams. Texas Tech was the weakest team & they are still a borderline top 25 program.

However, we are getting to the point in our schedule where we are playing 2 schools with new coaches. If ISU can't beat Prince & Hawkins in their first year- its tough to get excited about the future of ISU FB under D-Mac's leadership.

We also play Mizzou, while they have been a surprise they are still Mizzou. Their coach was on the hotseat before the season started. KU & ISU are mirrors in FB. Neither school has had much tradition, but their current coaches have given fans reason for optimism during their tenure. However, neither coach has been able to lift his program to much over .500. The KU & Mizzou games are in Ames- so we should EXPECT to win.

If this team & staff has any fight- we should finish the season 3-1.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I don't know if I would call say our football program mirrors KUs. Yes, we both have gone from abysmal nothingness to a descent program, but KU hasn't reached near the success we have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think KU has challenged for the Big XII North title. We have been very close to a high level of success, KU still has a long way to go (not that we don't). I'd say KU is similar to ISU's FB program just before it hit "the Golden Age" of the McCarney days (2000-2006).

When we play Missouri, this isn't the same ol' "we like to ruin everyone else's seasons because we can never have a good one of our own" team. They will likely be 7-3, maybe 8-2 coming into our game with them. Sure they haven't beaten anyone great, but it still takes a lot of talent and coordination to win 7 games, and they should be a real challenge (could be reminiscent of the Colorado game last year....at least I hope).

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Who said any of us "are tired of Bashing" . I read the post's and still not convinced bashing should be abolished. The" Golden Age" of Mccarney era LOL
    Maybe 2000 not the rest maybe "ChoKe era" is better.

KU and ISU comparsion is a problem. Mark M has been given a "Bye" last week by their AD, his job is safe in spite of 4 th quarter "Melt downs". "I am going to Eat you Mark" inherited a "collapsed" Terry Allen program and is being given what Mac has had at ISU, alot of time to rebuild. The problem with D-Mac is we are always rebuilding, if given another 12 years HE WILL STILL BE REBUILDING. Some Coaches have built tradition others talk about it, some recurit kids that by and large make it to the field and others recurit kids and they leave. We have the latter.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It will take Mark 12 years to catch McC in wins unless he cheats.