Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 729,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,394
    Points
    729,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,270
    Given: 627

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 729,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,394
    Points
    729,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,270
    Given: 627

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    5. Iowa State University

    Sometimes no matter how qualified a professor is, if his views, or even his tolerance of others’ ideas, don’t conform to leftist ideology, tenure is attainable only in daydreams. Just ask Iowa State University astronomy professor Guillermo Gonzalez. In 2004, Gonzalez, now a fellow at the Discovery Institute, co-authored the book The Privileged Planet, which suggests Intelligent Design might be responsible for life on earth. In 2007, Gonzalez applied for tenure but was denied.

    Yet Gonzalez was extremely qualified for tenure. He had published 68 peer-reviewed articles and co-authored an astronomy textbook, which was well beyond the department standard at ISU, where 91 percent of tenure applications were approved in 2007. While his colleagues disagreed with Intelligent Design (a subject Gonzalez had never taught in the classroom), they were okay with drawing parallels between Mein Kampf and the Bible, as religious studies professor Hector Alvalos has done. Alvalos was up for tenure at the same time as Gonzalez, and, naturally, was approved.
    Gonzalez appealed the university’s decision to the Board of Regents, which refused to let Gonzalez plead his case and voted against the appeal 7 to 1.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 12,749, Level: 34
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cycloneryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,073
    Points
    12,749
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    This would be a bigger deal if it was published on some website that people actually read.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 218,095, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,303
    Points
    218,095
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 309

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    It reminds me of Obama's pastor who was railing at that funeral the other day about O"rielly and Hannity. Telling everyone how they basically suck because someone has a different opinion than him. Problem is he has a different opinion than them so why is he railing against them.



  5. #5
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Western shore
    Posts
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneryan View Post
    This would be a bigger deal if it was published on some website that people actually read.
    No, what is a big deal is that this goofball Gonzalez could get a job anywhere near a university in the first place.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 729,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,394
    Points
    729,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,270
    Given: 627

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by RTBIO View Post
    No, what is a big deal is that this goofball Gonzalez could get a job anywhere near a university in the first place.
    Evidently he is desirable to a pretty well thought of school.....

    GCC: Rankings



  7. #7
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Western shore
    Posts
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Evidently he is desirable to a pretty well thought of school.....

    GCC: Rankings
    Yeah, they'll be Ivy League before ya know it.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dustinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    55,615
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Guillermo was in the Physics and Astronomy department. Avalos (spelled incorrectly as "Alvalos" in the article) is in the Philosophy and Religious Studies department. Those are two completely different departments with completely different criteria for acquiring tenure, so to compare the two is unfair.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 22,066, Level: 45
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    htownclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Points
    22,066
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by RTBIO View Post
    No, what is a big deal is that this goofball Gonzalez could get a job anywhere near a university in the first place.
    I don't think there was sarcasm in this post, which is a shame.

    Your quote is ridiculous. Clearly you never had him in class either. NOT ONCE in any class I had with him did he ever talk about his personal views.

    In fact, when I showed up to Cornerstone Church one Sunday and discovered he was speaking, I thought to myself, "who let this liberal turd come into church to speak?" ...because I assumed he was some evolution nut, based on the fact he teaches science.

    What truly is the "big deal" is that he was screwed over for his personal views, which were never brought into the classroom.

    You crazy wacko's that bash him and think he shouldn't even be at a university or teaching haven't a clue in the world.


    You can't polish a turd.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 15,893, Level: 38
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    385
    Points
    15,893
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    5. Iowa State University

    Sometimes no matter how qualified a professor is, if his views, or even his tolerance of others’ ideas, don’t conform to leftist ideology, tenure is attainable only in daydreams. Just ask Iowa State University astronomy professor Guillermo Gonzalez. In 2004, Gonzalez, now a fellow at the Discovery Institute, co-authored the book The Privileged Planet, which suggests Intelligent Design might be responsible for life on earth. In 2007, Gonzalez applied for tenure but was denied.

    Yet Gonzalez was extremely qualified for tenure. He had published 68 peer-reviewed articles and co-authored an astronomy textbook, which was well beyond the department standard at ISU, where 91 percent of tenure applications were approved in 2007. While his colleagues disagreed with Intelligent Design (a subject Gonzalez had never taught in the classroom), they were okay with drawing parallels between Mein Kampf and the Bible, as religious studies professor Hector Alvalos has done. Alvalos was up for tenure at the same time as Gonzalez, and, naturally, was approved.
    Gonzalez appealed the university’s decision to the Board of Regents, which refused to let Gonzalez plead his case and voted against the appeal 7 to 1.
    As for reality, we'll go here.

    "Astronomer Guillermo Gonzalez, for example, did not get tenure at Iowa State University in Ames and is portrayed in the film as sacrificed on the alter of tenure denial because of his authorship of a pro–intelligent design book entitled The Privileged Planet (Regnery Publishing, 2004). As Scott told me, "Tenure is based on the evaluation of academic performance at one's current institution for the previous seven years." Although Gonzales was apparently a productive scientist before he moved to Iowa State, Scott says that "while there, his publication record tanked, he brought in only a couple of grants—one of which was from the [John] Templeton Foundation to write The Privileged Planet—didn't have very many graduate students, and those he had never completed their degrees. Lots of people don't get tenure, for the same legitimate reasons that Gonzalez didn't get tenure."

    Tenure in any department is serious business, because it means, essentially, employment for life. Tenure decisions for astronomers are based on the number and quality of scientific papers published, the prestige of the journal in which they are published, the number of grants funded (universities are ranked, in part, by the grant-productivity of their faculties), the number of graduate students who completed their program, the amount of telescope time allocated as well as the trends in each of these categories, indicating whether or not the candidate shows potential for continued productivity. In point of fact, according to Gregory Geoffroy, president of Iowa State, "Over the past 10 years, four of the 12 candidates who came up for review in the physics and astronomy department were not granted tenure." Gonzales was one of them, and for good reasons, despite Stein's claim of his "stellar academic record."

    Article linked, the quoted portion is on page 3.



  11. #11
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Western shore
    Posts
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by htownclone View Post
    ...Your...ridiculous. ...I thought to myself, "...liberal turd...evolution nut"...You crazy wacko's...haven't a clue in the world.
    Casting stones? Name-calling like that is usually a sign of some serious insecurity. I hope you're able to find some reliable help.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 22,066, Level: 45
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    htownclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Points
    22,066
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by RTBIO View Post
    Casting stones? Name-calling like that is usually a sign of some serious insecurity. I hope you're able to find some reliable help.
    Actually, I'm not insecure at all. I could take certain words from text and turn them into something else too. Let me guess, you probably take Bush's speeches and do the same thing and take certain words out to make it look worse?

    Give me a break.


    You can't polish a turd.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 22,066, Level: 45
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    htownclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Points
    22,066
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by RTBIO View Post
    No, what is a big deal is that this goofball Gonzalez could get a job anywhere near a university in the first place.
    I'd also love to hear your reasons on why he shouldn't be allowed near a university in a first place...other than the fact that his opinions differ from your own.


    You can't polish a turd.

  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 208,646, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,798
    Points
    208,646
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 108

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    Tenure decisions for astronomers are based on the number and quality of scientific papers published, the prestige of the journal in which they are published, the number of grants funded (universities are ranked, in part, by the grant-productivity of their faculties), the number of graduate students who completed their program, the amount of telescope time allocated as well as the trends in each of these categories, indicating whether or not the candidate shows potential for continued productivity.
    Perhaps one day, teachers at a university might actually be evaluated on their ability to teach students. A novel concept, I'm sure...


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 25,234, Level: 48
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Skyh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,847
    Points
    25,234
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

    Re: ISU wins award, well sort of

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Perhaps one day, teachers at a university might actually be evaluated on their ability to teach students. A novel concept, I'm sure...
    As I replied to a teacher salary thread,

    Yeah, no kidding...

    I could be more cynical, but I decided not to..


    Last edited by Skyh13; 04-15-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM