Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

What's the point of keeping Mac any longer

One good season out of 12. Time for Mac to go.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 639

Re: What's the point of keeping Mac any longer

Quote Originally Posted by GoShow97 View Post
    First off, 94-99 should not count as he had to resurrect the program from the nothingness it was.

Second, excluding this year, we've had 4 good seasons out of 6 (7 wins a year in my book counts as a good sesaon) and one great season (8-9 is a great season, 10-more is excellent).

Finally, as I've said in a previous post, the biggest mistake isu could possibly make is to make a change for the sake of change. I'm not saying I support Mac any longer nor am I saying I've jumped on the fire Mac bandwagon. I'm saying whatever Pollard does at the end of the season should be done with a lot of thought and not just because Mac hasn't won 9 games in 6 years. Flying off the handle in the situation we are in right now is the WORST thing ISU could do.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Walk On
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Hey, thanks for making another pointless, "Let's fire Mac" thread. You didn't even come up with some new statistic to start it too. Good job!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 338

Quote Originally Posted by GoShow97 View Post
    If you dont like going to bowl games and being competitive with the squawkeyes just wait for the next coach. I sent a letter to Jamie Pollard and told him his next football hire might be another Criner or Walden, and if that happens it will be ATTENDANCE DECLINING real fast.

Go Clones bring back a victory from Manhattan!

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was thinking about that this morning, and wondering to myself what would be good enough. Would people in Iowa City be calling for Kirk's head if he had string of 6 or 7 win seasons? The biggest issue is, Kirk has proved he can win 10+ and go to major bowls. Mac hasn't... yet. I'm not sure if he will, or if he won't.

If his teams could have finished off the north the last two years, I don't think this conversation is brought up for years. Truth is, they didn't, and it's here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    If you dont like going to bowl games and being competitive with the squawkeyes just wait for the next coach. I sent a letter to Jamie Pollard and told him his next football hire might be another Criner or Walden, and if that happens it will be ATTENDANCE DECLINING real fast.
    Did you really think that our AD hasn't thought of this already and you had to send him an e-mail to make him aware of the possibility? Let the man do his job. There's a reason he gets paid to do it and we don't.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"The fear of change is stronger than the fear of success" Thats all I see here, changing Head coaches seems to be fearful for the Homer's. Change is good and needed, the record speaks for itself.

Pollard has a tough decision and he gets paid to make it. The real problem is what D-Mac is going to do? Resignation to me is the honorable thing to do and saves him face. With his buy out being so affordable for ISU it would make sense to take the contractual buyout and move on. I'll help, my next donation will be earmarked for D-Mac buyout! I'll trust in Pollard to make that decision, however I seems to be obvious to me.

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 526

I like going to bowls like anyone else but I wouldn't always consider 7 win seasons to be great. A 7 win season would only be good if we had this years schedule.

Beating below .500 big 12 teams and other bottom feeders doesn't prove you're a good coach. He did have a big win against a 7-5 Iowa team at home last year though. However, losing in last seconds games to loser teams for the North championship is very weak.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 102

I am a firm believer our Bowl trips as of late have had as much to do with the decline of CU, NU and KSU as it has had to do with us improving as a team. Are we better than we were in the Early 90's? Of course we are, we have better athletes over all and we have garnered a little respect. Are CU, KSU and NU as good as they were in the 90's? Hell No. We did not rise to their level, they merely dropped enough for us to catch them, for a bit. NU is already seeing fast improvement. I fear CU and KSU will not be far behind as well as Mizzu is now getting into the mix. At our current level of improvement we will soon be back in the cellar as the other teams surpass us.

To rely on the fact that we've been to some low tier bowls the last couple of years as an assurance that it will continue is a wrong path to follow. We are clearly not making the strides other programs in our own conference are making. As well as the University of Iowa. Let's not fool ourselves. Yes, it's been 6 out of the last nine for us, but, it's also been the last 3 out of 4 for Iowa.

The tide is turning. We can either make a decision to ride that and look for ways to improve, or sit, with our feet stuck in the sand and drown beneath the improvement of almost every other team we play. We have not legitimately been in one Big XII game this year. They may not be the blowouts of old, but, my fear, at this pace, we are not far from that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I am a firm believer our Bowl trips as of late have had as much to do with the decline of CU, NU and KSU as it has had to do with us improving as a team. Are we better than we were in the Early 90's? Of course we are, we have better athletes over all and we have garnered a little respect. Are CU, KSU and NU as good as they were in the 90's? Hell No. We did not rise to their level, they merely dropped enough for us to catch them, for a bit. NU is already seeing fast improvement. I fear CU and KSU will not be far behind as well as Mizzu is now getting into the mix. At our current level of improvement we will soon be back in the cellar as the other teams surpass us.

To rely on the fact that we've been to some low tier bowls the last couple of years as an assurance that it will continue is a wrong path to follow. We are clearly not making the strides other programs in our own conference are making. As well as the University of Iowa. Let's not fool ourselves. Yes, it's been 6 out of the last nine for us, but, it's also been the last 3 out of 4 for Iowa.

The tide is turning. We can either make a decision to ride that and look for ways to improve, or sit, with our feet stuck in the sand and drown beneath the improvement of almost every other team we play. We have not legitimately been in one Big XII game this year. They may not be the blowouts of old, but, my fear, at this pace, we are not far from that.
    My projection is if we win three of four games (lose to Missouri), we will be the tenth most attractive team in Big 12 for eight bowl spots.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Irony is lost on a few in here I see.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 894
    Given: 639

Quote Originally Posted by loboclone View Post
    "The fear of change is stronger than the fear of success" Thats all I see here, changing Head coaches seems to be fearful for the Homer's. Change is good and needed, the record speaks for itself.

Pollard has a tough decision and he gets paid to make it. The real problem is what D-Mac is going to do? Resignation to me is the honorable thing to do and saves him face. With his buy out being so affordable for ISU it would make sense to take the contractual buyout and move on. I'll help, my next donation will be earmarked for D-Mac buyout! I'll trust in Pollard to make that decision, however I seems to be obvious to me.
    And the only other thing I hear is CHANGE = SUCCESS.

I'm not scared of change. I just will not accept change for the sake of change. I will only accept it if it leads to real improvement. 5 years from now if we have a 10 win season or 2 with a new coach Mac will be a sweet, but distant, memory. But change for the sake of change can also lead to 5 straight winless seasons. Then ALL of us will wonder why there was such a demand to put Mac's head on a plate.

Will either of these scenarios happen? I dunno. The point is ISU will not necessarily get better just because we changed coaches. Change for the sake of change can lead us down a road we don't want to be on just as easily as it leading us to paradise.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    And the only other thing I hear is CHANGE = SUCCESS.

I'm not scared of change. I just will not accept change for the sake of change. I will only accept it if it leads to real improvement. 5 years from now if we have a 10 win season or 2 with a new coach Mac will be a sweet, but distant, memory. But change for the sake of change can also lead to 5 straight winless seasons. Then ALL of us will wonder why there was such a demand to put Mac's head on a plate.

Will either of these scenarios happen? I dunno. The point is ISU will not necessarily get better just because we changed coaches. Change for the sake of change can lead us down a road we don't want to be on just as easily as it leading us to paradise.
    This is kinda of a "rhetorical statement" (huh?) because how do we know if a change is made that it was good or bad in comparison if no changes are made??

I think I just pulled a brain muscle trying to understand my own statement

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 154

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    You keep bringing up this phrase "change for the sake of change". Do you know what that phrase actually means? It means frivolously changing something just for the hec of it, on a whim, for no other reason than just to make a change.

I see very few (if any) people here suggesting that DM be fired just for the hec of it, just so they can look at a new face next year. The posters here who want DM replaced want that change to be made because they believe that DM's continued presence as head coach will be deterimental to the ISU football program. They believe that the FB program cannot improve under his leadership. That's not change for the sake of change, that's change to improve the program and the university.

If you don't agree with the arguments made in favor of replacing DM, that's perfectly fine. However, simply dismissing the arguments in favor of a coaching change as some kind of frivolous "change for the sake of change" is rather disingenuous. Some might even find it insulting.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I'm for keeping Mac