Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 43,458, Level: 64
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cydar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,143
    Points
    43,458
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 251

    Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    This was the VEISHEA photo on the front page of the Sunday Ames Tribune. I think the sign in the upper left of the photo pretty much sums up this year's VEISHEA:

    Cold Veishea comes to a close

    By Ronnie Miller/The Tribune
    Above: Julio Espada Sr.; his wife, Juana; and son, Iowa State University freshman Julio Jr., all of Muscatine, patiently wait for the Veishea parade to start Saturday along Morrill Road at the campus in Ames. A blanket of snow covered the area before Saturday's festivities began.


    The cold and windy weather took its toll on Veishea Saturday, canceling most of its tournaments, reducing its usual large parade crowd and causing some vendors to close shop earlier than expected.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 117,937, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,488
    Points
    117,937
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Veishea is held too early. Problem is, if its held any later, it starts getting too close to the end of the semester.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 31,180, Level: 54
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 770
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,837
    Points
    31,180
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Problem is, if its held any later, it starts getting too close to the end of the semester.
    I don't see this as a problem...



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 43,458, Level: 64
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cydar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,143
    Points
    43,458
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 251

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    KDSM news mentioned that VEISHEA could be even earlier next year (the other VEISHEA thread said that VEISHEA is returning to its normal time). KDSM stated that the move to an even earlier time was to give students more time to study for finals.

    When I was at ISU VEISHEA was 2 weeks before finals. I thought that was plenty of time to study for finals.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 129,472, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,570
    Points
    129,472
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post
    KDSM news mentioned that VEISHEA could be even earlier next year (the other VEISHEA thread said that VEISHEA is returning to its normal time). KDSM stated that the move to an even earlier time was to give students more time to study for finals.

    When I was at ISU VEISHEA was 2 weeks before finals. I thought that was plenty of time to study for finals.

    2009 will be earlier. 2010 and 2011 will be back to "normal", with VEISHEA Saturday being April 17 and 16, respectively.

    Going by what the VEISHEA site says, 2009 will be March 30-April 5 (parade on the 4th). They also state that Easter and Passover also determine when VEISHEA cannot be. By process of elimination...

    (1) VEISHEA officially runs Monday-Sunday.
    (2) Easter 2009 is Sunday, April 12 (eliminating April 6-12 for VEISHEA).
    (3) Passover 2009 is Wednesday, April 8, to Wednesday, April 15 (eliminating April 13-19).
    (4) Using the Spring 09 Academic Calendar, Dead Week runs Sunday, April 26 to Saturday, May 2 (eliminating April 20-26).

    Therefore, March 30-April 5 is actually the LATEST that VEISHEA can occur in 2009.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 394,560, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,814
    Points
    394,560
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Veishea is held too early. Problem is, if its held any later, it starts getting too close to the end of the semester.

    Let's see - no snow versus dead week. Wit, I will decide. Do it Dead Week. No brainer. Bet they lose money this year.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 185,502, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,339
    Points
    185,502
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 291

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Whats dead week ?....from an ISU outsider



  8. #8
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 233,840, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,586
    Points
    233,840
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 505
    Given: 458

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    If I really wanted to...I could have dressed warm enough to enjoy the show. I was in Ames, but refused to support the whole wristband thing.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 394,560, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,814
    Points
    394,560
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    2009 will be earlier. 2010 and 2011 will be back to "normal", with VEISHEA Saturday being April 17 and 16, respectively.

    Going by what the VEISHEA site says, 2009 will be March 30-April 5 (parade on the 4th). They also state that Easter and Passover also determine when VEISHEA cannot be. By process of elimination...

    (1) VEISHEA officially runs Monday-Sunday.
    (2) Easter 2009 is Sunday, April 12 (eliminating April 6-12 for VEISHEA).
    (3) Passover 2009 is Wednesday, April 8, to Wednesday, April 15 (eliminating April 13-19).
    (4) Using the Spring 09 Academic Calendar, Dead Week runs Sunday, April 26 to Saturday, May 2 (eliminating April 20-26).

    Therefore, March 30-April 5 is actually the LATEST that VEISHEA can occur in 2009.


    Then they will have another lost year - sometimes you have to run events simultanously. NCAA played on Easter, heaven forbid.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 129,472, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,570
    Points
    129,472
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Whats dead week ?....from an ISU outsider

    The week before Finals, where no university events are scheduled.

    Dead Week
    The last week of fall and spring undergraduate classes has been designated Dead Week by the Government of the Student Body and Iowa State University. The intent is to provide students with time for review and preparation for final examinations. Therefore, no student organization registered with the Student Organization Office may hold meetings or sponsor events without the expressed permission of Program Coordinator of the Dean of Students Office.


    Last edited by theshadow; 04-13-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added info

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 129,472, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,570
    Points
    129,472
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Then they will have another lost year - sometimes you have to run events simultanously. NCAA played on Easter, heaven forbid.
    I didn't say I agreed with it. Quite the opposite, in fact.

    I'm a bit perplexed that they would move the entire celebration around based on holidays observed by only two religious groups, despite the myriad of other religions represented on campus. Do those other groups not have Spring holidays, or do they simply not matter in the eyes of VEISHEA organizers? Ponderous.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 22,441, Level: 45
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    22,441
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    For some reason I thought it was fairly common to have it the weekend before Dead Week? Am I wrong?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 113,544, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,800
    Points
    113,544
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 78

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    It's too bad for all of the clubs, student organizations, and charitable groups that depend on good Veishea attendance for their concession, craft, merchandise, and plant sales. I've already heard that student clubs will be lucky just to make back their Veishea expenses; forget about any profit.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 25,132, Level: 48
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Skyh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,843
    Points
    25,132
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    I didn't say I agreed with it. Quite the opposite, in fact.

    I'm a bit perplexed that they would move the entire celebration around based on holidays observed by only two religious groups, despite the myriad of other religions represented on campus. Do those other groups not have Spring holidays, or do they simply not matter in the eyes of VEISHEA organizers? Ponderous.
    Who knows. Maybe if VEISHEA is over those dates, people will claim that ISU is actually celebrating Easter.

    In any case, the rumors are of course that administration is trying to phase out VEISHEA, so they're forcing it to be moved up like this. That's just a rumor, though, so who knows.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 33,698, Level: 56
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    scottie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    2,537
    Points
    33,698
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames Tribune VEISHEA Photo

    I spoke with a friend of mine who said them doing it this time of year and even earlier next year is to discourage all the outside drinking or something around those lines. Concerts were a bust I hear and another buddy actually said they were handing out free bracelets to people walking by the concert.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM