Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Orr question

Hope you guys can help me out the the answer to this question:

What was Johnny Orr's record home vs. away? I have a friend who swears he didn't win more than a dozen games away.... I find that hard to believe.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Orr question

Road Victories:
    1980-81 Beat E. Carolina & Fairfield in the Elm City Classic (Fairfield, Conn).
    1981-82 Beat Wisconisn in the Far West Clssic (Portland, OR), Kansas.
    1982-83 Beat Arizona, Colorado.
    1983-84 Beat Drake, Colorado St, Ball St. in the Hoosier Classic (Indianaoplis), Nebraska.
    1984-85 Beat Iowa, Southern Miss in the Volunteer Classic (Knoxville, TN), Cornell in the Rainbow classic (Honolulu) UNI, Missouri, Oklahoma St, Kansas in the Big 8 tourn.
    1985-86 Beat Illinois St, Rice & Vanderbilt in the Music City Invit. (Nashville, TN), Kansas St, Colorado, Colorado & Nebraska in the Big 8 tourn. (Kansas City) and Miami (Ohio) & Michigan in the NCAA (Minneapolis).
    1986-87 Beat Texas in the Sun Bowl Classic (El Paso, TX).
    1987-88 Beat Purdue, New Mexico in the Big Apple NIT, UNI, Drake, Navy in the Blade City Classic (Toledo, OH), Dayton, Nebraska, Oklahoma St.
    1988-89 Beat Creighton, Southern Miss & Bradley in the Phenix NCAA Ball Tourn (Tokyo, Japan), San Francisco in the Kactus Klassic (Tempe, AZ), Colorado, Oklahoma St in the Big 8 tourn.
    1989-90 Beat Drake, Nebraska, Loyola (Ill).
    1990-91 Beat Chaminade in the Maui Invitational (Lahaina, HI), Temple in the Fiesta Bowl Classic (Tucson, AZ), Creighton, Kansas St, Oklahoma.
    1991-92 Beat American PR & Maine in the San Juan Shootout (San Juan, PR), Fairfield in the Naismith Holiday Classic (Springfield, Mass), Minnesota, Drake, Missouri in the Big 8 tourn, UNC Charlotte in the NCAA tourn.
    1992-93 Beat Creighton, UNI, Colorado, Oklahoma in the Big 8 tourn.
    1993-94 Beat Drake, Pepperdine in the Sierra Medical Center SunClassic (El Paso, TX), Colorado, Oklahoma.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    Road Victories:
    1980-81 Beat E. Carolina & Fairfield in the Elm City Classic (Fairfield, Conn).
    1981-82 Beat Wisconisn in the Far West Clssic (Portland, OR), Kansas.
    1982-83 Beat Arizona, Colorado.
    1983-84 Beat Drake, Colorado St, Ball St. in the Hoosier Classic (Indianaoplis), Nebraska.
    1984-85 Beat Iowa, Southern Miss in the Volunteer Classic (Knoxville, TN), Cornell in the Rainbow classic (Honolulu) UNI, Missouri, Oklahoma St, Kansas in the Big 8 tourn.
    1985-86 Beat Illinois St, Rice & Vanderbilt in the Music City Invit. (Nashville, TN), Kansas St, Colorado, Colorado & Nebraska in the Big 8 tourn. (Kansas City) and Miami (Ohio) & Michigan in the NCAA (Minneapolis).
    1986-87 Beat Texas in the Sun Bowl Classic (El Paso, TX).
    1987-88 Beat Purdue, New Mexico in the Big Apple NIT, UNI, Drake, Navy in the Blade City Classic (Toledo, OH), Dayton, Nebraska, Oklahoma St.
    1988-89 Beat Creighton, Southern Miss & Bradley in the Phenix NCAA Ball Tourn (Tokyo, Japan), San Francisco in the Kactus Klassic (Tempe, AZ), Colorado, Oklahoma St in the Big 8 tourn.
    1989-90 Beat Drake, Nebraska, Loyola (Ill).
    1990-91 Beat Chaminade in the Maui Invitational (Lahaina, HI), Temple in the Fiesta Bowl Classic (Tucson, AZ), Creighton, Kansas St, Oklahoma.
    1991-92 Beat American PR & Maine in the San Juan Shootout (San Juan, PR), Fairfield in the Naismith Holiday Classic (Springfield, Mass), Minnesota, Drake, Missouri in the Big 8 tourn, UNC Charlotte in the NCAA tourn.
    1992-93 Beat Creighton, UNI, Colorado, Oklahoma in the Big 8 tourn.
    1993-94 Beat Drake, Pepperdine in the Sierra Medical Center SunClassic (El Paso, TX), Colorado, Oklahoma.
    Great job compiling the list! Not 100% sure, but I don't think wins on neutral courts are officially considered "away" victories.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Anytime JO could win away from Ames, I think you gotta give him the benefit of doubt, plus, it was much easier to look for non-Ames wins.

Recruit
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Johnny's teams disintegrated on the road......I spent many a night in my dorm room listening to another Big 8 road loss. But, we still loved the guy.....and the home games were the best.....I'd guess there were 4,000 to 5,000 student season ticketholders. We filled half the balcony and 2 sections in the parquet. Cyclone alley is a nice concept, but nothing like the home atmosphere of the mid to late 80's the Grayer/Hornecek era. Anyone else remember those good old days??

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Man, I do. I can even remember the news conference when Orr was introduced...man, what a day that was!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Man, I do. I can even remember the news conference when Orr was introduced...man, what a day that was!
    I think in 5-10 years...many will say the very same thing about the day Greg McDermott was introduced as the new ISU men's basketball coach.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,059
    Given: 558

Absolutely.......I remember going to the Kansas game the year they won the national title with Manning, and I was screaming at the top of my lungs to my buddy next to me, and he was screaming back, and neither of us could hear a word. ISU won that one something like 77-67 or so. It was completely unreal.

Orr never did real well on the road, but he protected the home court like no other. It always seems like teams with great home court advantages can struggle on the road, and some teams that don't do better on the road. I've often wondered if that had something to do with the home court mystique that the coach built up, so that when they went on the road, they were a little psyched out about it or what.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

ISUFan22... I would very much agree. I have been very impressed with the excitement he has brought and after watching that practice video..wow! Defense.....

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Absolutely.......I remember going to the Kansas game the year they won the national title with Manning, and I was screaming at the top of my lungs to my buddy next to me, and he was screaming back, and neither of us could hear a word. ISU won that one something like 77-67 or so. It was completely unreal.

Orr never did real well on the road, but he protected the home court like no other. It always seems like teams with great home court advantages can struggle on the road, and some teams that don't do better on the road. I've often wondered if that had something to do with the home court mystique that the coach built up, so that when they went on the road, they were a little psyched out about it or what.
    That was an awesome game. Do you remember Elmer Robinson? He wasn't the greatest basketball player but he was tough. Do you remember him and Manning almsot got in a fight. Grayer was incredible. Loved those days and that was an incredible game. I had parquet seats that game as a student. Atmosphere was electric!!!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Those really were the days! I can remember going to Hilton hours before the games to get seats. It was so loud in that place. The fondest memories are of Barry Stevens beating Mizzou and Minnesota and watching 6'3" 135 lb power forward Ronnie "Iceman" Virgil mix it up. Then we would race back to our rooms to hear Johnny's postgame show where he would rip on the refs (using their names) or say things like "Dave Moss has the longest arms I've ever seen on a white guy" that would probably get you fired now. The 80's were a great time for Cyclone basketball!