Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Recruiting: Must Get One Contributor

Here's my theory. Recruiting in the Spring usually doesn't normally produce many impact players, but we have 3 schollies to use and will likely use at least 2 of them. While it would have been nice to hit the daily double with the Tyler, Texas boys, we can still salvage things with one successful find, regardless of position (assuming we don't get them as it is starting to appear).

I say this because of Wes Johnson's versatility. If we can find a player who can either start for us next year or at least make our top 8 rotation and play significant minutes, it won't matter if it is a backcourt guy or a big. A guard means WJ can move to the 4 spot alongside Brackins, where he was so successful two years ago, though undersized. Lucca can play the 3 to add to our backcourt versatility. If we land a quality big man, WJ can play his natural 3 spot, Lucca to the 2, and away we go. No need to list all the others - you already know how the newcomers and returnees will fill in and provide depth.

So I say one quality player will go a long ways in helping this team, but we have to get that ONE rather than just projects or bench fodder. I don't think Pomlee is that guy. Any chance we could lure PG Dwight Buycks away from Indian Hills? He is a combo guard who went off in the JUCO touney this year, averaging over 30 a game if I'm not mistaken.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

Re: Recruiting: Must Get One Contributor

One quality Juco post that can give us 15-25 min/game is what we need. He doesn't have to be a scorer either.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    One quality Juco post that can give us 15-25 min/game is what we need. He doesn't have to be a scorer either.

I don't agree with that. We need a scorer. Pomlee and Thompson are both known for their defense. That's why it's so important to find a post player who can put the ball in the hoop. We had Jiri last year and our offense still struggled to score. I do think our scoring will improve with some better outside shooting in the form of Staiger and Eikmeier, but we also need to find someone who can replace Jiri's scoring inside. That will take some of the pressure off Brackins and allow him to roam both inside and out.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 723

Quote Originally Posted by clone87 View Post
    A guard means WJ can move to the 4 spot alongside Brackins, where he was so successful two years ago, though undersized.
    You really, really, really don't want Wes back at the four spot. The conference has changed a great deal in the two years since he was successful there. Everybody save perhaps Colorado and Nebraska has a decent power forward now.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    You really, really, really don't want Wes back at the four spot. The conference has changed a great deal in the two years since he was successful there. Everybody save perhaps Colorado and Nebraska has a decent power forward now.
    That's not the point of putting him at the four. The point of putting him at the four is to take advantage of matchup problems and get him into easier positions to make baskets, which doesn't happen when he is being guarded on the perimeter. This past season, his best opportunity to score was often to shoot a 3 that was so deep, the opposing team let him have it.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

The Current Players Will Make or Break Next Season

I would agree that we need a big guy this spring who can step in & play 15-20mpg. Otherwise - there is no MUST get kid this spring.

How good the Clones are next fall will be contingent on how well Johnson, Brackins & Garrett progress over the summer. I would expect that if Lucca & Alex have to fill the other 2 starting positions we will probably be a 7-8 win team in the Big 12 next season at a minimum.

I think current players like Petersen & Haluska will be solid contributors if G-Mac can play them in situations where match-ups favor ISU. Add a JUCO or two this spring and the ability to bring Buckey & Eikmeier along slowly and we would seem to have alot better shooting team next year.

It seems to me Wesley could play the PF position just fine in the Big 12- it's not like there was a lack of talent 2 years ago. Seems to me Durant, Julian Wright, Dove, Cartier Martin, Grimes, etc were pretty solid players.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    That's not the point of putting him at the four. The point of putting him at the four is to take advantage of matchup problems and get him into easier positions to make baskets, which doesn't happen when he is being guarded on the perimeter. This past season, his best opportunity to score was often to shoot a 3 that was so deep, the opposing team let him have it.
    Johnson really struggles to guard the 4. I don't think anyone wants a frontline of Brackins and Johnson. Wes needs to be at the 3 to be his best. Free to rebound by using his athleticism, rather than needing to use strength and box outs.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    Johnson really struggles to guard the 4. I don't think anyone wants a frontline of Brackins and Johnson. Wes needs to be at the 3 to be his best. Free to rebound by using his athleticism, rather than needing to use strength and box outs.

This is just not true. Did you see him guard Darrel Aurthur? He did a great job on him. I for one want a frontline of Wes J and Brackins. I think they will create all kinds of match-up problems for other teams. Of course, if we get JVB, that would change things.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 413

AT is a ok post defender too.

Im really excited to see who we sign. I love the fact that we have a lot of different options.

Thomas, Christopherson, Pomlee, JVB, Butler, plus any names we haven't heard of.

The good news is we could pick up a couple solid guys. I prefer the JUCO, so they dont clog up your roster for 4 years. Should be interesting!

I dont care if we get posts, wings, guards... we need it all and lots of it. Coach Mac will adapt our lineup to what ever position is strongest.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    This is just not true. Did you see him guard Darrel Aurthur? He did a great job on him. I for one want a frontline of Wes J and Brackins. I think they will create all kinds of match-up problems for other teams. Of course, if we get JVB, that would change things.
    Yes, I did. I thought he did a poor job against any four that he guarded this year. Perhaps he had a couple of decent trips down the floor against Arthur, but it was probably because they were looking for one of their other 101 options. Johnson doesn't have the strength, or possibly even toughness, to guard the 4. Wes is MUCH better suited to play the 3. He might be able to give occasional minutes at the 4, in the event of foul trouble. But he would likely excel if ever given the chance to play the right position (the 3)

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 61

Let's not forget Wes Johnson's knee was hurt most of the year and that's absolutely going to have an impact on how well he can guard.

I say a healthy Wes does everything better next year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Let's not forget Wes Johnson's knee was hurt most of the year and that's absolutely going to have an impact on how well he can guard.

I say a healthy Wes does everything better next year.
    Actually Rahshon battled the knee problem. Wes had to deal with foot/ankle issues most of the year.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    Yes, I did. I thought he did a poor job against any four that he guarded this year. Perhaps he had a couple of decent trips down the floor against Arthur, but it was probably because they were looking for one of their other 101 options. Johnson doesn't have the strength, or possibly even toughness, to guard the 4. Wes is MUCH better suited to play the 3. He might be able to give occasional minutes at the 4, in the event of foul trouble. But he would likely excel if ever given the chance to play the right position (the 3)

Really? They looked to other options? Actually, they went to Aurthur 3 times against Wes. Twice Wes held his ground and made DA take bad shots, the other time Aurthur hit a tough hook shot falling away from the hoop. Go re-watch the end of the Mizzou game. Wes was ripping rebounds away from Missouri's bigs. He certainly appeared to have the strength and toughness.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Really? They looked to other options? Actually, they went to Aurthur 3 times against Wes. Twice Wes held his ground and made DA take bad shots, the other time Aurthur hit a tough hook shot falling away from the hoop. Go re-watch the end of the Mizzou game. Wes was ripping rebounds away from Missouri's bigs. He certainly appeared to have the strength and toughness.
    O.k., so you are going to base his abilities on three possessions against KU? Really? I never said Johnson wasn't a good rebounder. He is....when he can slash to the basket and isn't trying to box out a bigger, stronger guy. That is why Rahshon had success as well. Wes' minutes at the 4 were limited for a reason this season...he just can't defend it well. He is not a banger. There is nothing wrong with that either. He weighs about 200 pounds. He should be a 3. He has decent ballhandling skills, quickness and length. He could be Iowa State's version of Brandon Rush. Stick him at the 4, he will be ineffective defensively, but maybe will create some mismatches at the offensive end. You also risk constant foul trouble as he tries to fight for position and fights for rebounds inside.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We'll just have to agree to table our argument until next season, then we will see which idea is the correct one.