Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

What's the point of the Mac debate?

Disclaimer: I don't advocate keeping or firing Mac.

What's the point in the msg board campaign to Fire Mac? Carrying signs that say Fire Mac? Getting in altercations with asst coaches leaving home games? Garnering national media attention that we hate our coach? Sending in checks marked "Mac's buyout fund"?

I mean seriously...don't you have faith in Pollard to make the decision one way or another at the end of the season? Do you really think doing the above things will really sway JP one way or another? He's going to look at the whole picture at the end of the season and make his choice. I for one will support either.

So those in the Fire Mac crowd tell me what's the point of the above actions? Don't say to "show JP we're mad as heck and we ain't gonna take it anymore" cause he knows, he's not an idiot.

Game day critiques and playcalling critiques are fine in my book. No fan is ever happy with 100% of his coaches decisions. Hence the term "armchair quarterback".

Fanatic #25

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: What's the point of the Mac debate?

The debating IS getting a little tiresome. All I care about is winning. If that includes Mac then I am fine with keeping him. If that means a new coach and staff then I am fine with that too. I trust JP to do what is best for Iowa State.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    The debating IS getting a little tiresome. All I care about is winning. If that includes Mac then I am fine with keeping him. If that means a new coach and staff then I am fine with that too. I trust JP to do what is best for Iowa State.
    I agree...I feel like we're trying to talk some Cy brother's back from the edge of the cliff. Trust in JP my brothers. He'll do what's necessary.

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,302
    Given: 635

I tried to make that point also in another way. All it's doing is probably lowering the overall morale of the team just that much more, and possibly pushing recruits away.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think there is no debating that this years team is seriously underperforming expectations. Since many of the offensive personnel are the same as last year, most people feel like the team is undercoached. I don't necessarily agree, but I think their view is valid and they have a right to say it.

Let me ask you this...Why do you have so much faith in Pollard? He has certainly shaken things up and made some noise, but the first football season under his tenure is arguably one of the biggest disappointments in my tenure as a clone fan. Most of the time when they were awful, I knew it going in. This team continues to surprise, and not on the positive side. Not his fault? Probably not. Can he do something to save this season? Maybe, maybe not. But Pollard will have to earn my trust. He hasn't yet.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by threemuch View Post
    I think there is no debating that this years team is seriously underperforming expectations. Since many of the offensive personnel are the same as last year, most people feel like the team is undercoached. I don't necessarily agree, but I think their view is valid and they have a right to say it.

Let me ask you this...Why do you have so much faith in Pollard? He has certainly shaken things up and made some noise,.
    True...I just get annoyed when someone thinks the only answer is firing a coach and then does the above things which in my mind hurt our team.

I have faith cause I know he won't settle for anything less than winning at Iowa State. If a coach can't win he's already shown he won't hesitate to drop the axe. Most AD's probably would have waited another year or two until a large majority supported him. I guess I like his take no prisones attitude.

Fanatic #25

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't advocate keeping or firing Mac.

What's the point in the msg board campaign to Fire Mac? Carrying signs that say Fire Mac? Getting in altercations with asst coaches leaving home games? Garnering national media attention that we hate our coach? Sending in checks marked "Mac's buyout fund"?

I mean seriously...don't you have faith in Pollard to make the decision one way or another at the end of the season? Do you really think doing the above things will really sway JP one way or another? He's going to look at the whole picture at the end of the season and make his choice. I for one will support either.

So those in the Fire Mac crowd tell me what's the point of the above actions? Don't say to "show JP we're mad as heck and we ain't gonna take it anymore" cause he knows, he's not an idiot.

Game day critiques and playcalling critiques are fine in my book. No fan is ever happy with 100% of his coaches decisions. Hence the term "armchair quarterback".

This is what I was trying to get at in my "heres what i think.." thread. I think you put in your two cents in there too BigBake. Im just glad there are others out there who would rather hear about something else then keep debating on something that we cant decided and wont be decided until the season is even over.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Part of the answer is that College Football is now a business. For most colleges, revenue from Football funds it all / makes the overall ADept work. More success = more dollars = can do more things. Much like stockholders, if the stock/company is underperforming, dividends are down or not being paid; stockholders speak out. Now such is the football fan: we donate, we but tickets, we want results... a lot of people feel since the players are on scholarship they can expect better results.....especially when we are being asked to do more as in JP's vision.

Hey, we're just armchair quarterbacks as you said, even act this way about pro teams, we're just plain fans; but in the viewpoint as "stockholders" or as alumni we seem to want a return for our support.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't think it should be a campaign either. Debating if he is the right man for the job is what makes great message board theatre. At the end of the day it will only matter what JP thinks. If the players really do love Mac then seeing him under fire should rally them together not hurt morale. I have defended Mac for a long time. I personally have lost confidence that he can keep the program growing. I don't expect nor am I trying to influence anyone else including JP. It is JP's call and he will do what he thinks needs to be done. I will do what I need to do as a fan and show up for each of the remaining games and cheer till the final 00:00 is on the clock. No boos no matter how frustrated I get. I will be standing up yelling for the a defensive stop late in the game even if we are down. Thats my role as a fan. I discuss my thoughts during the week with other fans in person, on the phone and on CF. We talk about wishes and fishes and woulda coulda shoulda's and Monday morning QB till we can't stand any more. We are fans its what we do.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

Why do I have faith in Pollard? Because of what he did at Wisconsin. Wisconsin on average has a top 25-35 football program and a top 25 basketball program that makes noise in the dance. He knows how to win. He's trying to bring that here at ISU, and we just need to let him work.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Your right, time to stop the debate and fire him before the K state game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,302
    Given: 635

Quote Originally Posted by threemuch View Post

Let me ask you this...Why do you have so much faith in Pollard? He has certainly shaken things up and made some noise, but the first football season under his tenure is arguably one of the biggest disappointments in my tenure as a clone fan. Most of the time when they were awful, I knew it going in. This team continues to surprise, and not on the positive side. Not his fault? Probably not. Can he do something to save this season? Maybe, maybe not. But Pollard will have to earn my trust. He hasn't yet.
    I think it would be extremely hard to put anything related to this football season on Pollard. The best AD in the world could not have changed a single thing about this season and how it played out, especially just coming in. Pollard made a great move, in a decisive way regarding men's basketball. He showed that he is a man of action, and made a great, quick decision that was heralded around the country. I can't say that he is going to make every decision correctly, but he is off to a great start.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    Don't think it should be a campaign either. Debating if he is the right man for the job is what makes great message board theatre.
    Yeah, I guess you got a good point about what makes good(entertaining) theater.

Fanatic #25

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Fact is its all going to come down to the people buying tickets and donating money.

If there is a drop of ticket sells and donations McCarney is gone!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Won't know on ticket sales until next year. My guess is it comes down to two things. One, at the end of season does JP believe that Mac can deliver the expected level of success in the next year or two. Two, do a group of large donors attempt to force JP's hand as he is raising money for facilities.