Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Exclamation Heres what I think..

No this isnt another thread of rambling on about how bad or not bad Coach McCarney is. I am not going to give any opinionated thoughts about the direction of this football team. Here is what I am going to do or say. Just wait, and maybe shut up for a second or two.

Pollard has already released a statement saying he isnt doing ANYTHING till the end of the season. So all the bickering and complaining about the coach or the team is not going to help things at all. Nothing is going to change right this second though as badly as some of you might want it. My view is to just wait and see what happens. I will enjoy what i can of this unpredictable season, and try and cheer as loud as I can as any cyclone fan should do for the University.

Now I do find those threads interesting that point out good facts and intelligent thoughts about the history of this program. The theory behind the Offensive Line and Meyers production was a great thread. These recruiting thoughts and opinions are very informative and entertaining. It definately grabs your attention and makes you think what might the Athlectic department do. But the others that just slam an idvidual for his hardwork, or this team for their motivation are becoming more redundant and annoying.

I most certainly have my opinon on this matter and what i wouldnt mind see happen. But i am by far the most uneducated person about how to handle this situation and what would be best for this university. Pollard has shown all of us a lot of what we have been waiting for, for a long time at this university. He has already made SMART decisions that got all of us excited. So I trust when the time comes, Pollard will make another SMART decision concerning this program, coach, and university that will have us once again excited to see ISU football as it once was a few years ago, and what we thought it would have been this year.

So my deal to all of you is this;

Until the time comes that a coaching decision needs to be made, and Pollard has given his professional view of how to handle these unfortunate events for next year, lets just hold off on all the negativity. We are already on the bottom and can only work our way up, which for any fan should be something to help cheer for.

So I ask, Deal or No Deal?

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Re: Heres what I think..

I held the same stance all season until after Saturday. What will this team do for the last 4 games that will change anyone's mind? What's done is done - and that's this team looking lost all season.

If we win these last four games - great. However, changes still need to be made. We can't consistently start the Big 12 season 0-3, 0-4, etc. We can't consistently look like a team that does not belong on the same field as Texas and Oklahoma. In 2006, we have regressed - no matter how we finish these final 4 games.

I'm going to support this team and coaches through the season - because that's what fans do. I'll be there for Kansas and Missouri - regardless of what our record is at the time. We are still traveling to Boulder to watch our Cyclones play Colorado. No changes there.

But I expect to see some changes at the end of the season. Do I think it's fair to discuss possible replacements at this time? No, I think it's foolish as we don't have an opening today. Yet I'm done pulling punches when it comes to this coaching staff.

And if you read between the lines of the interview with Pollard in the CR paper, he's just about done too.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am completely with you ISUFan22. My opinion is exactly the same. I guess where i was trying to come from is I am not going to keep preaching it over, and over, and over. I have said it once and I hope something does change. But it is out of my hands all together and nothing is going to happen now, so why not try to enjoy some of what is left and leave it up to the people who get paid for it.

Thanks for the feedback.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    I am completely with you ISUFan22. My opinion is exactly the same. I guess where i was trying to come from is I am not going to keep preaching it over, and over, and over. I have said it once and I hope something does change. But it is out of my hands all together and nothing is going to happen now, so why not try to enjoy some of what is left and leave it up to the people who get paid for it.

Thanks for the feedback.
    It's very, very difficult to enjoy much of anything out of this season. That's what's frustrating.

In our wins...

From a pure football fan perspective...the Toledo, UNLV and UNI games were fantastic. All thrillers that came down to the final play.

From an ISU fan perspective, we finally won in overtime and won some close games - this avoided us in '05. However, they were over teams named Toledo, UNLV and D-IAA UNI. We won, and that's what I said after the games - yet they were an indication for concern. Deservedly so.

In our losses...

From a pure football fan perspective, the Cyclones stink. On offense ISU is not protecting the QB and are forced out of their running game because they are behind. Increasing the pressure on our QB because teams know they must pass. The QB now has happy feet and ISU's stellar wide receivers don't seem to have the separation they had last year. Defensively they're fielding an almost entirely new unit that is young, inexperienced and is struggling with fundamentals right now.

ISU has not looked even close to the caliber of Texas and Oklahoma. Even Nebraska seemed far superior. They had Iowa beat but let it slip away just before the half. Tech just lost in a big way to a bad Colorado team, yet was able to dominate ISU, even in spite of many penalties and 2 muffed punts.

From a ISU fan perspective, ditto the above.

The only reason we may enjoy the remaining games a bit more is we're playing the worst teams in the Big 12 with exception to Missouri. Barring a meltdown in Mizzu - I think they'll defeat much like how the Huskers did. KSU, KU and CU - well - if we can't beat them - I'll puke. To me, thatís not enjoyable.

I'm not being pessimistic - just realistic. And that perspective tells me to have the barf bag ready.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 343
    Given: 268

Makes me shudder - your observations are too realistic.

Unless God gives Dan Moses the "10 Ways to win the four games", we are in for dismal thoughts. When Dan is "sleepless at night trying to figure it out", the World Herald article alerts me to the fact he has no solution in sight.

Hey, we are playing the dregs of the conference and we are not sure we can win anymore. That is not good.

If we cannot block and Stevie is hurt, Dan the Man needs to step and change the formation like to put the Kochster in to provide the oline the help they need. If the oline cannot block, bench them. If we are going to have our qb run over like a MAC truck, let's do it with our backups. At least then we have an excuse for our senior "I can't move" oline.

The one thing we really lack beside realistic playcalling is some innate toughness. We just to be fairly tough. What happened in the last three months? Someone take away our spinach?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like what your saying by all means. Those three games that we won were not fun at all. I just about had a heartattack from those.

The remaining games might be hard for some to enjoy. I like them because its a chance to really focus on the young players. I like getting a feel for how they play. I dont need to pay attention to how we score(maybe) and the execution of the plays.(because there hasnt been much of that) I like to just see how these younger players who get to play actually react to the game. Thats how i enjoy the rest of them. And when something great happens, i will be there yelling as loud as i can. I am here to support, through thick or thin, no matter what i might like to see change.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post

If we win these last four games - great. However, changes still need to be made. We can't consistently start the Big 12 season 0-3, 0-4, etc. We can't consistently look like a team that does not belong on the same field as Texas and Oklahoma. In 2006, we have regressed - no matter how we finish these final 4 games.
    Very good point ISUFan. We aren't asking for consistant wins versus the Big XII elite, we just don't want to be embarrassed when we take the field against them. Right now, we don't belong on the same field as Texas, Oklahoma or Nebraska; and an entire nation of football fans knows it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This was the year that we had the talent and experience to compete. Well, at least on offense. But the offense didn't help us out and actually put even more pressure on the defense by making mistakes - putting them in tough positions.

2006, was our year to make a legitimate splash in the college football world. We looked to do it in 2002 but fell flat on our faces in Norman and never recovered. In '04 and '05 the schedule was set to do it, but in both years we let it slip away. Had we succeeded, the seasons would have been asterisked with "they didn't play the tough Big 12 teams".

So, 2006...

Difficult schedule? Check.
    Talent? Check.
    Healthy? Check

Hype? Check.
    Results? –

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    But it is out of my hands all together and nothing is going to happen now, so why not try to enjoy some of what is left and leave it up to the people who get paid for it.
    The people who make these decisions (namely Pollard) are going to be responsive to what they hear coming from the fans, at least to the extent that it affects the amount of money that can be brought in. If the coach is going to be fired it should be almost immediately after the season is over so that a new coach can come in right away and get to work. Thus all of the complaining during the season can serve a purpose. I'm sure if you emailed Pollard and mentioned how your contributions would go down if McCarney remains coach he would consider it when deciding whether or not to keep him.

Seneca Wallace.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I am not a Mac supporter, but it would be a mistake to pull Mac out at the end of the year and insert a brand new offense and coaching scheme for Meyer and Blythe's senior year. They are true weapons and to mail it in on their career by hamstringing them with a brand new staff, offense and scheme would be a mistake and would say we have already given up on 07.

Face it, they really can't look much worse next year than this year. The brand new O-line may be a blessing (or not.) And the D will be a year older and more experienced-we will loose one consistent starter in Curvey and a part timer in Morehead.

I have been as appalled as anyone at the season to date, but we knew we had a brutal schedule-second toughest in the nation going in to 2006. I'm willing to give Mac next year with a deep defense and a ****** off Bret (please roll me out more so I don't get pounded in the non existent pocket) Meyer to Todd (big play) Blythe combo looking to atone for this year.
    (yes, I am also a Cubs fan, so looking forward to next year comes naturally)
    WAR: four in a row

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nice positive post. Let's look at another positive. After all the disappointment we have seen so far it is over for awhile. At least in basketball we are picked 12th in the conference. That means we can't fail to live up to our expectations. We can either meet or beat those expectations. Right now that really sounds nice.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I like your positive attitude, but they are NOT weapons if we don't use them as weapons. Right now our entire offense is nothing but wasted talent. A coaching change, something drastic, is the only was we improve next season. Starting 0-4 every year in conference play is completely and utterly unacceptable. 12 years is quite long enough.

Last edited by mike4cy; 10-25-2006 at 12:19 PM.
    --Luck of the Cyrish--

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Hypothetically, what if we won our last 4 games and then won our bowl game to finish 8-5 on a 5 game winning streak. Do we still call for McCarney to be fired at the end of the season?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    Hypothetically, what if we won our last 4 games and then won our bowl game to finish 8-5 on a 5 game winning streak. Do we still call for McCarney to be fired at the end of the season?
    I gotta think we do...

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Most certainly.