Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 53

Cost-per-win

Another thread (the one about Ferentz being on the hot seat) got me interested in this topic. In the link that was included in that thread, it mentioned the cost of each win for Iowa, given Ferentz salary. I decided to do a search to see if there was any information about cost-per-win for the 2007 season. While we may like to laugh at the hawkeyes, we didn't do too much better...

Cost-per-win for Division I-A schools - USATODAY.com

Okay, I know that we are in a rebuilding process. I trust that GC will help build this program. I just found this article interesting!

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Re: Cost-per-win

In all fairness I think doing it year by year is a bunch of poop. I dislike the hawkeyes as much as anyone but if you consider the cost per win over the course of his career there it probably doesn't look too bad. I don't think anyone saw the program collapsing the way it has after the orange bowl when he got that fat contract. But it is interesting non the less.

I'm kind of a big deal!

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by AWOL2000 View Post
    In all fairness I think doing it year by year is a bunch of poop. I dislike the hawkeyes as much as anyone but if you consider the cost per win over the course of his career there it probably doesn't look too bad. I don't think anyone saw the program collapsing the way it has after the orange bowl when he got that fat contract. But it is interesting non the less.
    He is 73-70 in 9 seasons at Iowa. I know he hasn't made 3 million his whole time there but if you were to take 3 million and divide it by wins per season (8.1) than he is make almost 370K a win. That is a lot of cash!!!

Averaging it out, Iowa has probably paid him an average of 1.75 a year. If you do it that way than he still gets paid 216K per Win

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Valid point but how about any of Michigan State's coaches, or Ill, or some of the other schools. I bet it isn't as bad as Tex A&M. Don't get me wrong its still not good but I am sure there are a lot worse.

I'm kind of a big deal!

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 33

To me, the most interesting aspect of KF's salary is how it demonstrates such incompetence by the UI AD's office. KF was given a salary higher than Jim Tressel at OSU. wtf? What AD could not honestly look KF in the face and tell him that $3.0 million a year is ridiculous compared to the BEST coach in the Big Ten conference. KF was given a salary higher than Pete Carroll. huh? And given the cost of living difference between Southern Cal and Iowa, you almost have to justify KF being worth about twice as much as Pete.

The amount of the increase from his prior contract simply cannot be justified as necessary or even market to pay someone to coach at Iowa. KF's agent must have been laughing at the AD's office after feeding them some line of crap about all the NFL teams that would pay that much for KF. KF has been laughing all the way to the bank ever since.