Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Money Saving Practices at work?

I'm sure my place of employment is not the only place pinching pennies right now by trying to impliment crazy "cost saving" initiatives. Just this week they removed trash cans from every desk on a couple floors and put out community trash receptacles. Sounds like they want to do this in all our buildings eventually but these are their "test" floors. I'm guessing it will cut down on their janitorial costs. Funny thing is how much productivity do you think you lose from people having to get up from their desk to throw things away and in the process possibly getting distracted and wasting more time? Plus just how gross is it that now if you blow your nose you have to either put it in a plastic trash bag you brought to work or carry to the trash receptacle or even just let it sit on your desk till you can throw it away?

There are so many other wasteful things that could be cut back on but for some reason they don't care to address those. Like I really need the 2 monthly "newsletter" publications we get that are printed in color on higher quality paper. I figured that a rough guess it costs at least $3 each to print those and that is not counting the soft dollars of paying the mail staff to distribute them throughout the office or have them shipped to the remote sites lets say a conservative estimate of $5 a month per employee for the 2 publications times around 20,000 employees times 12 months is $1.2 million a year on those that about 80% of the people hardly read (if at all) and wind up throwing in the trash.

Again that is just a conservative rough estimate too, I'm curious what with all the costs associated from the time it's turned into a newsletter to the time it gets thrown into the trash can how many dollars have gone to waste. Just post the thing in pdf format on the company website and let those who actually read it read it online.

Anyone have some stories to share on this topic? I think sometimes what in theory sounds like it will save money when put into practice actually winds up costing you soft dollars in productivity lost from doing it.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 91

Re: Money Saving Practices at work?

Well if they get up from their chair to throw something away in the community garbage, they are excercising therefore lowering the cost of health insurance.....=)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 527
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How about sending a silver bell to every employee (approx 1000) to commerate our CEO ringing the bell on the stock exchange.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

We just stopped paying the bills here. We've saved a ton of money and the collectors can't reach us because our phones have been shut off.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 91

Sending out paper announcements instead of email or PDF is a great way to cut cost and waste. The company I work for has been providing bottled water and cans of pop to employees for a couple of years now and I am part of the committee who is taking it away. It was a nice thing to have, but in the end it costs alot. Especially the bottled water. We are going to offer the bill culligan dispensers instead. I guess people were taking the bottles and cans home with them since they were free. Always someone willing to abuse the system.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

My wife works at Deere and she has a Nextel phone they gave her but she can't charge it at work because they are trying to save electricity.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Quote Originally Posted by mramseyISU View Post
    My wife works at Deere and she has a Nextel phone they gave her but she can't charge it at work because they are trying to save electricity.
    How lame. Yet I would bet that some outdoor lighting stays on all day. There probably aren't occupancy sensors in bathrooms. Lighting systems are probably outdated T-12 and magnetic ballasts. Not to mention the efficiency and effectivenss of the HVAC system in the building probably isn't as good as it could be. And yet, with all of that, you can't charge a cellphone at work.

Lame.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

our company sends the sales people and family members to Cancun and just give us a LOOOOOWWWWW wage increase about 1%. we do get a turkey every year as a bonus

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

I read once where a company (I cant be certain but it was a bigger company like IBM or GE) implemented a cost saving structure that the employee that came up with idea got a % of the savings. One lady, I believe a secretary came up with a proposal to print all items 2 sided instead of the more popular 1 sided. She ended up saving them millions making her a pretty penny and retiring off of it.

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 81

haha... I turn the heat down in the bathrooms. It is amazing how fast people that use toliets get out of the bathroom when it is set to 64 degrees. For the summer, we turn the AC 'up' so it is 74-75. at 11K sq feet, you save a lot by moving the thermostat.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I'm sure my place of employment is not the only place pinching pennies right now by trying to impliment crazy "cost saving" initiatives. Just this week they removed trash cans from every desk on a couple floors and put out community trash receptacles. Sounds like they want to do this in all our buildings eventually but these are their "test" floors. I'm guessing it will cut down on their janitorial costs. Funny thing is how much productivity do you think you lose from people having to get up from their desk to throw things away and in the process possibly getting distracted and wasting more time? Plus just how gross is it that now if you blow your nose you have to either put it in a plastic trash bag you brought to work or carry to the trash receptacle or even just let it sit on your desk till you can throw it away?

There are so many other wasteful things that could be cut back on but for some reason they don't care to address those. Like I really need the 2 monthly "newsletter" publications we get that are printed in color on higher quality paper. I figured that a rough guess it costs at least $3 each to print those and that is not counting the soft dollars of paying the mail staff to distribute them throughout the office or have them shipped to the remote sites lets say a conservative estimate of $5 a month per employee for the 2 publications times around 20,000 employees times 12 months is $1.2 million a year on those that about 80% of the people hardly read (if at all) and wind up throwing in the trash.

Again that is just a conservative rough estimate too, I'm curious what with all the costs associated from the time it's turned into a newsletter to the time it gets thrown into the trash can how many dollars have gone to waste. Just post the thing in pdf format on the company website and let those who actually read it read it online.

Anyone have some stories to share on this topic? I think sometimes what in theory sounds like it will save money when put into practice actually winds up costing you soft dollars in productivity lost from doing it.

I know where you work!!!!!

I agree with the publications. I look at it for about 5 minutes and then it is trash. What a waste!

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think increasing productivity and reducing time spent in meetings are the easiest ways to cut costs.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When I worked at Hy-Vee in High School...they once told us not to bag the milk unless the customer asked us to do so. I asked why and they said they were trying to cut costs of using bags. But you know those bags are like 1/10th of a penny and they thought not bagging milk unless customer asked was going to save a lot of money. Maybe it did, but I thought it was stupid.

On another note, I think I read a story a couple years ago about some airline that cut back on 1 olive per salad on flights with meals, and over the course of the year they saved something like 40,000 dollars...ill look for the link.

Schneier on Security: <i>Consumer Reports</i> on Aviation Security and the TSA do a find on page for olive...interesting thign about spoons on flights also

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one (1) olive from each salad served in first-class.
    Travel Blog: american airlines archives

Last edited by scottie33; 04-08-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    haha... I turn the heat down in the bathrooms. It is amazing how fast people that use toliets get out of the bathroom when it is set to 64 degrees. For the summer, we turn the AC 'up' so it is 74-75. at 11K sq feet, you save a lot by moving the thermostat.

-keep
    That is one big bathroom.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I now have to bring my own toliet paper from home...............Must secure it in a lock desk drawer