"Miracle Mario's" shot was great, no doubt but...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

"Miracle Mario's" shot was great, no doubt but...

how about Sherron Collins' steal and three to get it within 4? That play was absolutely incredible! An amazing steal (he picked it off and somehow found a teammate as he was flying uncontrollably out of bounds) followed up with a swished 3pter...it wasn't until this play that I thought KU had a shot at the comeback. That kid is a baller - pretty good D on Rose for a good portion of the night too.

And BTW, that's one of the few times I've ever rooted for Kansas, and I was rooting for them hard too. Memphis just bothers me...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Re: "Miracle Mario's" shot was great, no doubt but...

That was one of the more fun games I have ever watched. It was great to have it as the national championship!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 17

DEFENSE and the FREE THROW made the game. Memphis totally choked as they missed all of the critical free throws.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

For a team that was just bad shooting 3's in that game they sure were clutch when they needed them.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,818
    Given: 171

Some might call that a sloppy game. It certainly was intense. I don't know that I've ever seen so many hustle plays in the transition game. How many times did we see an seemingly easy fastbreak get derailed becuase of quickness/hustle? It was great to watch. It seemed like whenever one team would get a little momentum, the other one would just crank up the intensity and get it back. I haven't been that caught up in a NCAA Championship game since Syracuse beat Kansas a few years ago.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 209

[quote=Cloned4Life;435370]how about Sherron Collins' steal and three to get it within 4? That play was absolutely incredible! An amazing steal (he picked it off and somehow found a teammate as he was flying uncontrollably out of bounds) followed up with a swished 3pter...quote]

That really was Kansas ball all year long - Collins / Robinson / Chalmers had an incredible year with steals..

But for GAWD's sake - why didn't the Memphis players know enough to intentionally foul on the last play of regulation - instead of letting KU tie the game with a trey????

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

I have said all year long and after watching the NCAA tourney I believe it even more, Sherron Collins is the most overrated player in the country. Sure he is lightning quick and a good defender, but he is cancer to an offense. He doesn't pass the ball well, takes ill advised shots, doesn't make much, and is a turnover waiting to happen. He goes so fast that he forgets the ball half the time. He was the main reason that UNC got back into the game on Saturday. With that said the play he made at the end of the Memphis game was very nice. He has talent galore and if he can learn how to play within himself and the team, he can be a very good player. But right now he is the worst main player on Kansas team

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I looks like CBS College Sports Net is replaying the game at 8:00 Thursday evening. I need to watch it again. What a game.

Last edited by ozone; 04-08-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Correct replay time and date

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I have said all year long and after watching the NCAA tourney I believe it even more, Sherron Collins is the most overrated player in the country. Sure he is lightning quick and a good defender, but he is cancer to an offense. He doesn't pass the ball well, takes ill advised shots, doesn't make much, and is a turnover waiting to happen. He goes so fast that he forgets the ball half the time. He was the main reason that UNC got back into the game on Saturday. With that said the play he made at the end of the Memphis game was very nice. He has talent galore and if he can learn how to play within himself and the team, he can be a very good player. But right now he is the worst main player on Kansas team
    Sherron is NOT the worst player. He is a good player and served the purpose for the KU team. He is the only one (besides B-rush) that knows how to break the defense and can penetrate. He is still maturing with his passing skills and being PG. There is no such thing as BAD player on KU roster.... Any of them can score 20 points at ANY given night.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by greatshu View Post
    Sherron is NOT the worst player. He is a good player and served the purpose for the KU team. He is the only one (besides B-rush) that knows how to break the defense and can penetrate. He is still maturing with his passing skills and being PG. There is no such thing as BAD player on KU roster.... Any of them can score 20 points at ANY given night.
    I never said the guy is bad. I said that he is overrated, and was the worst main player on that team. When Collins is in the game, their offense goes in the tank. Watch the last two games. He dribbles way to much. Yes, he can penetrate but once he gets to the lane he never kicks, but rather forces up a shot. Also Chalmers gets to the lane as well but makes a much quicker decision on whether to pull up, drive, or pass.

In KU's last 4 games, he went 11-32 with 16 TO's. 7 against UNC. The guy has potential to be really good, but he has to slow down and realize his game. He is not going to be a scorer. He is going to have to break a defense down, read what the d gives him, and react. Right now it is head down and towards the hoop. Would have been a great RB

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

1 more freethrow and memphis wouldve won, i hope all coaches take a lesson and make their teams practice freethrows every practice

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 250

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    But for GAWD's sake - why didn't the Memphis players know enough to intentionally foul on the last play of regulation - instead of letting KU tie the game with a trey????
    Chalmers took the shot right around the 4-second mark.

Picture this scenario...
    Memphis fouls KU with 5 or 6 seconds left...
    KU makes both FT's...one point game...
    KU fouls immediately...little time goes off the clock...
    Memphis (completely in character) misses both FT's...
    Kansas gets the second missed FT rebound, scoots down the court and scores a short-range bucket to win the game...

I think it only takes 3 seconds or something like that for a fast guard to drive the length of the court. Nobody is going to risk fouling the guy racing down the court and put him at the line to shoot the winning FTs, so he'll have free run to get close to the hoop.

With that much time left, I think you foul to prevent the trey if you are confident that your players can make the ensuing FTs that your team will get on the next posession. If you don't think your players can make the FTs, it's very risky to make that foul, knowing that the other team will get 2 FTs, and then have a few seconds to make a tying or winning shot if your players can't make the FTs.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 04-08-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I never said the guy is bad. I said that he is overrated, and was the worst main player on that team. When Collins is in the game, their offense goes in the tank. Watch the last two games. He dribbles way to much. Yes, he can penetrate but once he gets to the lane he never kicks, but rather forces up a shot. Also Chalmers gets to the lane as well but makes a much quicker decision on whether to pull up, drive, or pass.

In KU's last 4 games, he went 11-32 with 16 TO's. 7 against UNC. The guy has potential to be really good, but he has to slow down and realize his game. He is not going to be a scorer. He is going to have to break a defense down, read what the d gives him, and react. Right now it is head down and towards the hoop. Would have been a great RB

I think you also need to take into consideration the guards he was playing against. Lawson is one of the quickest and toughest guards in college basketball, definitely very good defensively. And Rose is also very big, strong, quick and good at defense. I think those two guards would make a lot of people pretty ordinary. Collins is only a sophmore. I think he's a pretty darn good guard. I know I'd take him on Iowa State's team.

Walk On
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

The odds of KU getting a clean look at a 2 with less than 5 seconds is worse than getting off a decent 3 like they did. I think they should have fouled, it takes time to get the ball in bounds on both ends, plus it's always possible KU misses one of the FT's and you make both.

The dumbest play was hyphen going in for the layup on the 3 on 1 with 30 seconds left. He could have taken another 5-10 seconds off easy if he kicks it back out and still got to miss his 2 FT's with less time left for KU. Dumb plays were made by dumb players down the stretch, if you ask me.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,309
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 142

Rush is the guy that can win or loose a game for KU. He can really light it up and he can also shoot them right out of a game by taking 10 bad shots in a row. I would still love to have him at ISU, but ....