Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Bar Smoking Bans May Increase Drunken Driving

Enacting city smoking bans appears to increase drunken driving, a study of arrests conducted by Wisconsin researchers asserts.

A national study to be released by the Journal of Public Economics found an increase of fatal accidents involving alcohol after communities prohibited smoking, compared to arrests in communities without a ban.

The authors attribute that to people driving to places without a ban, and also to driving farther to find a place within a ban area that has an outdoor smoking accommodation, such as a patio.

"The increased miles driven by drivers who wish to smoke and drink offsets any reduction in driving from smokers choosing to stay home after a ban, resulting in increased alcohol-related accidents," the study says.

The authors, Scott Adams of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Economics Department and Chad Cotti, currently at the University of South Carolina, call the results "surprising."

"We thought we would see a reduction," Adams said. "Our first thought was, 'Throw it away, it must be wrong.' "

However, Adams said the claim is backed up by the data.

Link:
    local

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Bar Smoking Bans May Increase Drunken Driving

Wait...they did the study in Wisconsin? I wonder if they tested UW-Madison. Party central. I'm pretty sure drunk driving arrests are not a function of smoking, regardless.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

One of the first things they stress in statistics classes is correlation does NOT mean causation. Too often statisticians forget this rule. That's how the two sayings about statistics came into being:

1. Statisticians can make statistics mean anything they want them to.

2. There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 1,201

Darwinism at it's finest...

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It makes some sense, some people need to take off their college glasses and see things on a smaller level. A bar in a town of 3000 has like 15 regulars, all smoke. They are told they can't smoke there so they go to another honkytonk type bar 10 miles away where they can. Enacting smoking bans on bars in Ames, IC, CR, etc wouldn't hurt the bars revenue drastically, but a smoking ban could put these smaller establishments in smaller towns out of business.

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

56% of all statistics are made up...or so Hooters says so.

The thing I question about this is whether you drive 5 miles to your local bar that you always hang out at that has a smoking ban or you drive 10 miles to one that doesn't have a smoking ban...the bottom line is your going to be driving under the influence either way whether it's 5 miles or 10 miles. It's still illegal to drive drunk. I agree you have more of a chance to get in a wreck or get pulled over driving 10 miles over 5 miles.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 112

The root cause of drunken driving accidents is people who drink to the point of impairment, and then go driving. Until our society decides to deal with the root cause, drunken driving accidents will continue to be a thorn in our collective side, smoking ban or no smoking ban.

If these professors want to study something, they should be studying why people are routinely willing to impair themselves with a drug to the point that 1) results in very unpleasant physical after-effects, and 2) results in them becoming a substantial hazard to other members of society.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 04-08-2008 at 01:16 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    It makes some sense, some people need to take off their college glasses and see things on a smaller level. A bar in a town of 3000 has like 15 regulars, all smoke. They are told they can't smoke there so they go to another honkytonk type bar 10 miles away where they can. Enacting smoking bans on bars in Ames, IC, CR, etc wouldn't hurt the bars revenue drastically, but a smoking ban could put these smaller establishments in smaller towns out of business.
    I think there has been talk on a different thread about this same "establishments will go out of business" if a smoking ban is passed. But it has been passed in a number of states, and I think someone else mentioned that owners haven't seen a decrease in business but an increase in business.

Again, people don't go to a bar to just smoke. People go to a bar to drink and have a good time. I haven't heard anyone say "well I'm going to go to Mickey's so I can smoke some cigarettes"

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Agreed drunk driving is no good no matter the distance yet I'm thinking of my hometown in the thick of Eastern Iowa...most of the people that go to the bar here are people that live in the town only a couple blocks away. Over spring break I went bar hoppin in Monticello, which is pretty much just walking from bar to bar and home. Everyone smoked, which I have no problem with, but you do get treated like a second class citizen if you sport an ISU hat inside.

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    Agreed drunk driving is no good no matter the distance yet I'm thinking of my hometown in the thick of Eastern Iowa...most of the people that go to the bar here are people that live in the town only a couple blocks away. Over spring break I went bar hoppin in Monticello, which is pretty much just walking from bar to bar and home. Everyone smoked, which I have no problem with, but you do get treated like a second class citizen if you sport an ISU hat inside.
    How does this back up that establishments are going to lose all their business if a smoking ban is passed? It's not that hard to get up and go smoke outside...or is it?

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    I think there has been talk on a different thread about this same "establishments will go out of business" if a smoking ban is passed. But it has been passed in a number of states, and I think someone else mentioned that owners haven't seen a decrease in business but an increase in business.

Again, people don't go to a bar to just smoke. People go to a bar to drink and have a good time. I haven't heard anyone say "well I'm going to go to Mickey's so I can smoke some cigarettes"
    Smoking ban has been effect here in WA for quite some time. Bars are still full, restaurants are still full, bowling alleys are still full, my clothes smell fresh and my throat no longer hurts after a night out.

As for statistics - there is a direct coorelation between the number of pirates and global warming. In the 1800s there were many pirates and little or no global warming. Now we have much much fewer pirates and global warming seems to be the accepted mantra. Easy solution - we need more pirates.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    Smoking ban has been effect here in WA for quite some time. Bars are still full, restaurants are still full, bowling alleys are still full, my clothes smell fresh and my throat no longer hurts after a night out.

As for statistics - there is a direct coorelation between the number of pirates and global warming. In the 1800s there were many pirates and little or no global warming. Now we have much much fewer pirates and global warming seems to be the accepted mantra. Easy solution - we need more pirates.
    I love the feeling of getting home and not smelling like *** and my throat doesn't hurt from the smoke.

As for the pirates, I can see the correlation. Arrrrrr, very good point. I'm dropping out of school and going to make up my own pirate crew. As long as I can get on CycloneFanatic I will be happy. but if they have a smoking ban on pirate ships, my idea is going to go down the pisser.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The results of this study do make some sense, but would primarily apply to localized smoking bans. If the state wide ban gets passed that problem is solved for the most part, because the only place to then drive to is another state.

[Edit] I went back and noticed the outdoor accommodations part, but the general point of a state level ban addressing this problem better than local bans still makes sense.

Last edited by Kyle; 04-08-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    Seneca Wallace.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    May you be touched by his noodly appendage.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Sounds to me like MILES of drunken driving might have increased. But drunken driving was going to happen either way.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)