Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

Something to chew on

With all of this talk about firing Mac and the state of the football program… I think it would be important to note one thing that I think is important. Let’s face it, at ISU, Mac has provided the program with at least a modicum of consistency. There aren’t a whole lot of winning seasons in the history of the program and Mac has a good deal of them.

Over the last 6-7 years, we’ve been consistently…alright. He’s hanging around .500 ball with some bad seasons mixed in there. We’ve enjoyed some mild success. The fan base seems somewhat rejuvenated.

The line between us and complete suckitude is very thin. The step up to a better program is a lot bigger. I’m not saying it can’t be done, just that it’s difficult.

I’m also not saying Mac should or shouldn’t be fired. I really don’t know what’s going on inside the program, I don’t know what’s best for the program, and in reality, my opinion isn’t really worth crap. If it was, I’d be getting paid six figures to figure out the direction of the overall athletic department.

I’ll be behind JP whatever he decides to do in the off-season. I just don’t think firing Mac is a sure thing, and I think it’s important somebody says that. If we fire Mac, within the next five years we could have a 9 or 10 win season again and absolutely love life. But I think the chances are greater that we’ll regress to the state of the program before Mac or maintain the current status quo.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 322

Re: Something to chew on

True and I hear what you're saying but I don't have a lot of confidence that Mac can do any better next year and we'll have experience everywhere except the line.

It all comes down to this.

When the North sucks overall and we have an easy schedule then we'll probably go to a bowl in Shreveport.

When the North is Good and we have an easy south schedule we'll probably win 5-6 games.

When the North is good and we have to play the tough south teams, we'll win 3-4 games.

So when the stars align perfectly we can be over .500. From NU and CU's track record I don't think these are going to be easy or even winnable games for much longer. Both programs won't except crappy teams. So every year we have to hope that Baylor, OSU, KSU, KU, etc are down so we can beat them. Remember the stat of only beating 2 Big 12 teams with winning records in 12 years.

If people are happy with that then Mac should stay at ISU forever.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post

When the North sucks overall and we have an easy schedule then we'll probably go to a bowl in Shreveport.

When the North is Good and we have an easy south schedule we'll probably win 5-6 games.

When the North is good and we have to play the tough south teams, we'll win 3-4 games.
    Exactly. ISU football will always be cyclical in the Big XII. I'm not sure how possible it will be to break out of that - esp. with Mac. I'm also not sure another coach can come in and bring consistent winning no matter who ISU is playing.

JP is really in a catch-22 when it comes to post-season decisions. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'm glad it's him and not me making the call!

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    With all of this talk about firing Mac and the state of the football program… I think it would be important to note one thing that I think is important. Let’s face it, at ISU, Mac has provided the program with at least a modicum of consistency. There aren’t a whole lot of winning seasons in the history of the program and Mac has a good deal of them.

Over the last 6-7 years, we’ve been consistently…alright. He’s hanging around .500 ball with some bad seasons mixed in there. We’ve enjoyed some mild success. The fan base seems somewhat rejuvenated.

The line between us and complete suckitude is very thin. The step up to a better program is a lot bigger. I’m not saying it can’t be done, just that it’s difficult.

I’m also not saying Mac should or shouldn’t be fired. I really don’t know what’s going on inside the program, I don’t know what’s best for the program, and in reality, my opinion isn’t really worth crap. If it was, I’d be getting paid six figures to figure out the direction of the overall athletic department.

I’ll be behind JP whatever he decides to do in the off-season. I just don’t think firing Mac is a sure thing, and I think it’s important somebody says that. If we fire Mac, within the next five years we could have a 9 or 10 win season again and absolutely love life. But I think the chances are greater that we’ll regress to the state of the program before Mac or maintain the current status quo.
    So what are you saying?

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am suprised to see people say their opinion won't change pollard's. Seems like a lot of people on here think they have more say in the fball program then they really do. I like the sig Nedrick.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,381
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 41

So what you are saying is that ISU sinks at FB, it always has, and always will. Given that, why do we pay Mac $1.1 a year? If we are will to accept that ISU is destine to be bad, then I see no reason not to change. Let's give some other guy a chance. The painful truth is Mac has done most of his winning against truely horrible teams. The only decent team that he seems to be able to beat is Iowa. That is great for starts, but you can't build a FB program around a rivalry.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying, for everybody that thinks it's a good idea to fire Mac, will it seems like such a good idea if we don't improve under the next coach? Because that seems more likely than not in my opinion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 171

You are right on Bryce, that firing mac and expecting 9 win seasons are not a sure thing. If nine win seasons at Ia State were easy Majors or Bruce would have already of done it. Small Budget Small Stadium teams will always struggle in the big 12 conference.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying, for everybody that thinks it's a good idea to fire Mac, will it seems like such a good idea if we don't improve under the next coach? Because that seems more likely than not in my opinion.
    I am with you on that, to me the question is where the program is headed right now.

The way I see it, it is regressing and regressing fast. I only see signs of problems, during this season, and also patterns or trends of issues. I don't see anything to expect the next season or 2 to be much if any better than this one, mainly from a recruits/player developement standpoint. When we had success, I think I overlooked some of these problems.

Now I am no coach or AD, so the way I see it could be totally wrong.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    True and I hear what you're saying but I don't have a lot of confidence that Mac can do any better next year and we'll have experience everywhere except the line.

So when the stars align perfectly we can be over .500. From NU and CU's track record I don't think these are going to be easy or even winnable games for much longer. Both programs won't except crappy teams. So every year we have to hope that Baylor, OSU, KSU, KU, etc are down so we can beat them. Remember the stat of only beating 2 Big 12 teams with winning records in 12 years.

If people are happy with that then Mac should stay at ISU forever.
    Very good points. You nailed it!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mac is going to be gone by the end of the year. If he stays for another year, how many of you would buy season tickets??? I sure as hell wouldnt!! If Pollard wants money to continue to come from the football program he is going to have to make the change.

Legend
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 322

I'll still buy them, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to these things. Next year I may buy them and just tailgate all year instead. I do have to say that the tailgating has never been better this year.