Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Tradition

With all due respect to Michael Bradley, I take exception to his notion that ISU is fated for nothing because of its current situation. As others have pointed out (CycloneWorld) usually it is having one winning coach who creates a tradition. Bowden at FSU, Bryant at Alabama, Fry at Iowa etc.

Winning = tradition. So we should continue to accept losing because ISU has no tradition thereby ensuring that no tradition will ever be created?

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,005
    Given: 535

Re: Tradition

Five bowls in six years is the start of tradition in my eyes. This season has sucked, but ISU has been starting to receive national attention for the first time ever. Why else would ABC pick up the Nebraska game? Because it merited national attention. Most experts pencilled in that game as a very significant game in the Big 12 North. As it turned out, not so much.

But my point is, McCarney has taken the program to a level that merits national attention, and I believe he can take it even further, given the time, and an offensive coordinator with some imagination.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

You probably believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and that the world is flat...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,005
    Given: 535

No, I believe that "Santa Claus" could be compared to some people's vision of the next coach. A figure of pure fantasy who will arrive out of nowhere and take ISU to the rarified air of the USC's and Ohio St.'s of the world.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    No, I believe that "Santa Claus" could be compared to some people's vision of the next coach. A figure of pure fantasy who will arrive out of nowhere and take ISU to the rarified air of the USC's and Ohio St.'s of the world.
    Nicely done.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

You are right cyclonepride.

If a change is made, then there will be some risk that the coach will tank and we will wish for Mac back. See Iowa with Steve Alford and Tom Davis. I don't know how much risk but there will be some...no doubt about it.

I trust Jamie Pollard to make the right decision.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Five bowls in six years is the start of tradition in my eyes. This season has sucked, but ISU has been starting to receive national attention for the first time ever. Why else would ABC pick up the Nebraska game? Because it merited national attention. Most experts pencilled in that game as a very significant game in the Big 12 North. As it turned out, not so much.

But my point is, McCarney has taken the program to a level that merits national attention, and I believe he can take it even further, given the time, and an offensive coordinator with some imagination.
    Given the time? OMG are you drunk?

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

What's wrong with SC, the EB, and Tooth Fairy? Is somebody not telling me something?

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

don't forget about elves, trolls, and sasquatch.

seriously, if anybody is drinking that kool-aid from the TSN writer this morning, they need to be slapped upside the head! The worry of things worsening if we change coaching regimes is ridiculous... look at the product on the field now! this was supposed to be THE year! blythe and meyer as upperclassmen, veteran line, blah blah blah.... save the "oh but we're in the big 12 and can't compete w/ those teams in the south and nebraska!" then what, should we just join the MAC? we seem to be good enough to beat one of their worst teams I suppose. I've said this before, I realize the nature of the ISU fanbase comes from agricultural roots, hearty, hard working, but CONSERVATIVE folk... we know what we'll get if we keep with current situation... do we keep Mac b/c he's a nice guy? and b/c he did turn around things when ISU was at rock bottom? that's great, and I appreciate what he did, but let's just evaluate things since 2000 to be fair, and to be honest, the 00 and 01 teams were fun, 02 had "tremendous" potential but I wonder if the meltdown the last half of the season is a trend you see with this coaching staff a la 2003 and this current season. 04 and 05 were full of potential, but again, ISU could not get it done when new benchmarks were handed to us on a silver platter. So what really has Dan done with HIS program (since 2000) ?

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,859
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    don't forget about elves, trolls, and sasquatch.

seriously, if anybody is drinking that kool-aid from the TSN writer this morning, they need to be slapped upside the head! The worry of things worsening if we change coaching regimes is ridiculous... look at the product on the field now! this was supposed to be THE year! blythe and meyer as upperclassmen, veteran line, blah blah blah.... ?
    Where did you ever read/hear this was supposed to be the year? With the holes we had on the defensive side no one was confident in a Big 12 North title...at least I sure as heck wasn't.

Fanatic #25

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    this was supposed to be THE year! blythe and meyer as upperclassmen, veteran line, blah blah blah.... save the "oh but we're in the big 12 and can't compete w/ those teams in the south and nebraska!" then what, should we just join the MAC? we seem to be good enough to beat one of their worst teams I suppose. I've said this before, I realize the nature of the ISU fanbase comes from agricultural roots, hearty, hard working, but CONSERVATIVE folk... we know what we'll get if we keep with current situation... do we keep Mac b/c he's a nice guy? and b/c he did turn around things when ISU was at rock bottom? that's great, and I appreciate what he did, but let's just evaluate things since 2000 to be fair, and to be honest, the 00 and 01 teams were fun, 02 had "tremendous" potential but I wonder if the meltdown the last half of the season is a trend you see with this coaching staff a la 2003 and this current season. 04 and 05 were full of potential, but again, ISU could not get it done when new benchmarks were handed to us on a silver platter. So what really has Dan done with HIS program (since 2000) ?
    This was supposed to be the year? With 4 returning defensive starters? And the off-season injuries?

Last year was supposed to be the year.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Five bowls in six years is the start of tradition in my eyes.

The bowl thing has to be thrown out nowadays. Nearly EVERYBODY goes to a bowl game now! Besides, which bowls did we go to, & did we WIN? Nope.

I agree that DMAC has taken the program to a respectable level of mediocrity, but he can't take it even further because has HAS ALREADY BEEN GIVEN TIME! With that said, we still need a new coordinator.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Where did you ever read/hear this was supposed to be the year? With the holes we had on the defensive side no one was confident in a Big 12 North title...at least I sure as heck wasn't.
    The abilities of the defense are absolutely no excuse for the way the offense has played.

The injuries have been unfortunate. But the failure of Berryman and Robo being on the field fall on the shoulders of the staff. Berryman should have been "coached" not to make the mistakes he made (three of them!!!) nor Roberson to take an illegal supplement.

Graduation on the other hand is a part of college football, these things should be accounted for and accomodated by proper recruitment.

I am not saying we should expect a "reload" type of system that the big boys enjoy, but we should not go from the best defense fielded last year to perhaps one of the worst this year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

Well, it's true that Santa overlooked Ames for a long time. They used to say the same thing about the MBB coaching position during the JO era that they are saying about FB now, and then Santa came along and left a couple of coaches that took ISU to the rarefied air of 2 Big 12 MBB titles and the Elite 8.

WBB was so terrible that those fans probably didn't even believe in Santa anymore, but then he came back again left a coach that took WBB to national prominence. Santa also brought a WVB coach who is working on turning that program around, and a gymnastics coach who took ISU to the rarefied air of the women's gymnastics "Final 4".

So, it's not like Santa doesn't come to Ames. IMO, he brought us GMac and CS last year. He can bring us FB coach that will take ISU to next level. But you gotta believe... Gene Smith believed. Gary Thompson believed. I think ADJP does too, and I'm glad, because I liked that brief smell of rarefied air, and I want more...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 10-24-2006 at 04:11 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Both JP and DM told us that they viewed this as a 'schedule of opportunity'. Fans polled on this site and others routinely predicted 7 or more wins. Many media outlets had ISU picked to finish second in the North.

I personally predicted 6-6 and got roasted for being pessimistic. Yes, this was supposed to be 'the year' in most fans eyes. That is because of the missed opportunities in '04 and '05.

URBCLONE