Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Unhappy The Face of Iowa State Athletics

The face most people associate to ISU athletics is a bit dirty right now - and that hurts us all.

There have been many other faces come through the Cyclone days, achieving far greater things than our current face. However, this current face is THE current face right now - one that soon may disappear.

And I wonder, if that does happen - where do we go from here? Obviously all will not be lost and it hopefully will be a good change - but this face - it must be replaced. We have a few "candidates", yet who will emerge?

Our current face has always been liked by all as a person and motivator - no one questions this person's abilities to rally the troops. People worshiped this face for what was accomplished under this person's guidance - something very few thought was possible.

However, now this face looks in the mirror and disappointment is reflected. Some of this isn't the fault of this person; however some of it does leave mud on that face. Mud this person would give a left arm if it were wiped clean and replaced with glitter. We'd all gladly wipe the mud and apply the glitter to this face if it were possible.

Cyclone fans don't dislike the face, they've grown to love the face of ISU athletics - it's like Mom's good home cooking - very comforting and warm. But now, face is producing ulcers instead of restful naps.

Who knows if this face of the Cyclone athletics will live for another day or will fade away. If the face remains, fans will surely be in angst and this face will not be one they want associated with ISU. If not, fans may be happy and good results may come down the road yet it will still be a painful day for ISU athletics.

Either way, Iowa State Cyclone athletics is in need of a new face - one that local fans will love, national media will praise and the opposition will shudder at the mere sight of the face.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 10-24-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 291

Re: The Face of Iowa State Athletics

No matter who the "New" face the same old problems will exist. No real recruiting base because the state of Iowa doesnt have enough division one prospects to compete in the big 12. Small budget and small stadium teams will always struggle in these football conferences.

Jim Walden said this morning that ISU is a very tough place to recruit and I agree. Unless they repeal the laws of finance and geography its always going to be a struggle for ISU in football.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Well said, but I think if I had to pick a face for ISU athletics it's generally been the basketball coach. Even if McCarney stays I think once basketball season starts and people get to know McDermott he'll become the face of the athletic department.

Last edited by CloneFan65; 10-24-2006 at 01:24 PM. Reason: don't want the quote
    "THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 291

Greg McDermott was a tremendous HIRE. Greg is going to take our basketball program to new heights and hopefully be a contender for a conference championship for many years to come.

Jamie got this one right in my humble opinion.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan65 View Post
    Well said, but I think if I had to pick a face for ISU athletics it's generally been the basketball coach. Even if McCarney stays I think once basketball season starts and people get to know McDermott he'll become the face of the athletic department.
    I'm sure that will be true once basketball season comes around... if ISU can get to a point where it is consistantly a strong contender, then definitely. It's tough, though, just because of all the emphasis that is put on the football program.

I will say, though, that I can't say I really understand necessarily why we can get people to want to come here to play basketball, but for football apparently nobody wants to? And these aren't all people from Iowa, either... where is it that the football program is missing something?

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    Greg McDermott was a tremendous HIRE. Greg is going to take our basketball program to new heights and hopefully be a contender for a conference championship for many years to come.

Jamie got this one right in my humble opinion.

Not to pick on you and just this particluar statement, but it is one that has been said many, many times on these threads.

Now i surely hope that his happens. I surely believe it CAN. But this what I want everyone to keep in mind.

We all seem very sure of ourselves that this is going to happen. Why not, thats what makes us good fans. But we get very, disappointed when it doesnt. Then you began to hear comments that are in fact the complete opposite of what is quoted above from the same individuals who said it. (Again not picking on you CyBobby, just an example).

The reason I bring this up is you have to look no further than a year ago from today. Fans, coaches, critics all raving on how ISU Football is on its way up. And why not, look at what were doing and where we are going. But as of today, October 24,2006, Dan McCarney is in the hottest seat from a fans perspective at retaining his job.

My view is a change is needed. I remember telling my buddy two years ago this very thing. He is a great coach who has brought us a long ways, but for whatever reason cant get us any further.

So I ask, be observant to your own comments as they may come back to haut you, good or bad.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,294
    Given: 635

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post

I will say, though, that I can't say I really understand necessarily why we can get people to want to come here to play basketball, but for football apparently nobody wants to? And these aren't all people from Iowa, either... where is it that the football program is missing something?
    In basketball, it takes two or three good players at a time. In football you need a whole lot more than that. And tradition wise, we have about six or seven years of tradition in football vs. about 20 years of being somewhere near the national spotlight in basketball.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 151

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The face most people associate to ISU athletics is a bit dirty right now - and that hurts us all.

There have been many other faces come through the Cyclone days, achieving far greater things than our current face. However, this current face is THE current face right now - one that soon may disappear.

And I wonder, if that does happen - where do we go from here? Obviously all will not be lost and it hopefully will be a good change - but this face - it must be replaced. We have a few "candidates", yet who will emerge?

Our current face has always been liked by all as a person and motivator - no one questions this person's abilities to rally the troops. People worshiped this face for what was accomplished under this person's guidance - something very few thought was possible.

However, now this face looks in the mirror and disappointment is reflected. Some of this isn't the fault of this person; however some of it does leave mud on that face. Mud this person would give a left arm if it were wiped clean and replaced with glitter. We'd all gladly wipe the mud and apply the glitter to this face if it were possible.

Cyclone fans don't dislike the face, they've grown to love the face of ISU athletics - it's like Mom's good home cooking - very comforting and warm. But now, face is producing ulcers instead of restful naps.

Who knows if this face of the Cyclone athletics will live for another day or will fade away. If the face remains, fans will surely be in angst and this face will not be one they want associated with ISU. If not, fans may be happy and good results may come down the road yet it will still be a painful day for ISU athletics.

Either way, Iowa State Cyclone athletics is in need of a new face - one that local fans will love, national media will praise and the opposition will shudder at the mere sight of the face.
    What happened to all of the "wait til the end of the season" talk? Is it just the frustration?

And I don't mean that as an "in your face" comment...I respect your posts and am serious when I ask that question.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    What happened to all of the "wait til the end of the season" talk? Is it just the frustration?

And I don't mean that as an "in your face" comment...I respect your posts and am serious when I ask that question.
    I was frustrated with everything after the first game. However, I gave the players and coaches the benefit of the doubt for weeks.

After this weekend, losing in a very silly way to a team we should have defeated - no more punches will be pulled. I've expressed that in other posts.

This thread is more dedicated to the face of ISU athletics - how he's become that face and respected by many...and then how he's lost that respect - how sad and unfortunate that is.