Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Bill Self to Okie St ??

Coaches almost never move to another job in the same conference. How many examples of this can anyone name? If they do, they move upward. This would be moving down even if it's for more money. I realize OkSt is his alma mater, but sometimes that can be the worst place a coach can go.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Self has said repeatedly there is no way it happens. And the way he has said it has almost been insulting to OSU. I'd be absolutely shocked if it happened.
    Bryce maybe so with how he's said it and handled it, but, i have a friend in stillwater and he's been telling me this about mid-season that word in stillwater is that Pickens wanted sutton gone and he's gone. Its also true that in Self's contract he has an out clause with no buy out and thats to Okie State....

Too many coincedences here.....

If you think that Bill Self or Roy Williams or Tim Floyd won't listen to a Brinks truck pulling up to his house. If pickens wants Self at Okie St it will get done.....It will not be a matter of money thats for sure and with the new complexes they're building, it will be easy for him to recruit......I know Kansas is one of the top jobs in the nation, but, these guys are usually about ego and money as much as winning....so to say there's no way it happens....i can't find one reason why it couldnt happen......Time will tell......

But, i will say this, if Self turns Okie St down, it will be interesting to see what "Big Fish" they go after......

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I love how many of you call Self a "good coach" while labeling McDermott a "great coach"! The more I see, hear, and watch Self and his teams...the more impressed I am with him (and I was pretty impressed from the beginning).

To call him a maintainer rather than a builder is ********. The guy appears to be a master recruiter, motivator, and coach. He has won everywhere he has coached...he built ORU into a winner; he built Tulsa into an Elite 8 team; he built tremendouse teams at Illinois and look where they are now with all of his talent gone; and he has improved KU in my opinion over what they had going with Roy Williams.

Why shouldn't the guy "take the money and run" if OSU is willing to make him the highest paid coach in college (any sport)...from what I hear? The job security as a CBB coach is not real great and you have to get it while you can. I don't blame these guys for capitalizing on their success...they would be fools to not do so.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonefarmer View Post
    Coaches almost never move to another job in the same conference. How many examples of this can anyone name? If they do, they move upward. This would be moving down even if it's for more money. I realize OkSt is his alma mater, but sometimes that can be the worst place a coach can go.
    Just off the top of my head...Houston Nutt just went from Arkansas to Ole Miss.

And Mike Montgomery just went from Stanford Asst. AD to Cal coach...that would be like us hiring Floyd to be Asst. AD and he leaves to go coach Iowa.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

It would be nice to get paid to go home. Just throwing it out there.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

[rant]I doubt Self will leave KU anytime soon, but I still hope he does go to Oklahoma State because the KU fans don't deserve him. The fans were bad-mouthing as recently as last week for never getting to the Final Four. But now that he's led KU past the hated Roy Williams and into the championship game, the fans act like they've been behind him all along.

Speaking of Williams, it's bad enough how the KU fans have treated him. The guy gave them 15 of the best years the program has ever seen, and when he leaves to return to his alma mater (and home state), they act like he's the biggest traitor since Benedict Arnold. The funny thing is, I've heard Kansas fans talk about what a selfish jerk Roy Williams was for leaving Lawrence to go to North Carolina, and in the very next breath mention how Williams wasn't all that good of a coach. What?! If he wasn't that good of a coach, why are you so upset that he left?

Why is it that Kansas fans hate Roy Williams so much, but have no problem with Larry Brown? What Brown did to Kansas was far worse than what Williams did. Within a matter of days after telling fans that he was staying at Kansas, Brown bolted for the NBA, leaving KU to take the heat on a string of recruiting violations that resulted in the program being put on probation. Are there any Jayhawk lurkers on this board that can explain why Williams is Public Enemy No. 1, but Brown generally get a free pass?

At least Oklahoma State fans would appreciate having a coach like Bill Self. They wouldn't act like they're entitled to whatever success he brings to the program, which is more than I can say for that fickle lot in Lawrence.[/rant]

BvK, you've got to quit making so much sense because I "must spread some rep around" before giving more to you.
    (Original quote by wonkadog.)

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,258
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Let's be hypothetical. Let's say you're the head coach at Kentucky, and everything is going well.

Then Iowa State calls you and says they are willing to pay you twice of what you are getting at Kentucky, and that you will be the highest paid coach ever in the NCAA in any sport. You wouldn't listen?

I give it a 0% chance that he does not listen to the offer. At the very least, he'll use it to get an extension from Kansas.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Just off the top of my head...Houston Nutt just went from Arkansas to Ole Miss.

And Mike Montgomery just went from Stanford Asst. AD to Cal coach...that would be like us hiring Floyd to be Asst. AD and he leaves to go coach Iowa.

Nutt was fired. So why not take the Ole Miss. job. MM wanted to coach, not AD. Argue but at least use a good arguement.

Thumbs Up

One more thought NUM1 why do you have to turn every thread into a hate Mac thread. We know you don't like him and probably never will. You don't have to remind every post.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CyRocket View Post
    One more thought NUM1 why do you have to turn every thread into a hate Mac thread. We know you don't like him and probably never will. You don't have to remind every post.
    At least it keeps him off Wes Eikmeyer's back.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,258
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyRocket View Post
    Nutt was fired. So why not take the Ole Miss. job. MM wanted to coach, not AD. Argue but at least use a good arguement.
    Nutt resigned. I don't know the situation enough to know if it was a real resignation or if it was a Sutton/McCarney resignation. But it has still happened before. Happened with Tommy Tuberville.

With that said, I can't think of it happening in basketball off of the top of my head.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

For the life long Cyclone fans wouldn't be an awesome dream of yours to play for the Cyclones and then turn around and Coach the Cyclones for the rest of your life making a butt-load of money and getting the respect of your family and friends in the state which you were born. I wonder if Bill Self is a life-long Cowboys fan??????? Kansas does not deserve Self he is a nice respected intelligent man and Kansas is full of self-centered jacka**es

Occam's Razor means 'With all things being equal , the simplest explanation/answer is normally the right one'

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

I think KU fans hold Larry Brown in such regard because he DID win an NCAA title for them in '88 - something Williams failed to do.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I wish mcdermott could get a couple mcdonalds all Americans every class. That would be nice

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Nutt resigned. I don't know the situation enough to know if it was a real resignation or if it was a Sutton/McCarney resignation. But it has still happened before. Happened with Tommy Tuberville.

With that said, I can't think of it happening in basketball off of the top of my head.

True but it was forced. He might have fought it but the Ole Miss job was there so he could get revenge on Arkansas. Alot of bad feelings according to people I know from there.