Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Sprint smartphone?

I swear this was talked about recently but the search function is failing me atm.

So I am finally jumping into the smart phone realm, and I am trying to decided between the HTC Touch and the HTC mogul.

I am leaning mogul now because I think I would like a actual keyboard compared to a touch screen. But if anyone has used either I would like some recommendations.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 43

Re: Sprint smartphone?

my girlfriend just recently got the mogul and loves it .... really likes the full keyboard/pad .... the touch is a good phone no doubt but very small for us men who have big hands .... the mogul is also a touch screen but personally i prefer to use the stylus .....

Winners' Never Quit and Quitters' Never Win

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

forgot to mention that i have the moto Q 9c but id say thats more a of starter smart phone ...

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 355
    Given: 251

I've had them all and here's my breakdown...

Q9c - ok for simple basic PIM and texting. It's a pretty decent phone but once you try the BlackJack II, you'll never consider the Q a worthy competitor.
    8703e - good but big and dated.
    Pearl 2 - great all around phone, decent predictive typing but just isn't perfect without the full qwerty.
    Curve - coming in a few weeks - just about the perfect balance of size, features and usefullness. The way you can customize profiles (vibrate/ring/etc for each individual kind of event) is great on all blackberrys and can't be easily duplicated on any other device. With the full qwerty, decent camera and GPS, the Curve is the king of smartphones.
    iPhone - obviously not on Sprint but a dang cool device that does it all and then some. Pricey but worth it if you need to be able to view actual webpages on the go. Opera Mini is decent on other devices but I still prefer Safari on the iPhone.
    BlackJack II - great overall phone, especially when WinMobo 6.1 gets released in May for it.
    Mogul - fun and all but WinMobo is just too bulky to handle without useful buttons, at least for my big fingers. It has the full keyboard but for one-handedness it's not the ideal phone.
    Touch - liked it but ultimately it's like a neutered Mogul - only touchscreen with no keyboard of anykind just doesn't work on the current incarnation of WinMobo.
    Pantech Duo - not on Sprint but a decent texters phone. Not much else other than the "neat" keyboard.
    Palm Centro - a good basic phone, can be expanded with some good Palm apps but let's face it, Palm has been dead for several years now and most of the great developers have shifted all their focus on BBerry, iPhone and WinMobo. You can still get upgraded software for Palm but it's lacking in so many ways.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

and thank your jeremy for making my 2 cents worth look like poop haha .... guess thats y ur the head man huh ....

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry - I'm a gadget geek. I'm in self rehab and trying to get better but unfortunately I've had a few too many one night stands with gadgets over the past couple years.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The big things I want the phone to do is receive e-mails(just signed up with a answering service so I don't have to take as many calls, but now I need my e-mail everywhere)
    Also since I will have it I want it to control remote desktops. From my looking around, it seems like I will probably use logmein.com for this.
    Will browse internet.
    And will also use it to manage appointments from outlook or google calender.

I have never sent a text message before, so won't be using that often. I am not sure how much typing I will do, but from my understanding it comes with a mobile version of excel, and if so I will likely make some spread sheets to use on making bids.

So all those things in mind which phone should I pick.

Edit:
    also for anyone who has sprint their new simply everything plan looks really nice.
    Sprint - Simply Everything Plan

Last edited by cytech; 04-05-2008 at 11:02 PM.

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

For those tasks I would highly recommend the Mogul. You are wanting to do some tasks that I don't think would be extremely fun without a touch screen and as somebody that has done a few more advanced tasks from the road, the Mogul would certainly be your best bet for the Sprint network.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I've had them all and here's my breakdown...

Q9c - ok for simple basic PIM and texting. It's a pretty decent phone but once you try the BlackJack II, you'll never consider the Q a worthy competitor.
    8703e - good but big and dated.
    Pearl 2 - great all around phone, decent predictive typing but just isn't perfect without the full qwerty.
    Curve - coming in a few weeks - just about the perfect balance of size, features and usefullness. The way you can customize profiles (vibrate/ring/etc for each individual kind of event) is great on all blackberrys and can't be easily duplicated on any other device. With the full qwerty, decent camera and GPS, the Curve is the king of smartphones.
    iPhone - obviously not on Sprint but a dang cool device that does it all and then some. Pricey but worth it if you need to be able to view actual webpages on the go. Opera Mini is decent on other devices but I still prefer Safari on the iPhone.
    BlackJack II - great overall phone, especially when WinMobo 6.1 gets released in May for it.
    Mogul - fun and all but WinMobo is just too bulky to handle without useful buttons, at least for my big fingers. It has the full keyboard but for one-handedness it's not the ideal phone.
    Touch - liked it but ultimately it's like a neutered Mogul - only touchscreen with no keyboard of anykind just doesn't work on the current incarnation of WinMobo.
    Pantech Duo - not on Sprint but a decent texters phone. Not much else other than the "neat" keyboard.
    Palm Centro - a good basic phone, can be expanded with some good Palm apps but let's face it, Palm has been dead for several years now and most of the great developers have shifted all their focus on BBerry, iPhone and WinMobo. You can still get upgraded software for Palm but it's lacking in so many ways.
    I'll stick up for Palm here a bit.

The palm Treo/Centro has arguably the best SMS interface of any phone.
    There isn't an application that exists for any of the other phones that doesn't exist for palm that I'm aware of.
    The PIM functions of the palm are second to NONE.

Honestly, my Treo 755p does everything the iPhone does and then some (BT Phone as Modem, tomtom, EVDO etc). The web browser sucks on it, but it sucks on pretty much every phone outside of the iPhone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    The big things I want the phone to do is receive e-mails(just signed up with a answering service so I don't have to take as many calls, but now I need my e-mail everywhere)
    Also since I will have it I want it to control remote desktops. From my looking around, it seems like I will probably use logmein.com for this.
    Will browse internet.
    And will also use it to manage appointments from outlook or google calender.

I have never sent a text message before, so won't be using that often. I am not sure how much typing I will do, but from my understanding it comes with a mobile version of excel, and if so I will likely make some spread sheets to use on making bids.

So all those things in mind which phone should I pick.

Edit:
    also for anyone who has sprint their new simply everything plan looks really nice.
    Sprint - Simply Everything Plan
    Browing leads to CF
    CF leads to posting
    Posting requires typing

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good that is what I was leaning towards too. Can't really beat the price either at $199.99 right now with new contract. Which is no big deal to me I have had sprint for almost 11 years now.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Browing leads to CF
    CF leads to posting
    Posting requires typing
    to be honest .... the first website i added to my phone browser favorites was CF ..... very addicting ...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Browing leads to CF
    CF leads to posting
    Posting requires typing
    It's funny cause it's true.....

Also getting weather updates from weather.com or somewhere where I can get radar maps, will get used alot.

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I'll stick up for Palm here a bit.

The palm Treo/Centro has arguably the best SMS interface of any phone.
    There isn't an application that exists for any of the other phones that doesn't exist for palm that I'm aware of.
    The PIM functions of the palm are second to NONE.

Honestly, my Treo 755p does everything the iPhone does and then some (BT Phone as Modem, tomtom, EVDO etc). The web browser sucks on it, but it sucks on pretty much every phone outside of the iPhone.
    I like Palm as well, I've always wished they would pull out that magical device for a long time now. Some of my favorite mobile apps are Palm centric (Agendus, Docs to Go, etc) but all the good ones have been ported to other platforms as well. I love the ease of the Palm OS and you are correct the PIM functions are the best on possibly any platform, although I think the iPhone has the potential if some of the early indications of alpha apps from the new SDK are any indication.

One thing is for certain, it's nice to finally have some competition and new fresh blood in the market-place as it will make the future all the more exciting, fun and productive.

Rookie
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 23

Hey Cytech, I work at Sprint and we just came out with a new smartphone...the Samsung Instinct...it won best of show at the CTIA Wireless trade show last week. It's supposed to be a pretty kick butt phone with more and better features than the iPhone.

You may want to check that out...

As far as the HTC phones go there's a guy at work who has the Touch and really likes it...and HTC makes good phones so I don't think you could go wrong with either one.