Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

Polk County homeowners...

...get out your checkbooks, the county needs more of your hard earned money. This is from the Des Moines Register.com

2 sides debate timing of plan for courthouse | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Similar to the 'Yes to Destiny' plan that failed the actual tax increase is not that much. If the 'Yes to Destiny' would have passed they would have been trying to pass this too. Once again, real hard working people are being nickeled and dimed, not by big oil, but by their local, state and national representatives.

I do not know about you all but I am voting an emphatic NO on every chance I can regarding tax increases. I am even going to argue every assessment roll I get from now on. I pay way too much in taxes and I think it is time to reign in spending.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 48

Re: Polk County homeowners...

No no no, you should be happy you are a homeowner. If you have a house you must be one of the rich "elite" types, so you sould be forced you pay your fair share, afterall you are more likely to use courthouse services right?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,175
    Given: 1,033

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    ...get out your checkbooks, the county needs more of your hard earned money. This is from the Des Moines Register.com

2 sides debate timing of plan for courthouse | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Similar to the 'Yes to Destiny' plan that failed the actual tax increase is not that much. If the 'Yes to Destiny' would have passed they would have been trying to pass this too. Once again, real hard working people are being nickeled and dimed, not by big oil, but by their local, state and national representatives.

I do not know about you all but I am voting an emphatic NO on every chance I can regarding tax increases. I am even going to argue every assessment roll I get from now on. I pay way too much in taxes and I think it is time to reign in spending.
    I agree very much with your sentiments. How about someone tries to cut spending once instead of perpetually raising taxes? I am on board with the no vote. From here on out, my answer is a standard no unless spending cuts are included. I also think arguing assessements is a great idea. It may not do much, but any way we can make it a pain in the *** for them is a good thing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 7

Yes and if you are ankeny you are getting an increase from the city and the schools as well. It just keeps coming and coming.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

While I'm not advocating for this particular issue, or any tax increase generally. And govt is surely not always fiscally responsible. But, I am always amazed at how little people understand about the costs of running a city (or county, or state).

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I also think arguing assessements is a great idea. It may not do much, but any way we can make it a pain in the *** for them is a good thing.
    Wow, this is mature. You better have some good evidence why your assessment needs to be lowered. Otherwise you're just wasting county employee time...and taxpayer money...hmmm....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by mapnerd View Post
    Wow, this is mature. You better have some good evidence why your assessment needs to be lowered. Otherwise you're just wasting county employee time...and taxpayer money...hmmm....
    I live in a flood zone and they seem to charge us as if we do not. I have to shell out $1000/ yr for flood insurance.

If I do not stand up for my right to keep my money that I earned, who will? Surely not any level of government. They will take every penny they can get and then some.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

I live in a flood zone and they seem to charge us as if we do not. I have to shell out $1000/ yr for flood insurance.

If I do not stand up for my right to keep my money that I earned, who will? Surely not any level of government. They will take every penny they can get and then some.
    Move from the flood zone. Simple...

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 443
    Given: 648

When I worked for Wells Fargo, we had people who had to pay wind, flood, and quake (optional) insurance. A lot of them were paying over $10K a year. The only way out of paying flood insurance is to just pay off your loan.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 48

As someone who just wrote a check for 1/3rd of what I made last year to the government, I should stay out of tax discussions right now because my ulcers will make me say bad things about politicians!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    While I'm not advocating for this particular issue, or any tax increase generally. And govt is surely not always fiscally responsible. But, I am always amazed at how little people understand about the costs of running a city (or county, or state).
    It does cost a lot but there is alot of money wasted. How many times do you see things and say that is a waste of my tax money? Vote no to any tax increase they will get your money somehow but voting no slows them down. If I spend too much money I cannot just go ask for more, why can the goverment? They need a ballanced budget and control thier spending increases.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

What I am the most frustrated with is how Polk county and the city of Des Moines choses to spend the money. They built Wells Fargo arena and instead of doing something like getting some hotels and business in that area so it can draw something like a 1st and 2nd round of the men's NCAA tourney they try to pass something like project Destiny. We spent all that money on a facility that hasn't really drawn more than some concerts basically and instead of putting our eggs in that basket that could really pay out if they can get the events they had hoped for when it was built we are worried about bike trails and a new courthouse and such that will just keep eating up money and not bring some back in return.

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    What I am the most frustrated with is how Polk county and the city of Des Moines choses to spend the money. They built Wells Fargo arena and instead of doing something like getting some hotels and business in that area so it can draw something like a 1st and 2nd round of the men's NCAA tourney they try to pass something like project Destiny. We spent all that money on a facility that hasn't really drawn more than some concerts basically and instead of putting our eggs in that basket that could really pay out if they can get the events they had hoped for when it was built we are worried about bike trails and a new courthouse and such that will just keep eating up money and not bring some back in return.
    Wells Fargo is suppose to bring things to DSM it has never had and bring money to the DSM economy. What it is doing is taking things away from Ames and Hilton. What has it brought that has never been in central Iowa? A Hockey team that is losing its ***. A Basketball team that does ok, but people are not coming from all over to see them play. Way overpriced concerts that dont draw well (maybe with lower ticket prices more people would come see the shows thus bring more people to the area).

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

The taking things from Hilton is not necessarily true. Some of the bigger concerts Ames would never have got anyways because Hilton is not big enough plus Des Moines also has to compete for things with the Qwest Center and Sprint Center that has even more seating. My biggest frustration is they spent all that money to build the arena and are not making a better effort to improve the area around it to make it more attractive to hold events. I don't care what they say about the Des Moines area having enough hotel rooms, most of those are in West Des Moines which is inconveinent. If you've ever been around the Sprint and Qwest centers you'd know there is plenty of hotel rooms within walking distance as well as plenty of resturaunts and bars and such for entertainment as well. Des Moines doesn't come close to what those 2 places have to offer around the arena right now.

Go Cubs Go!

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    What has it brought that has never been in central Iowa? A Hockey team that is losing its ***. A Basketball team that does ok, but people are not coming from all over to see them play. Way overpriced concerts that dont draw well (maybe with lower ticket prices more people would come see the shows thus bring more people to the area).
    Well, the hockey team is leaving (albeit to be replaced by another), the basketball team is what it is and they are bringing the Barnstormers back.

However, you can not blame ticket prices for concerts on WFA. Those are set by concert promoters. The reason artists like Bon Jovi and Billy Joel charge so much for their tickets is because THEY CAN and people will pay it. Sorry, you can't blame the arena for the ticket prices.

I also don't buy the argument that WFA is taking events away from Hilton and Ames. It's called being competitive. If Hilton wanted Billy Joel for example, they should have tried to outbid WFA for him. They have just as much chance to get these shows as Des Moines does. They still do get concerts. They just have to be more competitive and aggressive.

WFA was never meant to be the cash cow savior of Des Moines and Polk County. It was meant as an entertainment venue to bring concerts, sporting events and conventions in that would attract outside residents with the hope that they would spend their money here. We saw this happen with the NCAA tournament and with several other events. The arena is almost 4 years old. It'll be 10 years before we can see if the arena has truly made an impact.

I believed in Gene Chizik and all I got was this lousy limited-edition commemorative coin.