Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 55

Heavy Handed?

I think this next year is either going to make or break Mr. Pollard. In the couple years that he's been at ISU, he's definitely had a heavy hand. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the next two years of ISU football with Chizik at the helm. The program definitely went a little stagnant the last two years under McCarney. Still, it's hard to force the resignation of the coach who took us to more post season success than anyone prior. Of course this isn't the only case of Jamie exerting his will.

2. Bobby Douglas's (more or less) forced resignation. I don't remember Douglas's quote after his resignation, but I'm pretty sure he didn't seem too happy about it. How do you force the resignation of a highly successful (and Olympic caliber) coach? Luckily for Pollard, he got the one guy who could replace Douglas. Cael's coaching will continue to improve as he gains experience.

3. Why was Wayne Morgan fired? D1 scheduling scandal(completely overblown by CBS Sports) aside, the only reason that Morgan was fired appears to be his supposed incompatibility with ISU's long term goals. Street ball or not, it was relatively effective being that Morgan lead us to the NIT and the 2nd round of the NCAAs his first two years. Unfortunately, ISU basketball is hard to watch right now. McDermott needs to show a much improved team in his 3rd year. Hopefully he'll be able to retain enough players to do so.

4. Logo change? I still vomit a little in my mouth every time I think about how this actually occurred and was implemented. We use a similar technique at work when we want the client to go with a certain design. (You slap up two dogs to make the third look like a great design.) Heaven forbid we were given three quality options...

Of course, with time, I've stopped wincing every time I look at the new logo. Dare I say, I might actually be starting to like it. Just don't start chanting I-State for fear that I'll regress. Gravitas or not, at least it doesn't look like a minor league baseball team logo anymore...

5. Tickets? I'm glad that we're starting to pump some money into the program, but I hope this doesn't create empty seats... 'nuff said.

I have to give Mr. Pollard credit. It takes a lot to put yourself out on the line as much as he has. Hopefully it will work out for everyone. As for me, I'll reserve my final judgment until the close of next year's Men's basketball season. At that point, I'll either have the kool-aid lip, or I'll be calling for a change.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

Re: Heavy Handed?

it was so much more fun to watch wayne morgans teams than it is to watch mcdermotts teams, i want mcdermott to get guys like stinson,blalock, and clark. i wish mcdermott would recruit a point guard from new york, cause there is always so much talent out of ny, like johnny flynn, levance fields, russel robinson, and a lot others. morgan always seemed to recruit very well on the east coast, and that showed with blalock, stinson, and clark, i can't wait till we are good in basketball and football again

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

JP is a fearless leader. Leaders make decisions that aren't always appreciated.

I'm not sure heavy handed is the right word, but aggressive certainly is.

I've seen Athletic directors cycle through this school since Max Urich. I think I admire JP more then any of the others I've seen other then perhaps Gene Smith.

What I like most about the guy is that's he's approachable. Every time I send him a personal note or e-mail I get a fairly prompt response back. He's brutally honest and works his butt off. He's detail oriented and looks ahead and plans. In an hour I bet JP could give you a list of the strenths and weaknesses of each one our athletic programs with a detailed budget projection and where he wants to be in 5 years.

Now he's given people plenty of bullets to shoot at him with as your list of items shows, but I don't think he worries about that. He does what he thinks is right for the long term health of the program period.

We won't know for a long time what decisions were good and what weren't , but I think we're going to miss this guy when he finally moves on.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 553

I just like the fact that we aren't trying to move up by doing the same old thing year after year.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedefender View Post
    it was so much more fun to watch wayne morgans teams than it is to watch mcdermotts teams, i want mcdermott to get guys like stinson,blalock, and clark. i wish mcdermott would recruit a point guard from new york, cause there is always so much talent out of ny, like johnny flynn, levance fields, russel robinson, and a lot others. morgan always seemed to recruit very well on the east coast, and that showed with blalock, stinson, and clark, i can't wait till we are good in basketball and football again
    Wayne was one of the few coaches we had who pulled people out of New York. It makes sense since he lived there so long.

I saw some very fun to watch McDermott teams when he was up at UNI. More up tempo and good defense. It will never be a run and gun team like Johnny Orr and Wayne Morgans teams were. It will look more like a Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy type team.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Wayne was one of the few coaches we had who pulled people out of New York. It makes sense since he lived there so long.

I saw some very fun to watch McDermott teams when he was up at UNI. More up tempo and good defense. It will never be a run and gun team like Johnny Orr and Wayne Morgans teams were. It will look more like a Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy type team.
    Floyd had some boring games I must say.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 528

I am more concerned about recruiting big men. AT came to us. CB was lined up initially by Wayne. Jiri was here. Hamilton is the first big man recruit in two years?

Do Sadler has all 13 scholarships filled at UNL, yet he just visited five states looking for a big man. He wants to win bad enough that he will replace his low man on the totem pole. His contract was just extended to six years out at $800k a year.

I know everyone is waiting for 4th year breakthru. How about this scenario?

06-7 - a wash
    07-08 - a wash
    08-09 - CBI
    09-10 - NIT, Harrison arrives
    10-11 - NCAA
    11-12 Sweet 16
    12-14 Great Eight

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I dont think Coach Mac's teams will end up with a style like any of the coaches mentioned above.

He will play hard D. He will shoot a ton of 3s.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    He will play hard D. He will shoot a ton of 3s.
    This is what scares the crap out of me... Teams that do this wear down towards the end of the year (much like his UNI teams). They can suprise teams early but when the legs get tired and the shots stop falling they hit a wall...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 528

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    This is what scares the crap out of me... Teams that do this wear down towards the end of the year (much like his UNI teams). They can suprise teams early but when the legs get tired and the shots stop falling they hit a wall...

UNI ran out of gas this year too.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post

One more reason to have more than 2-3 shooters.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

I've been drinking and only read the first post.

Basically, what it comes down to is that is change really going to make the athletic department that much worse? Our programs aren't anything to write home about. Drastic changes may not work, but why not ******* try and hit a home run? It may not work, but at least we're going up to the plate with a plan in mind and a goal to hit one out of the ****in park.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedefender View Post
    it was so much more fun to watch wayne morgans teams than it is to watch mcdermotts teams, i want mcdermott to get guys like stinson,blalock, and clark.
    I don't think McDermott can recruit guys like Stinson and Blaylock and I don't think guys like that would play for him. But that's okay -- for all their athletic ability, Stinson and Blaylock never accomplished anything for ISU. I'll take guys like Fred Hoiberg, Stevie Johnson, and Jake Sullivan -- who work hard and get the most out of their ability -- over Stinson and Blaylock every day of the week. And I think those are the types of players McDermott wants and can recruit. He went the JUCO route his first year because the cupboard was so bare -- he probably felt he had no choice -- but it didn't pay off and in reality it cost him an entire season. I agree with Pollard that the fair thing is to consider 2008-2009 to be McDermott's second season at ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 175

He is doing what is needed to improve things, make more money, and win. His main 2 programs just have to get it done. There are other programs on campus that are doing well under JP.

The greatest things he has done are growing the fan base, made it easy for fans to come back, make fan feel wanted, made it easy to be an ISU fan, make ISU more visual, put the spotlight on ISU, sold a ton of ISU gear, and stuck his middle finger up at Iowa. He has the coaches in place that can win and will win. His coaches are good, doing stuff the right way, are good people, and most importantly his people and get along with him.

Will the wins come in FB and mens BB, who knows but there is no reason to think they wont. Lets not forget JP has a lot at stake here, if it works he will be able to AD anywhere, if it doesnt work he will be activity bus driver for Gilbert HS.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

I really think Mac wants a Bo Ryan type team. More better shots than the other team, and this last year we only had two shots, a post move, or a 3 ball.