Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 397

Terrorist Threats

Intelligence officers call al Qaeda nuclear threat real (4/2/08) -- www.GovernmentExecutive.com

Intelligence officers call al Qaeda nuclear threat real

By Michael Posner CongressDaily April 2, 2008

Two high-level government intelligence experts testified Wednesday that al Qaeda is intent on attacking the United States with a nuclear weapon but has not developed a nuclear device.
    In a hearing, Charles Allen, chief intelligence officer for the Homeland Security Department, said there is no doubt that al Qaeda wants a nuclear weapon. But, he told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, "I do not believe that any terrorist organization currently has developed a nuclear device." He said, however, that this capability "could change drastically" with the recruitment of people with knowledge of nuclear materials and design.
    His testimony was buttressed by Rolf Mowatt-Larssen, director of the office of intelligence and counterintelligence of the Energy Department. Before Sept. 11, 2001, he said, many in the intelligence community believed it was too hard for terrorists to develop a nuclear bomb.
    "We should not, however, assume that the technology of a nuclear weapon is beyond the capability of a terrorist group," Mowatt-Larssen said. "A terrorist group needs only to produce a nuclear yield once to change history."
    Both experts plan to testify before the committee later Wednesday to discuss classified material. "We do not yet know when and where they intend to strike us next," Mowatt-Larssen testified, "but past experience strongly suggests that they are seeking an attack more spectacular than 9/11."
    Mowatt-Larssen said a global effort must be undertaken to get nuclear materials off the black market and stop global trafficking in them. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Chairman Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., summed up the testimony of both men as sobering.
    Matthew Bunn, a nuclear exert at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard University, said that nuclear stockpile security in Russia "has improved dramatically in the past 15 years" but called for more global nuclear security. He too warned of the threat from a terrorist group.
    "This is a real danger," he said. Homeland Security Department's Allen said any terrorist nuclear bomb would lack the sophistication of one developed by a country and be of unknown yield. But, he warned, "A nuclear device of any yield could produce thousands of casualties, significant damage to the infrastructure and render large areas uninhabitable."
    Similarly, Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs ranking member Susan Collins of Maine supported that assessment, saying that a 10-kiloton nuclear device in Manhattan's Times Square at noon would result immediately in the loss of half a million lives.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,447

Re: Terrorist Threats

Fantastic...<sigh>

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 432

It sucks. Because if they do this we cant retaliate on some nation or another because these terrorists dont have a country or organization you can see and punish. Freaking cowards.

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,447

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    It sucks. Because if they do this we cant retaliate on some nation or another because these terrorists dont have a country or organization you can see and punish. Freaking cowards.
    Not to mention the easy access to this country. It's amazing that we try to spy on our own citizens yet we leave our borders and ports wide open...Someone explain that one to me.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I am guessing the next big terrorist attack will be by an American, just always seems to work that way...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Not to mention the easy access to this country. It's amazing that we try to spy on our own citizens yet we leave our borders and ports wide open...Someone explain that one to me.
    if you're not doing anything wrong, you should have nothing to worry about.

that was sarcasm.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 23

This isn't exactly breaking news. Terrorists have been trying to secure nuclear weapons for years. They don't yet have the support structure to build their own, but as the testimony states, we should not assume they can't get there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 390

I would say the big worry (as far as nuclear weapons are concerned) is the fact that OBL and Al-Qaida has regrouped in Pakistan - a country with plenty of political turmoil, a decent chunk of the population that is sympathetic to their cause, and an active nuclear weapons program with working nuclear weapons and material. If you would have told me 6 years ago that OBL would still be alive today and that Al-Qaida woudl have established another safe haven, I wouldn't have believed it.

I do assume though that our gov't and intelligence services are all over Pakistan and their nuclear material, keeping that safe and away from AQ or AQ sympathizers has to be the top priority for us and Pakistan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,600
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 4

For those ofyou who think such a thing can't happen. Think how open our southern border is and read this story:

Colombia seizes uranium from leftist guerrillas | International | Reuters

Columbia seized at least 66 pounds of uranium from leftist guerrillas. That would make one heck of a dirty bomb. I would not want to be anywhere near that crap...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

I have a feeling there would be hell to pay if someone used nuclear force against anyone in the world. The possibility is very real, and all those radical morons want is someone to blow them off the planet so they go down as martyrs...frankly, I have no real problem with someone blowing half of the Middle East off the planet.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 432

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I have no real problem with someone blowing half of the Middle East off the planet.

Well if someone did that, then it will become open season for world war and eventual erradication of life on earth.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 566
    Given: 1,099

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I have a feeling there would be hell to pay if someone used nuclear force against anyone in the world. The possibility is very real, and all those radical morons want is someone to blow them off the planet so they go down as martyrs...frankly, I have no real problem with someone blowing half of the Middle East off the planet.

The real problem with retaliation (on a nuclear level), is where/who? I don't see us nor want to retaliate with nukes for one slipping into an being used in the USA.

What is the best response ....? find out where the nuke material came from (easy to find out), and force that country to give up all nuclear power, nuclear weapons and anything else that would glow. From force to the UN to every nation putting down the heavy hand... even if it is Russia.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

World War III could very well be 100% religious. It will be Christian based countries vs Muslim based. Think about a nuclear attack on either the US, Russia, or China, think about what the retaliation would be, SCARY!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post

The real problem with retaliation (on a nuclear level), is where/who? I don't see us nor want to retaliate with nukes for one slipping into an being used in the USA.

What is the best response ....? find out where the nuke material came from (easy to find out), and force that country to give up all nuclear power, nuclear weapons and anything else that would glow. From force to the UN to every nation putting down the heavy hand... even if it is Russia.

-keep
    Unfortunately, the more I read into it, the more I think World War III is inevitable. We have too many morons in the world who have weapons which are far too powerful. Do I want to see nuclear war? For God's sake no! Unfortunately, I think before all is said and done, some idiot is going to use one nuclear bomb, which is going to lead to some other moron using one. I'm not even necessarily saying the US, China, or Russia would have to be involved for it to get ugly. If OSB has the resources and uses one anywhere in the world, I can see some nutcase like Kim Jong Il feeling the urge to get involved and using one somewhere.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    World War III could very well be 100% religious.
    Wars always boil down to money... religion is just a tool used to motivate.