Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

No single-game tickets for Huskers at ISU

No big surprise here. The article is a little misleading as it states no single-game tickets when it should state only hillside tickets and season tickets. It will be intresting to see if more season tickets are sold. I agree with the article when it says that more Husker fans will buy tickets than UI fans. $60 for hillside. Ouch!

LINK

No single-game tickets for Huskers at ISU

By Eric Petersen
    For The Gazette

Jamie Pollard ISU AD

AMES — The hottest ticket on Iowa State's 2008 home football schedule once again is going to come at a steep price.

As it did for last year's game with Iowa at Jack Trice Stadium, ISU is not offering single-game stadium seating for next season's Oct. 18 game against Big 12 Conference rival Nebraska.

"If you want to sit in a seat you have to buy a season ticket," said ISU senior associate athletics director Steve Malchow. "You can't afford to let your fans cherry pick one game. You have to sell season tickets. (Athletic departments) can't live off one game."

Hillside tickets for the game with the Huskers, however, will be available at a cost of $60.

Those were not offered for the Iowa game last season as Cyclone officials decided on the most effective way to increase their season-ticket numbers. Only people who purchased tickets to every home game passed through the gates.

ISU sold a school-record 36,610 season tickets, a gamble Athletics Director Jamie Pollard and his staff hope pays off again this fall.

Attendance for ISU-Nebraska games in Ames have topped 50,000 three of the last four years the teams have played, including the second-highest total in school history in 2006 when 55,338 attended.

Some fans — mostly those who wear black and gold — were angered over Pollard's decision not to offer single-game seats for what is annually the state's most anticipated football game.

"Some people have the wrong idea of why we did that," Malchow said. "We wanted to increase our season ticket base. Period ... We were successful in that regard.

"Our concept was to leverage the biggest ticket draw we had and that was the Iowa game. Few Cornhusker fans will buy season tickets, like few Iowa fans bought season tickets last year."

Nebraska is guaranteed an allotment of 4,000 tickets it sells to its fans. Those will cost Husker faithful $90, same as Iowa fans paid last season for their tickets.

Tickets to ISU's six home games in '08 cost $350 and may include a mandatory donation to the National Cyclone Club depending on the seat location. Spots in the corners of the upper deck, end zones and hillside are not required to make donations.

Single-game tickets for non-conference games against Division I-AA South Dakota State and Kent State are $40 for seats and $20 on the hillside. The cost jumps to $60 for reserve seats and $30 for hillsides for Big 12 games against Texas A&M, Kansas and Missouri.

Fans may purchase those starting Aug. 1.

ISU opens its season Thursday, Aug. 28, against South Dakota State.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 58

Re: No single-game tickets for Huskers at ISU

I'm glad JP is holding his ground despite all the negative press last year. When you are in his shoes you have to take advantage of EVERY opporutnity. At least the Husker fans will open their checkbooks, buy their tickets, and then go back to the pray in the temple that Tom Osborn built. We won't have to liste to them **** and moan for two years like we did EIU fans.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

This is getting old. One time to put people on notice is one thing, but do we really think ISU fans are going to buy a season ticket just to go to the NU game? No, they are not going to. How about worrying about the product for a bit, and quit trying to sock it to us at every turn. I have some good friends who are NU fans, and I had a good time taking them to the game 2 years ago, I would love to be able to do that again, but for these guys, they are NOT ISU fans, so they are not going to pay $350 to go to that one game.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

The thing is that other schools have done this to Nebraska before (like Wake Forest), so we're just another bump in the road. Iowa fans think they are an elite program, and then complain about getting the elite program treatment. Can't have it both ways.

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    This is getting old. One time to put people on notice is one thing, but do we really think ISU fans are going to buy a season ticket just to go to the NU game? No, they are not going to. How about worrying about the product for a bit, and quit trying to sock it to us at every turn. I have some good friends who are NU fans, and I had a good time taking them to the game 2 years ago, I would love to be able to do that again, but for these guys, they are NOT ISU fans, so they are not going to pay $350 to go to that one game.
    They don't have to, they can pay $60 for hillside and then move into a seat once the game starts. If they don't want to see their dream coach in his inaugural season in person at $60 for that game, they don't have to, but when NU played the Trojans at the Colesium, over 10,000 Huskers payed for USC season tickets just to see the game. I know this isn't the same, but the price isn't that unreasonable in comparison. I paid $65 a ticket to go see ISU in Lincoln last year, and every seat in that stadium sucks because you are packed in there like sardines with your knees touching the backs of the people in front of you, those behind you in yours, and you only get allotted enough width to plant a half a butt cheek if your lucky enough to be under 100 lbs, otherwise you might as well stand.

Last edited by bfross; 04-03-2008 at 07:27 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I wonder if the had a plan in place that said if we dont have X amount of renewals by April 1 then we dont sell any single game tickets for kNU but if we have X sold then we can sell only hillside single games and if we really do good then we will sell single game tickets to all home games.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 14

This gamble worked last year with Iowa, and you would be naive to not think they would try it again with Nebraska this year. It is a great plan, and it pays off. I couldn't care less about ISU fans not being able to get tickets for their NU buddies to tag along to this game. This ticket plan is good for the university.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 301

Well I already know I can't make it to that game (wedding) so my ticket can be sold off when the time comes.

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    This gamble worked last year with Iowa, and you would be naive to not think they would try it again with Nebraska this year. It is a great plan, and it pays off. I couldn't care less about ISU fans not being able to get tickets for their NU buddies to tag along to this game. This ticket plan is good for the university.
    I think Marketing Plan is more applicable than a gamble, otherwise I agree 100%. It is about ISU, not the visiting team!

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'll say the same thing I said before last season. Start winning football games and the sale of season tickets will take care of itself. In the meantime, I suppose Pollard is doing what he can, within his control, to keep the athletic department above water.

Walk On
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    Well I already know I can't make it to that game (wedding) so my ticket can be sold off when the time comes.

I hear ya, damn weddings! An ISU couple no less, like we'll be paying any attention when they exchange vows...

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    They don't have to, they can pay $60 for hillside and then move into a seat once the game starts.
    If I got to my seat and discovered a Husker fan sitting in it with a hillside ticket, things would get ugly in a hurry. Too many cheap ISU fans already do the same thing, please don't encourage the visiting fans to do it too.

IMO, the sooner we eliminate hillside seating altogether, the better.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 43

Is anyone really shocked? Last year we knew they were going to do it again this year for the Nebraska game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Is anyone really shocked? Last year we knew they were going to do it again this year for the Nebraska game.
    Yeah, I really hope this didn't come as a shock to anyone. Everyone should have seen this coming a mile away. The part that shocks me is that he is actually allowing them to buy single game hillside tickets for this game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Could they use a bigger picture of Pollard for this article.