Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Soriano

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 20,927, Level: 44
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,397
    Points
    20,927
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

    Soriano

    After watching Soriano last year, in person this spring, and on TV for the 1st two games this year, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Jim Hendry has stuck the Cubs with one of the worst contracts in baseball. He's 32 years old, has 7 years left on his no-trade clause contract, and really doesn't have a position on a NL team because his defense is so bad. He'll produce offensively for a few more years, if he stays healthy which is questionable, but the last half of his contract could be very ugly. Once his power is gone, he'll really have nothing left to contribute since his speed will have left him and he's always had a relatively poor OBP.

    As a Cubs fan I hope I'm wrong, but Hendry may have left the new Cubs owner a big fat albatross.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 86,637, Level: 91
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,099
    Points
    86,637
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Soriano

    Now now. It's game 2 of a long season. He was Mr. September last year.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 44,627, Level: 65
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,627
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Soriano

    It's game two, but he's not talking about just this year. He's talking about what most baseball fans were saying after the Cubs gave him that long of a deal.

    Look at the bright side. At least they didn't sign Barry Zito.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,927, Level: 44
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,397
    Points
    20,927
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Now now. It's game 2 of a long season. He was Mr. September last year.
    And then didn't show up for the first round of the playoffs. 2-14. It's not this season I'm worried about so much. It's the 2011-2014 seasons when he's still on the payroll.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 119,266, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    A-town Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Huxley
    Posts
    5,555
    Points
    119,266
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 171

    Re: Soriano

    The worst contract in baseball is easily Barry Zito in San Fransisco.



    “One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

    "I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 47,968, Level: 67
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    sodakjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,799
    Points
    47,968
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    After watching Soriano last year, in person this spring, and on TV for the 1st two games this year, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Jim Hendry has stuck the Cubs with one of the worst contracts in baseball. He's 32 years old, has 7 years left on his no-trade clause contract, and really doesn't have a position on a NL team because his defense is so bad. He'll produce offensively for a few more years, if he stays healthy which is questionable, but the last half of his contract could be very ugly. Once his power is gone, he'll really have nothing left to contribute since his speed will have left him and he's always had a relatively poor OBP.

    As a Cubs fan I hope I'm wrong, but Hendry may have left the new Cubs owner a big fat albatross.
    I'm pretty sure our own organization has had worse contracts than this one. How about those awesome contracts we had going for Wood and Prior?

    Soriano got the money he deserved. The length of the contract is probably too long, but there's no way it is "one of the worst contracts in baseball." Soriano went 40/40, and on one of the worst teams in the Major Leagues, got almost 100RBIs as a leadoff hitter.

    The bottom line is that Soriano will help the Cubs be a better team for the next 3-4 years, and while he'll be ballooning the payroll later, that's what it took to get him now. You want to win now? You pay for it later.

    Oh, and one more thing. Do you really think the guy who led the league in outfield assists "has no place on an NL team?" You've got to be kidding.


    Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

    And thank you Stumpy for this:

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 86,637, Level: 91
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,099
    Points
    86,637
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    And then didn't show up for the first round of the playoffs. 2-14. It's not this season I'm worried about so much. It's the 2011-2014 seasons when he's still on the payroll.
    They'll trade him before then if he gets that bad. I still think it's a better contract then they had with Sammy Sosa at the end.

    Most players seem to play well into their late 30's. After 38 it get's more dicey, but his contract will be about up then.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 44,627, Level: 65
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,627
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    They'll trade him before then if he gets that bad.
    And if they trade him because he gets bad, they'll have to eat the majority of the contract.



  9. #9
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    The worst contract in baseball is easily Barry Zito in San Fransisco.
    Worst contract would have to either go to Barry or his former teammate Eric Chavez. The guy they gave the $ to instead of Giambi or Tejada??



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 86,637, Level: 91
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,099
    Points
    86,637
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    And if they trade him because he gets bad, they'll have to eat the majority of the contract.
    True, but at this point the Cubs have a lot of money. They always have some of the largest crowds in the major leagues and they certainly don't have a new stadium to pay for.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 858,279, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,328
    Points
    858,279
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,454
    Given: 1,245

    Re: Soriano

    Is this the first "The sky is falling" thread for us Cub fans? It's probably time, since we're on pace for 0-162!!!!!!


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 20,927, Level: 44
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,397
    Points
    20,927
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    I'm pretty sure our own organization has had worse contracts than this one. How about those awesome contracts we had going for Wood and Prior?

    Soriano got the money he deserved. The length of the contract is probably too long, but there's no way it is "one of the worst contracts in baseball." Soriano went 40/40, and on one of the worst teams in the Major Leagues, got almost 100RBIs as a leadoff hitter.

    The bottom line is that Soriano will help the Cubs be a better team for the next 3-4 years, and while he'll be ballooning the payroll later, that's what it took to get him now. You want to win now? You pay for it later.

    Oh, and one more thing. Do you really think the guy who led the league in outfield assists "has no place on an NL team?" You've got to be kidding.
    Zito's contract is certainly worse, but let's get the facts straight. Kerry Wood signed one big contract for 2004-2006 and the rest of his career has been 1 year deals. Mark Prior signed a 5 year deal in 2002 for a total of $10M. I hardly think that was a bad deal, even for the time. He made $650,000 in 2003 leading the Cubs to the NLCS. A bargain in my book. Those contracts were nothing compared to 8 years and $136M for a 31 year old outfielder who had already peaked. Those Soriano numbers are history. Ya, he probably did lead the league in assists because he's throws out a lot of runners at 2nd and 3rd when he's misplayed the ball in LF. His .980 fielding percentage was even worse than Jacque Jones and only 4 hundredths better than Barry Bonds. The league leader had 10 errors; he had six. He's barely a credible defender now, and yes in a few years he won't have a position besides DH which isn't an option.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 20,927, Level: 44
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,397
    Points
    20,927
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    And if they trade him because he gets bad, they'll have to eat the majority of the contract.
    That's if they can trade him. No-trade clause.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 20,927, Level: 44
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,397
    Points
    20,927
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

    Re: Soriano

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Is this the first "The sky is falling" thread for us Cub fans? It's probably time, since we're on pace for 0-162!!!!!!
    The Cubs can still contend this year. It's down the road I'm worried about. They have Zambrano, Ramirez, Lee, Soriano and Fukudome all on the hook until at least 2010 and most longer. It might be interesting in a few years as this team ages. All these players are likely at or past their peak.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Soriano

    Soriano may not be the best outfielder in the league but they didn't pick him up for his defense. I fully expect him to have a great year at the plate.

    As I have stated for a couple months now, the pitching staff is going to end up being the thing to worry about, bullpen included.

    That all being said, there are 160 games left, no conclusions can be made at this point, only guesses.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM