Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

QB Sacks - How to ruin a team and a QB

I think the QB sacks of the last three years may be one of the biggest issues we have. When a QB is sacked its like a penalty with loss of down. QB sacks are drive ending more often than any play other than a turnover.

But perhaps the biggest impact of QB sacks is what it does to the QB. When QB's become accustomed to having to escape or hurry they develop bad habits. It isn't just college QB's, you see the same thing happen to NFL QB's. They stop checking down cause they have to look for a place to run, they get happy feet and leave a perfectly good pocket because they expect a hit, they get in the habit of locking in on their primary receiver because they don't expect time to see the field, b/c they usually are scrambing b/c it is hard to see the field when you are scrambling, they give up to early on plays, they stop following through on their throws b/c they get hit so often when they do stay in the pocket the the ball sails on them.

Remember back to the year b/4 the QB committe with Flynn and Meyer? At the beginning of the year I thougth Flynn was very good. In fact he was the lone bright spot in many games. As the year went on he seemed to get worse and worse. What happened? Folks he got the crap beat out him and developed bad habits. No one on this board even two months ago was not expecting record breaking results from Brett Meyer. Now we wonder if he should be benched. Why? I think its from two seasons of having the crap kicked out him. He is not the same QB he was and I think will require a lot of work from a great QB coach to get him back to both where he was and where he can be. I have no doubts that Brett has the skills to be a starting Sunday QB. Will he have a chance to develop depends on what JP does at the end of the season.

Folks Brett has been sacked more this year than all but 12 QB's in all of D1 football and more than all but one BCS conference QB. Last year only six QB's were sacked more than Brett Meyer in all D1 football. At his sack pace in the Big 12 this year he will end the year perhaps worse than last year.

No don't bring in our freshman, I don't want to subject another quarterback to the ruinous environment we have for our QB's. No Brett isn't playing well, but I can't blame him. I really am saddened by what has happened to Brett and hope that he gets the coaching he needs and the line he needs to rebuild his game.

Last edited by JCloned; 10-23-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131

Re: QB Sacks

Honestly, I think Bret not having time will seriously jeapordize his ability to make it in the NFL. Like you said it is developing bad habits for him and he isn't developing like we thought he would. Whe he has time he's as accurate as anybody out there. Under the current circumstances...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: QB Sacks

Good post, good points.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: QB Sacks - How to ruin a team and a QB

I agree Bryce, our Oline is not only frustrating our fans, but seriously jepordizing Brett's future in the NFL.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

That's really true about him not developing like everyone thought he would. I know I thought he would be much improved this season, but no dice. His senior season will sure be important.

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bret's senior season will be defined by having new QB coach that can overcome the coaching shortfalls he has had to endure. Junior College O-line players will be needed to provide some blocking. Someone said "we have a senior o-line and I will be glad to see them graduate". Maybe Meyer said it?

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The JC olinemen will need to be recruited by better judges of talent than the coaches we have today. The track record is very poor on first year JC players making an impact on Oline (I can remember one in the Mac era, have to be more, but I can only remember one who was a standout)

If we don't Brett's senior year line will be:

Lee Tibbs LT
    Reggie Stephens LG
    Bastion Schoeber C
    Tom Schmelling RG
    John Tjaden RT

And if what Mac says is true that there is a big talent drop off between our current 1's and our current 2's...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I agree Bryce, our Oline is not only frustrating our fans, but seriously jepordizing Brett's future in the NFL.
    It's not just jeopardizing Bretts, but also Todd Blythe's and even possibly Austin Flynn's. They're not getting their receptions because Meyer doesn't have the time to throw. No receptions equals no looks at scouts equals no play time in the NFL.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Do you think that the current backups with proper coaching can play at the level we need?

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 44

be quick or be sacked

some teams field quarterbacks we field sackbacks

Last edited by MrApathy; 10-23-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I do have to agree with everything being said here. The problem is that the defensive coordinators of the teams we play know this as well. They know all they have to do is send a little blitz, or sometimes even just rush 4, and it's usually enough to rattle Meyer thanks to the fact that blocks are never picked up.

I think Meyer is probably the most accurate passer ISU has had at least in the last 10 years, and we have a wealth of receivers who can make some great catches, but half of their routes take too long to develop considering that a defender is in Meyer's face after about 4 seconds or less.

I think the o-line also prevents us from any tricky plays (not that Mac tries a lot of those). For example: All last season I was itching to see Flynn pass the ball on a trick play. During the Texas game this season, he was sent on an endaround and was looking for the pass, but within 0.05 seconds of being handed the ball had a defender in his face. If we can't block, we can't execute.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What's the common theme here??? It all starts in the TRENCHES! Recruit all the quick skill position players you want, but if you don't have the big boys up front, you're DONE!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny8 View Post
    I do have to agree with everything being said here. The problem is that the defensive coordinators of the teams we play know this as well. They know all they have to do is send a little blitz, or sometimes even just rush 4, and it's usually enough to rattle Meyer thanks to the fact that blocks are never picked up.

I think Meyer is probably the most accurate passer ISU has had at least in the last 10 years, and we have a wealth of receivers who can make some great catches, but half of their routes take too long to develop considering that a defender is in Meyer's face after about 4 seconds or less.

I think the o-line also prevents us from any tricky plays (not that Mac tries a lot of those). For example: All last season I was itching to see Flynn pass the ball on a trick play. During the Texas game this season, he was sent on an endaround and was looking for the pass, but within 0.05 seconds of being handed the ball had a defender in his face. If we can't block, we can't execute.
    I have to disagree. I think Seneca Wallace is the best QB we've ever had - he had the ISU record books in 2 seasons worth of play. I can only imagine what he would of done if he had 5 years at ISU. He was an absolute stud, and you had to actually see him live to appreciate what he did. I'd take Wallace over Meyer any day.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Seneca was the most accurate...he was uncanny in his accuracy.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

I agree that Wallace is a more accurate passer, with more quickness, better speed and a stronger arm. That's not a knock on Meyer at all because I think Meyer has the ability to make it in the NFL. Wallace is just a freak of nature. Watching some of his passes Sunday gave me flashbacks. His only problem in the NFL is that he is so confident in his ability that he will try to thread the needle too often. He makes some completions that are incredible, but that will get him some INT's too.