Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Becoming a member of Augusta National Golf Club

I am a big golf fan and love playing great golf courses. So what are the chances of becoming a member of the golf course. For me it would be 0% at the moment. The avg. age of the members is 72 and they only allow 300 members at a time. Not only do you have to be a millionaire to pretty much be considered, you have to know the right people. There is no application to be admitted they just call you if they are considering you. Ive heard but don't know if it's true but they didn't even allow Bill Gates to be a member. So at the moment id say my quest to play the course isn't going so well. The only way I can think of is to be in the media covering the event because they allow certain media to play the course. Ive heard it cost around $800 to play a round. In the article im posting it says its annual fee is 25-50 thousand. its such a nice course though. oh well maybe ill get that call...(not)
    USATODAY.com - Privacy becomes public at Augusta

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

Re: Becoming a member of Augusta National Golf Club

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    I am a big golf fan and love playing great golf courses. So what are the chances of becoming a member of the golf course. For me it would be 0% at the moment. The avg. age of the members is 72 and they only allow 300 members at a time. Not only do you have to be a millionaire to pretty much be considered, you have to know the right people. There is no application to be admitted they just call you if they are considering you. Ive heard but don't know if it's true but they didn't even allow Bill Gates to be a member. So at the moment id say my quest to play the course isn't going so well. The only way I can think of is to be in the media covering the event because they allow certain media to play the course. Ive heard it cost around $800 to play a round. In the article im posting it says its annual fee is 25-50 thousand. its such a nice course though. oh well maybe ill get that call...(not)
    This is what you need to do to play the course. Get your Master's tickets, then hide a 7 iron down your pants when you go to the Master's. At the right time run out onto the course and hit a ball, and bam, you have played golf at Augusta. That seems to be the most logical way to me.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Even if you were to BECOME rich they wouldn't invite you because they prefer the old money. Your best chance would be to practice alot and try to join the Augusta State men's golf team, they get to play it a couple days a year.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't make it for the tournament. But if you know Warren Buffet give him my number so he can get me in

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

I think I got my new favorite quote from that article.

We have nothing against women," Knox says. "I love them all. I've got some myself. But we're a private club, and I'm all for it staying that way.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

There are a lot of expensive country clubs. Some are FAR more than Augusta. There are clubs out there that have 500k initiation fees and cost hundreds of thousands a year to be a member of.

I don't think I'd honestly want to be a member at Augusta. I'd LOVE to play there a time or two, but I don't know that I'd want to put up with all the pretentious crap that comes along with it. I don't even really care for the course these days, as much as it was 15-20 years ago. They've done so much to "Tiger proof" it that they kinda ruined it, IMO. The greens aren't set up right for a course that long, and all they are doing is giving long hitters an unfair advantage, since short guys are having to hit longer clubs into greens that were designed for short holes.

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

This article is from 2002. Martha Burk proved to be a minor pothole for Augusta National. She threatened CBS, so Augusta said "ok, no commercials". What woman would want to join the club. If they were forced to allow women, they should just run down to the local Hooters and invite them for spite

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,355
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 78

I think Bill Gates is a member; even though he doesn't play golf, they did extend an invitation. At least that's what I heard.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    I think Bill Gates is a member; even though he doesn't play golf, they did extend an invitation. At least that's what I heard.
    he might be now, I heard he wasn't allowed a couple years ago. but I dont know if thats true or not. UPDATE: I still haven't recieved my invitation yet

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 150

No women members!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Was lucky emough to visit Augusta National for a practice round in 2000. My sons and I went on Monday the only day they allowed cameras and it was a little more relaxed then the other days (par3 tourney on Wed).....

It is by far the most beautiful setting for a Golf Course you will see, TV as good as it looks does not do it justice. It is immaculatley kept, from tee to green, from rough to hazards.

The elevations are unbelieveable with the contrast in changes that the players have to adapt to. It is funny, beacause Augusta, GA is not a very pretty town except or the Old Money up on the Hillsides.....The town is very average, with a trailer court and Wal-mart with in a block of the front gates, but once inside, it is like Golf Heaven...

We have two gentlemen in the Grand Forks area that are members, one of them uses trips to Augusta with invited friends as a way to subsidize his dues......It has cost some firends around 4-5G to play with him for a weekend and stay in the on course cabins.....invite only (have not got mine yet)

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    Was lucky emough to visit Augusta National for a practice round in 2000. My sons and I went on Monday the only day they allowed cameras and it was a little more relaxed then the other days (par3 tourney on Wed).....

It is by far the most beautiful setting for a Golf Course you will see, TV as good as it looks does not do it justice. It is immaculatley kept, from tee to green, from rough to hazards.

The elevations are unbelieveable with the contrast in changes that the players have to adapt to. It is funny, beacause Augusta, GA is not a very pretty town except or the Old Money up on the Hillsides.....The town is very average, with a trailer court and Wal-mart with in a block of the front gates, but once inside, it is like Golf Heaven...

We have two gentlemen in the Grand Forks area that are members, one of them uses trips to Augusta with invited friends as a way to subsidize his dues......It has cost some firends around 4-5G to play with him for a weekend and stay in the on course cabins.....invite only (have not got mine yet)
    4-5g's is probably worth it, once in a lifetime golfcourse to get to play. I also want to play Bethpage Black in New York City.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 766

Quote Originally Posted by isuforlife View Post
    No women members!!
    Hey, where did you get that avatar picture? Awesome!

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Pebble Beach is more accessible right? I think I heard around 400-500 a round. Never been, but that would be sweet once!

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

If you become a caddie at augusta, a week after the masters they close the course until september I believe, they set out kegs of beer and the caddies get to play as much golf and drink as much beer as they can until the sun goes down.

Also if you are a turf student/work on a golf course as a super or assistant and get to volunteer for the masters - they will let you play a few holes after the work is done (most of the time it is dark though.)