Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

Earth temp cycles

Study: Humans Drove Final Nail into Mammoth Coffin - Yahoo! News

So, the earth can have temp cycles up and down over a period of time without human intervention? I thought Al Gore said humans were putting too much CO2 into the air. Maybe if everyone could afford to buy carbon credits like Gore the world would be a better place. The thought of man made global warming is probably one of the most egotistical things we as humans have come up with.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Earth temp cycles

"Sorry, that does not explain the pictures I took of snow in my front yard in December and pictures of no snow my front yard in April."
    -Al Gore

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 520

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    "Sorry, that does not explain the pictures I took of snow in my front yard in December and pictures of no snow my front yard in April."
    -Al Gore
    Beware of ManBearPig!

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

But, I saw a picture of a glacier melting! Are you saying that the glacier will re-develop? That's just crazy talk!

Also, I met manbearpig, nice fella.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    But, I saw a picture of a glacier melting! Are you saying that the glacier will re-develop? That's just crazy talk!

Also, I met manbearpig, nice fella.
    half man, half bear, half pig!

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    half man, half bear, half pig!

I did notice a smell of sulfur around him. He also forgot to flush, and his droppings looked like pig droppings, but more man-bear like.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I haven't read a global warming thread in so long. I missed you so much oh sweet global warming thread.

Let me just say this. I believe we as humans are destructive towards the environment. However, there is NO conclusive evidence that supports global warming. Just because it snows in April doesn't mean their is global warming. We are looking at a minuscule amount of data compared to the Earth's life cycle, so there is no way to determine if it's true or not. But, that doesn't mean we shouldn't ignore the possibility that it may be true.

And I'll see you in the politics section very soon.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Walk On
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

meh

History channel (or history international, or one of those channels) has been playing something on Earth at 10,000 BC. I watched part of it, and they were talking how humans got to the americas, and their history here. And discusses the mini ice age that occurred as the earth was warming from the "real" one.
    They talk a bit about how the mammoths, sabre tooths, dire wolves, and a buncha other stuff all went extinct during this time. They were pushing a theory that the north america area was struck by a large meteor or other large object. No crater because it hit it's biggest target (the glacier) so the crater melted. And the impact altered where the glacier melt was draining to, killing the the ocean's currents by highly reducing salinity in the right area, and therefore re-cooling the ocean, causing the mini ice age.
    According to the show, not much would have survived in north america after the impact, due to firestorms destroying everything. And the big animals hit the hardest as they need the most food to survive, and went the way of the dinos.

They presented some interesting proof of the theory, but also claimed the scientists working on it are thinking several more years of just collecting samples and data before they can really defend it in the Court of Science.

Anyway, that would have been 11 - 13 thousand years ago, if I remember right. And if such an event hit those species, not too hard to imagine they were on their last string, probably didn't need human's help to finish them off (as that link mentions as well) .

Last edited by Warder60; 04-02-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Global Warming is the biggest scam in the history of mankind. This winter took the average temperature of the past ten years back down to no increase what-so-ever. About a month ago there was a conference in New York that was attended by some of the most brilliant minds in Science and meteorology, including the founder of the Weather Channel, that disproved all of the scientific data the Gore uses to support his global warming theory. There has been talk of suing Gore for all the money that he is making and stands to make on this scam.

Last edited by Covenant Clone; 04-02-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by bhoodjer View Post
    Global Warming is the biggest scam in the history of mankind. This winter took the average temperature of the past ten years back down to no increase what-so-ever. About a month ago there was a conference in New York that was attended by some of the most brilliant minds in Science and meteorology, including the founder of the Weather Channel, that disproved all of the scientific date the Gore uses to support his global warming theory. There has been talk of suing Gore for all the money that he is making and stands to make on this scam.
    Saw a thing on CNN about his 10 most important facts and what was true and what was not. A lot of them were true, but didn't prove global warming.

One of them I remember was the death of Polar bears by drowning. In his documentary he has animation showing polar bears trying to get on ice flows and drowning, and that they die because of not being able to find ice anymore. Very powerful image. It turns out that what he was referring to is a couple of polar bears found drowned after a bad winter storm hit Antarctica and a fishing ship found them. Didn't prove a thing except it hit home on the emotional side. His documentary posed some interesting questions but what drives me nuts is that he won the Nobel Prize for it. I liked the documentary because it made me think, but their is no reason he should've won that award. Maybe 25 years from now when maybe it is proven, but not a year after he made the doc.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I am certainly not saying that we shouldn't take care of this beautiful place that God blessed us with but that is exactly what he was trying to do with that documentary (play on peoples emotions). The science behind this whole theory just has a ton of holes in it when it is objectively looked at by people smarter than me. The earth has been around a long time and has been through a lot of different cycles. We have only been keeping weather records for just over 100 years...I hardly think that is even close to enough information to support any of these things that he is claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Saw a thing on CNN about his 10 most important facts and what was true and what was not. A lot of them were true, but didn't prove global warming.

One of them I remember was the death of Polar bears by drowning. In his documentary he has animation showing polar bears trying to get on ice flows and drowning, and that they die because of not being able to find ice anymore. Very powerful image. It turns out that what he was referring to is a couple of polar bears found drowned after a bad winter storm hit Antarctica and a fishing ship found them. Didn't prove a thing except it hit home on the emotional side. His documentary posed some interesting questions but what drives me nuts is that he won the Nobel Prize for it. I liked the documentary because it made me think, but their is no reason he should've won that award. Maybe 25 years from now when maybe it is proven, but not a year after he made the doc.

Last edited by Covenant Clone; 04-02-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,311
    Given: 639

I would liken it to having a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, where you have one clear, nice piece, and three or four that your dog chewed on. The rest are missing. So we take the pieces that we do have, and project them out to imagine what the next piece must look like. Then we take the projections and imagine the piece after that. Very unlikely that you would get an accurate representation of the puzzle.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

The problem as I see it, is that you are dealing with two extremely complex systems: 1. The earth's climate. 2. Trend analysis.

It is difficult to impossible to deal with all the variables concerning the earth's climate, in itself.

Trends are difficult to impossible to predict, much less to "mine" them historically and try to pick out causes. They are especially difficult to get your mind around while you're in them.

With human-caused global warming, you are combining both the earth climate AND trend analysis, with lots of self-interest and bias added in.

I don't think we can even guarantee we'll know what happened 100 years from now, much less predict what's going to happen over the next 50.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

CyBookie event whether 2020 will be warmer or cooler? Wait, Zager and Evans did that one already.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Can we at least all agree, regardless of if Global Warming is real or not... Al Gore is a doofus.

*edited to say "doofus" instead of what I really think.