Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 735
    Given: 1,518

Golf rules

Okay,

So my golfing buddies call me a rules whore when it comes to golf. But I admit I am learning (only 4 year playing) more and more about the rules. Anyhoo, here is an online test of some basic and advanced rules of golf.

I scored 8/18 then realized I knew the answer to two more, but didn't understand the situation well. I need better reading comp skills. And I better brush up on the rule book before the season starts and I play Chad.

LINK.

Enjoy.

-keep.

Last edited by keepngoal; 04-01-2008 at 12:13 PM.
    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Golf rules

Yes can't wait for golf season...I got a 13/18 on the advanced one...Might be slipping a little bit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

17/18, not too bad. I guess that came from my high school coach drilling the rules into our heads.

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

If you join the USGA, you receive the latest edition of the "The Rules of Golf" - in case you would rather have a book version. Only $15.00 to join, I signed up a couple of weeks ago because my knowledge of the rules is really lacking.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

How about that Furyk thing this past weekend?

He hit his ball, which was laying outside of a fairway bunker, while standing inside the bunker. He hit the ball into a greenside bunker. His caddy raked the bunker he was standing in. He should have been penalized 2 strokes because his caddy was testing a similar hazard while his ball was laying in a hazard. He wasn't, and signed his card, and was DQd after he brought it to the attention of the rules officials.

What he should have done is hit the ball out of the greenside bunker and then go back and rake the trap according to the rules.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 64

7of18 and I guessed on 16 of them.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post

He hit his ball, which was laying outside of a fairway bunker, while standing inside the bunker. He hit the ball into a greenside bunker. His caddy raked the bunker he was standing in. He should have been penalized 2 strokes because his caddy was testing a similar hazard while his ball was laying in a hazard. He wasn't, and signed his card, and was DQd after he brought it to the attention of the rules officials.

What he should have done is hit the ball out of the greenside bunker and then go back and rake the trap according to the rules.
    So what if the caddy had said "screw it" and didn't go back to rake the first trap? Would Furyk be penalized for not grooming the trap? The caddy was doing the right thing by fixing the trap - and he gets dinged for it. I'll never understand golf. I think that's just my lot in life.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    So what if the caddy had said "screw it" and didn't go back to rake the first trap? Would Furyk be penalized for not grooming the trap? The caddy was doing the right thing by fixing the trap - and he gets dinged for it. I'll never understand golf. I think that's just my lot in life.
    Nowhere in the rules of golf does it say you have to groom sand traps. There is no penalty for not grooming a trap. It's simply proper golf etiquette to do so.

The caddy, by the rules of golf, was doing the wrong thing, or at least doing the right thing at the wrong time. It would have been ok for another caddy to do it, or for a non-participant to do it, however.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's these kind of rules that turn me off to golf. There was a guy here in Arizona who was winning the state amateur championship (or something). On the last day his son was his caddy and his son's friend walked the course with them. One time the friend handed the dad a club instead of his son. The Dad was disqualified because you can only have one person hand you your clubs. Where is the common sense?

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

The caddy was doing the right thing by fixing the trap - and he gets dinged for it. I'll never understand golf. I think that's just my lot in life.
    Some rules like that are so stupid. But hey, every sport has there stupid rules I guess.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

Nowhere in the rules of golf does it say you have to groom sand traps. There is no penalty for not grooming a trap. It's simply proper golf etiquette to do so.

The caddy, by the rules of golf, was doing the wrong thing, or at least doing the right thing at the wrong time. It would have been ok for another caddy to do it, or for a non-participant to do it, however.
    I see. In that case, the course should provide rakers and divit-replacers so guys trying to do the right thing don't make a mistake like that. There are too many times in golf that doing something honest gets someone DQed (like the son/caddy thing posted already). I realize there is etiquite and not knowing the rules does not make you immune to them, but golf takes it too far in my opinion. When a true 'athlete' like Tiger gets ticked off when someone talks during his back-swing, that's just a little too much too. When he goes back to Stanford and attends a basketball game, I'm certain I've never seen him running around with a 'quiet' sign in the crowd when the opponents are attempting a free throw.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I see. In that case, the course should provide rakers and divit-replacers so guys trying to do the right thing don't make a mistake like that. There are too many times in golf that doing something honest gets someone DQed (like the son/caddy thing posted already). I realize there is etiquite and not knowing the rules does not make you immune to them, but golf takes it too far in my opinion. When a true 'athlete' like Tiger gets ticked off when someone talks during his back-swing, that's just a little too much too. When he goes back to Stanford and attends a basketball game, I'm certain I've never seen him running around with a 'quiet' sign in the crowd when the opponents are attempting a free throw.
    You really can't compare golf to other team sports. You don't have people yelling at olympic sharpshooters. It's just not proper etiquette to talk during someone's backswing, even when you're just playing with buddies.

Some courses do indeed provide rakers that follow groups around (I think the masters does this). I don't really think that golf takes anything too far, really. There are a few rules that don't make a ton of sense, repairing spikemarks on the green for instance, but they are few and far between. It's not like most recreational golfers follow the rules in the first place, even very basic ones like hitting a ball OB or grounding your club in a hazard. It really only matters for people playing competitive golf, and you should know the rules when you're doing that. It'd be like someone trying to play football without knowing what holding was, or what roughing the passer was, or what a late hit was.

Golf is still a game of personal integrity. You can learn a lot about someone by playing golf with them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 753

It's not against the rules to yell "Noonan!" while someone is putting either. I do it all the time. :)

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

What's the real lesson to be learned from this quiz? Arnold Palmer is a liar and a cheat.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,175
    Given: 1,031

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    Okay,

but didn't understand the situation well.

-keep.
    That's my usual excuse as well. I started to take the quiz, and then realized that it was going to be all out guesswork, so I quit.