Golf rules
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Golf rules

  1. #1
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 291,637, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,381
    Points
    291,637
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 735
    Given: 1,518

    Golf rules

    Okay,

    So my golfing buddies call me a rules whore when it comes to golf. But I admit I am learning (only 4 year playing) more and more about the rules. Anyhoo, here is an online test of some basic and advanced rules of golf.

    I scored 8/18 then realized I knew the answer to two more, but didn't understand the situation well. I need better reading comp skills. And I better brush up on the rule book before the season starts and I play Chad.

    LINK.

    Enjoy.

    -keep.


    Last edited by keepngoal; 04-01-2008 at 12:13 PM.
    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  2. #2
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Aldude505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa Falls
    Posts
    163
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf rules

    Yes can't wait for golf season...I got a 13/18 on the advanced one...Might be slipping a little bit.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 12,840, Level: 34
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cycloneryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,074
    Points
    12,840
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf rules

    17/18, not too bad. I guess that came from my high school coach drilling the rules into our heads.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 10,324, Level: 30
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Chad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    429
    Points
    10,324
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf rules

    If you join the USGA, you receive the latest edition of the "The Rules of Golf" - in case you would rather have a book version. Only $15.00 to join, I signed up a couple of weeks ago because my knowledge of the rules is really lacking.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 63,248, Level: 77
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,474
    Points
    63,248
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Golf rules

    How about that Furyk thing this past weekend?

    He hit his ball, which was laying outside of a fairway bunker, while standing inside the bunker. He hit the ball into a greenside bunker. His caddy raked the bunker he was standing in. He should have been penalized 2 strokes because his caddy was testing a similar hazard while his ball was laying in a hazard. He wasn't, and signed his card, and was DQd after he brought it to the attention of the rules officials.

    What he should have done is hit the ball out of the greenside bunker and then go back and rake the trap according to the rules.



  6. #6
    cyclONEnation
    Points: 217,457, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    C.John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Points
    217,457
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 64

    Re: Golf rules

    7of18 and I guessed on 16 of them.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 30,672, Level: 53
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tube1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,023
    Points
    30,672
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

    Re: Golf rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    How about that Furyk thing this past weekend?

    He hit his ball, which was laying outside of a fairway bunker, while standing inside the bunker. He hit the ball into a greenside bunker. His caddy raked the bunker he was standing in. He should have been penalized 2 strokes because his caddy was testing a similar hazard while his ball was laying in a hazard. He wasn't, and signed his card, and was DQd after he brought it to the attention of the rules officials.

    What he should have done is hit the ball out of the greenside bunker and then go back and rake the trap according to the rules.
    So what if the caddy had said "screw it" and didn't go back to rake the first trap? Would Furyk be penalized for not grooming the trap? The caddy was doing the right thing by fixing the trap - and he gets dinged for it. I'll never understand golf. I think that's just my lot in life.


    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 63,248, Level: 77
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,474
    Points
    63,248
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Golf rules

    Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    So what if the caddy had said "screw it" and didn't go back to rake the first trap? Would Furyk be penalized for not grooming the trap? The caddy was doing the right thing by fixing the trap - and he gets dinged for it. I'll never understand golf. I think that's just my lot in life.
    Nowhere in the rules of golf does it say you have to groom sand traps. There is no penalty for not grooming a trap. It's simply proper golf etiquette to do so.

    The caddy, by the rules of golf, was doing the wrong thing, or at least doing the right thing at the wrong time. It would have been ok for another caddy to do it, or for a non-participant to do it, however.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 32,785, Level: 55
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CloneFan65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,241
    Points
    32,785
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    How about that Furyk thing this past weekend?

    He hit his ball, which was laying outside of a fairway bunker, while standing inside the bunker. He hit the ball into a greenside bunker. His caddy raked the bunker he was standing in. He should have been penalized 2 strokes because his caddy was testing a similar hazard while his ball was laying in a hazard. He wasn't, and signed his card, and was DQd after he brought it to the attention of the rules officials.

    What he should have done is hit the ball out of the greenside bunker and then go back and rake the trap according to the rules.
    It's these kind of rules that turn me off to golf. There was a guy here in Arizona who was winning the state amateur championship (or something). On the last day his son was his caddy and his son's friend walked the course with them. One time the friend handed the dad a club instead of his son. The Dad was disqualified because you can only have one person hand you your clubs. Where is the common sense?


    "THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,496, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    4,218
    Points
    39,496
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

    Re: Golf rules

    Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    The caddy was doing the right thing by fixing the trap - and he gets dinged for it. I'll never understand golf. I think that's just my lot in life.
    Some rules like that are so stupid. But hey, every sport has there stupid rules I guess.


    Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 30,672, Level: 53
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tube1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,023
    Points
    30,672
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

    Re: Golf rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Nowhere in the rules of golf does it say you have to groom sand traps. There is no penalty for not grooming a trap. It's simply proper golf etiquette to do so.

    The caddy, by the rules of golf, was doing the wrong thing, or at least doing the right thing at the wrong time. It would have been ok for another caddy to do it, or for a non-participant to do it, however.
    I see. In that case, the course should provide rakers and divit-replacers so guys trying to do the right thing don't make a mistake like that. There are too many times in golf that doing something honest gets someone DQed (like the son/caddy thing posted already). I realize there is etiquite and not knowing the rules does not make you immune to them, but golf takes it too far in my opinion. When a true 'athlete' like Tiger gets ticked off when someone talks during his back-swing, that's just a little too much too. When he goes back to Stanford and attends a basketball game, I'm certain I've never seen him running around with a 'quiet' sign in the crowd when the opponents are attempting a free throw.


    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 63,248, Level: 77
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,474
    Points
    63,248
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Golf rules

    Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    I see. In that case, the course should provide rakers and divit-replacers so guys trying to do the right thing don't make a mistake like that. There are too many times in golf that doing something honest gets someone DQed (like the son/caddy thing posted already). I realize there is etiquite and not knowing the rules does not make you immune to them, but golf takes it too far in my opinion. When a true 'athlete' like Tiger gets ticked off when someone talks during his back-swing, that's just a little too much too. When he goes back to Stanford and attends a basketball game, I'm certain I've never seen him running around with a 'quiet' sign in the crowd when the opponents are attempting a free throw.
    You really can't compare golf to other team sports. You don't have people yelling at olympic sharpshooters. It's just not proper etiquette to talk during someone's backswing, even when you're just playing with buddies.

    Some courses do indeed provide rakers that follow groups around (I think the masters does this). I don't really think that golf takes anything too far, really. There are a few rules that don't make a ton of sense, repairing spikemarks on the green for instance, but they are few and far between. It's not like most recreational golfers follow the rules in the first place, even very basic ones like hitting a ball OB or grounding your club in a hazard. It really only matters for people playing competitive golf, and you should know the rules when you're doing that. It'd be like someone trying to play football without knowing what holding was, or what roughing the passer was, or what a late hit was.

    Golf is still a game of personal integrity. You can learn a lot about someone by playing golf with them.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 261,338, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,194
    Points
    261,338
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 753

    Re: Golf rules

    It's not against the rules to yell "Noonan!" while someone is putting either. I do it all the time. :)



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf rules

    What's the real lesson to be learned from this quiz? Arnold Palmer is a liar and a cheat.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 734,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,029
    Points
    734,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,175
    Given: 1,031

    Re: Golf rules

    Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    Okay,

    but didn't understand the situation well.



    -keep.
    That's my usual excuse as well. I started to take the quiz, and then realized that it was going to be all out guesswork, so I quit.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM