Cyclone42

Iraq is now a standoff war.

There were some important developments over the past few days in Iraq that do not bode well for our efforts there. For anyone who wasn't paying attention, president Nuri al-Maliki of Iraq tried to retake Bastra, and totally failed. He gambled a lot on this, and accomplished absolutely nothing, from what I've been able to gather.

Even though this event did not directly involve U.S. troops, it does not mean well for our efforts there. I think Iraq has developed into a standoff war, with all sides now so firmly entrenched in their various positions that the chances of dislodging any party from any part of Iraq (the Sadr militias in Basra for instance) is now extremely difficult. I see us spending hundreds of billions of dollars there for years, and accomplishing nothing.

Contrary to what the Democrats say, we are not losing in Iraq. But, contrary to what the Republicans and conservative talk-radio hosts say, we are not winning in Iraq, either.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 345

Re: Iraq is now a standoff war.

Muslims now outnumber Catholics and more are on the way.

Iraq may be the crossorads to MidEast meets FarWest.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.