Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Why things will be different in 2008.....

Here's my take on why things will be different....

Overall from the team aspect, we have established players that have been in the system for a year as stated by Coach Petersen "the kids are able to read and react, not read, think and react" not to mention make mistakes....i think this will equate to faster, smarter plays on the defense and some home run type shots on the offense. Secondly, i loved Bret Meyer and thought that kid endured a lot during his career, but, i am optimistic that our offense will be better and more consistant regardless of whos under center. I think Bates will bring a level of athleticism we havent seen since seneca with a better arm....and with Arnaud, i think it will be hard to un seat him from the projected #1 spot - i think his time in the system and understanding of the offense and reads gives him the leg up so to speak, not to mention his throws are bit ahead of Phillips at this time. But, considering using these two much like we did AA and Meyer last year with a true open competition next year seems like the natural maturation of Bates....

Things that get me excited about the direction of our fb team:

I think you could see the expansion of the offense last year as the season progressed. This system is complicated and the transition is not simply changing verbage - its a lot about read and adjustments...That means big plays when done right....

I think our OLINE was designed as a long term fix, not a quick fix which was the case under Dan....Redshirting the guys we did, they will be impact players on our line for years to come.

We've discussed the recruiting of more talented players. I firmly believe this coaching staff has a better grasp of recruiting players as talented as Coach Dan or better, but, they fit the system a lot better.

I think the truest test of a coaches abilities are the growth a player makes while under the direction of this coaching staff. I see our players growing and becoming better ball players, thats coaching.

Three players that were redshirted last year that i'm excited to see play:
    Jerrod Black
    Kelechi Osemele
    Trey Baysinger

I think all three of these players have the chance to be on the all-big 12 (Freshman) team this year.

This team will be exciting, concerned about the defense, we will be young over there and that breeds mistakes and big plays. I think our offense will be more consistent and have more big plays this year.

I see Hamilton being a stud, he got a taste for the front page and his drive will get him to the next level this year. Arob and JJ will be battlin this year for carries, i think scales will see a much more reduced role. Franklin and Nate Jones appear as the risers on the receiving market....it will be interesting to see how Carlson, Darks, Johnson and next year Range fit into the equation....our wr depth will be awesome....

I think the biggest progress our team has going for it is depth and schemes. In the Danny Mac days, it was a decent team for starters and a huge dropoff in the reserves. I see this staff building a TEAM by depth.....putting talent two deep so new schemes and injuries don't have such an impact because they will happen and if you have talent 2 deep you cover those plus add competition to the mix to help drive players to get better.

Schemes, we can tell that our player personnel didnt fit the system last year. The aggressive design of the tampa two cannot afford db's that play off, and although some may think that our dbs did a decent job, i think they were challenged bigtime in the off season to get better. Seeing practice 4 reports showing multiple 40 yard touchdown receptions does not give me a lot of hope the problem is resolved. I think if we have Banks on board and our incoming freshmen, 1 or 2 may play as true freshmen. The secondary is a big question mark to me - how good we are, time will tell......But, our staff is recruiting guys that fit the tampa 2 and i when those bodies start to fill the starters roles will be a true test of the direction of the defense....

Can't wait.....Football season is here, at least a couple times a week for a couple weeks.....

SHEP kick that butt, get them ready..........cant wait!!!!!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Re: Why things will be different in 2008.....

I suspect that Austad/Bates will throw more deep balls this year. Bret had a nice high loft, but it took a while to get there. AA can throw it deep on a rope.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Nice right up. Although it is difficult to say that Bates has a better arm than Seneca as Seneca has a great arm

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I suspect that Austad/Bates will throw more deep balls this year. Bret had a nice high loft, but it took a while to get there. AA can throw it deep on a rope.
    Right on Wes agree 100%, plus, and its a dream, but, it would be nice if for just one play, when the play is a deep throw to the left side if the qb at least looked to the right first, forcing the safety to respect that as a possibility.....

I would guarantee that the safetys that ISU played last year defended more balls then did the db's.......reason for that, jumping routes because your able to read the qb's head.....

Sorry but meyer only had one throw and that was the one he was looking at....please let either AA or PB be able to go through a live progression and make the right read and throw the ball when it needs to be thrown - thats not too much to ask is it????

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

The depth this coaching staff is developing is the biggest thing that will lead to solid success.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Don't forget...
    • Collin Franklin at TE who will be able to lengthen the field
    • The ability to throw opposing defenses off with alternating style RBs & QBs
    • A hopefully improved athletic defense playing more naturally & aggressively after a year in the system
    • Another off-season of Shep molding/shaping these young men

Should be a VERY interesting season...

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I see Hamilton being a stud, he got a taste for the front page and his drive will get him to the next level this year. Arob and JJ will be battlin this year for carries, i think scales will see a much more reduced role. Franklin and Nate Jones appear as the risers on the receiving market....it will be interesting to see how Carlson, Darks, Johnson and next year Range fit into the equation....our wr depth will be awesome....
    I'm assuming that by "Nate", you mean "Houston"

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

You have a Nate Jones at WR, but I am not aware of someone with that name. Did you mean to put Houston Jones? That is the only WR that I can think of with the name Jones.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 1,069

IMO: most of next year will be different, as I see most games being shootouts. No disrespect but our LB core will need to make huge strides to effectively stop people. I see lots of games where both teams are in the 20s and 30s.

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    IMO: most of next year will be different, as I see most games being shootouts. No disrespect but our LB core will need to make huge strides to effectively stop people. I see lots of games where both teams are in the 20s and 30s.

-keep.
    Man here's to hoping we can score 30 a game without going into OT

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 715

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post

-keep.
    The coaches seem to be pleased with how fast the linebacking corps is. Well, how fast it is for the most part.

I think one large difference will be that the team knows the system, then there will be no adjustment required as the season progresses. Another big difference will be in team speed, especialy once Sed and Jason get onto the field.

Having actual kickers and punt/kickoff returners this fall, though they might be freshmen, will also make a huge difference.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'll agree that the offense looks ready to explode, that is with any consistency in the QB play. The thing I like about this team is the competition in that we have a lot of returning starters and guys who played a lot but I'd say the only two people, barring injury, that are sure things to start game one are Hamilton and Taylor.

This team's success next year is gonna be a product of the play of the defensive front 7, and more importantly the interior d-line. Its gonna be damn near impossible, at least at first, to better along the front 7 losing Rubin, Braaksma, Banks, and Bowen, and its not like we were dominant there last year.

A lot of guys got playing time there last year and we REALLY need some guys to step up. The LBs will be fine with upperclassmen like Raven, Garrin, Bibbs, Schmidgall, etc but the D-Line scares me.

Taylor seems solid, but we NEED to get a consistent rush otherwise our experienced secondary will still get burnt. Parker or Lyle need to breakout. As for the tackles i predict Black and BJ, hopefully they can whether the early storm and come out as quality players.

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 1,069

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    The coaches seem to be pleased with how fast the linebacking corps is. Well, how fast it is for the most part.

I think one large difference will be that the team knows the system, then there will be no adjustment required as the season progresses. Another big difference will be in team speed, especialy once Sed and Jason get onto the field.

Having actual kickers and punt/kickoff returners this fall, though they might be freshmen, will also make a huge difference.
    That is good to hear, as I see that as our mission critical area for any success next year.

Now on to the secondary.

If both of these areas develop as you hinted Aclone, we will have a very good 2nd year under Sir Chiz.

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 715

I'll settle for the greatest improvement coming from the offensive line. The comments about the defensive front seven are valid, but a great offensive line means controlling the ball, and scoring points. The more that you eat up clock, and the more points you put on the board, the greater and greater risks you force the opposing team to take to do the same.

Creating opportunities not only for failure, but for turnovers as well.

That said, I'm really concerned about Parker/Lyle, and the defensive interior. There is talent there, with good coaching. We will see what we shall see.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

great post and I too am very excited about the next few years of football at Iowa State. One thing I'm hoping to see as well is an intangible.. and that is the exorcism of the attitude of lowliness that is ISU football... the type that choked away two potential division titles, the attitude that "it's so hard to win here", the attitude from the previous regime (I'm not trying to Mac bash here), but I think we still saw pieces of it early last year vs. Toledo and Kent State... (I realize the team was still finding itself early last year), but the way the team came together near the end of the year with W's vs. CU and K-State and playing tough vs. OU and Mizzou told me a lot about Chizik and his staff, the team finished strong in '07 instead of tanking like in '06... We fans hopefully will feed of this excitement and energy as well and make JTS loud for every game regardless of the opponent....

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802