Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12

OT - Digital Camera Advice

My wife and I are looking at getting a new digital camera, so I thought I'd get some trusted advice from fellow fanatics . We'll be using it for mostly outside action shots of our kids this spring and summer, so we're mostly interested in the Image Stabilizer, Zoom Range, Red Eye reduction, and good color photos. Additionally, capturing some video would be a bonus. Also, our current Kodak camera takes crappy picture at indoor arenas (Hilton, Wells Fargo, etc.). The photos appear dark whether the flash is on or off, so we'd like something that will take quality pictures in those settings. We're looking to spend between $200 and $250 and stay with the SD cards as a lot of our other electronic equipment use those and we have several.

I searched the forum and found this thread http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...ra-advice.html and taken a look at some of those suggested.

I've looked at those cameras and it seems that Canon is the way to go. Anyone suggestions would be appreciated.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 84

Re: OT - Digital Camera Advice

I bought a Canon S2 IS several years ago. It has 5 megapixels with a 12x optical and 4x digital zoom. It also has Canon's professional chipset with image stablization.
    It takes excellent pictures. I compared it to some of the other brands that had more megapixels and this took far superior pictures.

Some day, if I buy another digital camera, I would buy a Canon again.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

I don't know if Canon is the way to go - but they certainly do make a very good product. I don't think you can go wrong by getting a Canon.

I still recommend the A570 or if you're willing to spend a little more, the G9 is well worth the cash - especially if you think you're interests in digital photography will grow. It's a quasi-SLR in a powershot body. Nice camera.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones_R_GR8 View Post
    I bought a Canon S2 IS several years ago. It has 5 megapixels with a 12x optical and 4x digital zoom. It also has Canon's professional chipset with image stablization.
    It takes excellent pictures. I compared it to some of the other brands that had more megapixels and this took far superior pictures.

Some day, if I buy another digital camera, I would buy a Canon again.
    I have one of these too and have been pleased with it.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

My dad's been very happy with his Pentax as well, but part of what inspired him to by that was the fact he could use the lenses he already owned. Actually to add to that, my experience with Pentax's have been good as well. Dealt with a good range from a 500 dollar really nice one to their waterproof line(takes a good photo even if not around water, to one of their supercompacts. Only bad thing was when drunk in Germany one night I dropped the supercompact while the camera was on and it ended up making the lense unable to fully extend or retract. I'd fault myself for stupidity more than the camera there however.

Currently own a Nikon Coolpix L11, which for a budget camera perfectly suits my needs. Sometimes the indoor shots with flash are a little overexposed but for a 100 dollar camera, I'm not going to complain

Last edited by Iastfan112; 03-31-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Canon just recently came out with the A590IS which is basically the A570IS but with more megapixels, higher quality video, and a couple additional changes. This is a good all-around camera and it will allow you to use some manual settings if you'd like. It's around $165

If you want something very compact, I'd recommend the Canon SD800 series cameras. SD870IS is the most expensive with a 3.8x wide angle zoom lens, 8Mpixels and a large 3"LCD screen. One thing to note is that it doesn't have a viewfinder. SD850IS is the next one down with 8Mpixels, 2.5"LCD screen, and a 4x standard zoom lens. SD800 is similar to the 870 with the wide angle zoom but with 7Mpixels and a 2.5"LCD screen. These are all around 260 dollars. You might be able to find deals on them around $225.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by jrastrel View Post
    ..... If you want something very compact, I'd recommend the Canon SD800 series cameras. SD870IS is the most expensive with a 3.8x wide angle zoom lens, 8Mpixels and a large 3"LCD screen. One thing to note is that it doesn't have a viewfinder. SD850IS is the next one down with 8Mpixels, 2.5"LCD screen, and a 4x standard zoom lens. SD800 is similar to the 870 with the wide angle zoom but with 7Mpixels and a 2.5"LCD screen. These are all around 260 dollars. You might be able to find deals on them around $225.

I've got the SD800 and I have no complaints about it.

It has a good battery life, good zoom & color. The image stabilizer and video quality are also very nice.

Last edited by HiltonMagic; 04-01-2008 at 01:03 AM.
    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I have the SD1000, I really like it. 2nd Canon, both have been excellent cameras.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

If you are really interested in having a great zoom and great video taking ability look at the Canon S5 IS. They are starting to come down in price even, and is a pretty good camera for both novices and more advanced users. It has the image stabilizer, a 12X optical zoom, and a nice 2.5" rotating LCD on the back. It's not as good as a DSLR but it will take great pictures and you will get a lot of bang for your buck. Personally I have the Canon G9 which is a terrific camera, but like ISUFan22 said about it maybe for a bit more advanced users. It has a pretty good auto point and shoot mode, but if you want to get the most out of the camera you will want to use some of the more advanced functions on the bad boy.

Last edited by DougMasters; 04-01-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12

Follow Up on Digital Cameras

Thanks to all of you that gave suggestions for digital cameras . I've looked at the Canon's and Kodak's and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to either the Canon Powershot A720 IS

Canon | Powershot A720 IS Digital Camera | 2092B001 | B&H Photo

or the Kodak Easyshare Z1285

Kodak | EasyShare Z1285 Zoom Digital Camera (Black) | 8060006

I'm going to take a look at each of these this weekend at Best Buy to actuall hold the item, but probably will be for a site online to buy them as some of you have said there are better deals online (B&H, Newegg, etc.)

Thanks again for all the comments.