Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 357

The winds of change are blowin...

I thought I'd never say this...ever. I firmly believed this was the year D-Mac would serve up his haters a big helping of shut-the-hell-up. The table was set and the groceries were in the kitchen.

Instead, the groceries spoiled and the chef is being made to look like a fool. It's a sad state of Cyclone football we are in.

Our five losses have come to some good teams. Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska are all solid Top 25 teams with Texas likely headed to another BCS bowl. Iowa is good, when they want to be. And Tech, yeah - they're ok I 'spose.

But our wins, a combined 9 points separation from Toledo, UNLV and UNI? Eeek. Our highest scoring output (in regulation) being 28...needing a triple overtime game to crack 40. Ouch! Those teams are a combined 8-14 today (Toledo 2-6, UNLV 1-6, UNI 5-2). Talk about a shot to the pills.

So...it's clearer now more than ever that some changes must and will be made. But, just how many? And what can we afford?

I think if we were looking at the final year or two of D-Mac's contract - it would surely be all over for him. Just or not, you can't be 3-8 right now with all the talent we have. It's just not acceptable.

However, and I don't know the details, but his buyout certainly plays a major role here. So, lets say the buyout forced us to keep D-Mac and/or he's just kept because Pollard believes in him. Assistants are let go instead.

What good assistants will want to come here? The writing is obviously on the wall that Pollard is not afraid to pull the trigger. So what says D-Mac wouldn't be let go after '07 - which could be worse than this year? Really, lets say Cotton is let go for example. What OC comes in for what very well could be a one or two year job?

All of this is speculation and it kills me even to consider it, let alone put it into words. I see no other option here. Yes, the players are failing to execute but the coaches are failing too.

I just don't know where we go from here. Hopefully Master Chef Pollard does. Regardless, I'll be there each Saturday decked out in my Cardinal & Gold ready to eat what is served up. Hopefully it starts tasting a lot better, soon.

EDIT:

To clarify the "buyout" of D-Mac's contract. It really does not have the buyout like Morgan's did. All we would owe D-Mac is his base salary for however many years are remaining. I think his base is $450k. So we'd just pay him that $450k each year until the end of his contract.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 10-23-2006 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Buyout update

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: The winds of change are blowin...

This isn't Pleasantville! This University can't afford to keep Mac at any cost.

Rookie
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

great concerns ISUFan..i feel your pain.

These decisions are always tough, but when the writing is on the wall...i.e. Hilton Magic gone for the first time in a long time...it makes it a lot easier on the AD.

Fans will buy the opinion of Pollard if in a news conference he has a Powerpoint presentation of this years stats vs. last years stats. A listing of the previous season's records. Sure there were great spots, but there should be more.

Furthermore, take all the record quotes that are going around with his winning % being worse than Waldens and the quote Deace has thrown around with the winning % against the Big 12 teams that have a winning record, and Pollard has one argument after another of why our football program is no longer in the position we would like it to be in.

We need to face the reality that we are now on the downtrend of what I like to call the Cyclone Football Process. It happens all the time, 2-3 years of greatness...other teams catch up...we fall. Other teams coaches leave...they begin the process again. Our year for greatness was the year(s) Nebraska, Missouri, K-State were down. And even then a field-goal keeps us from Kansas City.

Last edited by Lastplace; 10-23-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 610

This season has truly been a group effort in mediocrity. Win by little over three weak people, and then lose by end of the half in three/four games since we do not play the second half, best Iowa in the first half and then give the game to Tate, and not blink an eye as a staff in the news media. This also takes the shine off the last two years. It feels like the Buffs in their last three games of last year. Buffs also have a Dan coaching.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,230
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Mediocrity? Are we even mediocre?

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mike4cy View Post
    Mediocrity? Are we even mediocre?
    Thats what I've been thinking. I keep hearing the oline play is average, the defense is average, etc. If these things actually were average and not terrible, we'd be 6-2 or at least 5-3 right now and not calling for coaching changes at seasons end.

Average does not mean horrible. Horrible means p**s poor.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Our oline has a counterpart in the pros yesterday. The Seattle oline (especially the worthless left tackle) gave Seneca Wallace no blocking accomplishment in about 30 plays. Seneca was sacked and fumbled into the end zone when the no name went right aorund him into the tackle. Holmgren looked very concerned without Matt hasselback and Sean Alexander available. Seneca did not look too pleased by the left tackle either. When Darrell Jackson lost the first down on a catch and then went backwards, it looked like our team all over again.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Who do the Big 12 teams remind you of in the pros?

Iowa State - Oakland (they won yesterday)

Kansas State - Green Bay Packers

Colorado - Tampa Bay

Kansas - Tennessee

Missouri - Minnesota

Nebraska - Denver

Okie State - Kansas City

Okie - New Orleans

Texas - New England

Texas A&M - New York Jets

Baylor - New York Giants

Texas Tech - Indianopolis

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

Everyone keeps indicating we should be better "with the type of talent we have". I question the level of talent we have. I really don't see it at all. In fact, I really didn't see it last year (except for the Iowa game). I read on a message board that our limited success was more a factor of teams in the North coming back rather that us stepping up and a part of me believes that.

I do think we have better athletes now than before, but so does everyone else. The play calling/coaching is questionable at best as well. Combine mediocre/below avg. talent with mediocre/below avg. coaching and you have a recipe that equals the 2006 ISU Cyclone football team.

I don't think I've missed a home game in 17 years and this is one of the weakest teams we've fielded. I love my Cyclones, but I can face reality.

I say this team is mediocre at best even with Pete Carroll, Stoops, Ferentz, or whoever is considered a great college gameday coach, at the helm. The talent level needs to be improved in the athletes we are getting on scholarship.

The players we sign are not 2 star athletes because they "signed with the Cyclones". They are 2 star athletes because of what you are seeing on the field.

The problem is we believed our own hype and have unrealistic expectations given the actual roster of players we have.

I'm for wholesale changes. I think we need some new blood. I will support the Cyclones either way, but for those of you who think it is ALL coaching...I have a revelation...the players aren't as good as many think they are.

My two cents..

Last edited by isuno1fan; 10-23-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 357

I just edited the original post to include the correct buyout info.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by Lastplace View Post
    great concerns ISUFan..i feel your pain.

These decisions are always tough, but when the writing is on the wall...i.e. Hilton Magic gone for the first time in a long time...it makes it a lot easier on the AD.

Fans will buy the opinion of Pollard if in a news conference he has a Powerpoint presentation of this years stats vs. last years stats. A listing of the previous season's records. Sure there were great spots, but there should be more.

Furthermore, take all the record quotes that are going around with his winning % being worse than Waldens and the quote Deace has thrown around with the winning % against the Big 12 teams that have a winning record, and Pollard has one argument after another of why our football program is no longer in the position we would like it to be in.

We need to face the reality that we are now on the downtrend of what I like to call the Cyclone Football Process. It happens all the time, 2-3 years of greatness...other teams catch up...we fall. Other teams coaches leave...they begin the process again. Our year for greatness was the year(s) Nebraska, Missouri, K-State were down. And even then a field-goal keeps us from Kansas City.
    2-3 years of greatness? I must have missed those years. Or maybe you're talking about the Earle Bruce era.

Rookie
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think we all know that we were in pretty good shape the year we beat (lost on B.S) to Florida State, and beat (lost in OT on bad calls) at Nebraska.

Sorry...Greatness wasnt the best word to use

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    EDIT:

To clarify the "buyout" of D-Mac's contract. It really does not have the buyout like Morgan's did. All we would owe D-Mac is his base salary for however many years are remaining. I think his base is $450k. So we'd just pay him that $450k each year until the end of his contract.

Equates to 12858 single season tickets total @ $35.00 apiece, 2143 per game @ 6 homegames per year.

Better multiply that by 2 to cover overhead, so that brings it to 4286 single season tickets per game. I don't know what the overhead per game for JTS is, but obviously the overhead per game is for the most part is fixed, as in it doesn't go up much as the croud goes up. I think 50% is a very liberal guess.

Or by season tickets, 1731 @ $260 per packet, multiply by 2 is 3462.

So, by my VERY crude calculations, if it comes down to a pure business decison, it comes down to 3400 season ticket losses, 4300 single tickets per game loss, or the combination of the two to outweigh McCarney's contract obligations if he is relieved of his duties.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    Equates to 12858 single season tickets total @ $35.00 apiece, 2143 per game @ 6 homegames per year.

Better multiply that by 2 to cover overhead, so that brings it to 4286 single season tickets per game. I don't know what the overhead per game for JTS is, but obviously the overhead per game is for the most part is fixed, as in it doesn't go up much as the croud goes up. I think 50% is a very liberal guess.

Or by season tickets, 1731 @ $260 per packet, multiply by 2 is 3462.

So, by my VERY crude calculations, if it comes down to a pure business decison, it comes down to 3400 season ticket losses, 4300 single tickets per game loss, or the combination of the two to outweigh McCarney's contract obligations if he is relieved of his duties.
    Business major?

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post

Excellent point herbicide. What is the opportunity cost of retaining Mac? What will ticket sales be with Mac versus a new coach? If you look at ticket sales for basketball, I think there's evidence that a new coach may actually pass the cost benefit test.