Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I've finally lost faith in Mac.

My first memories of ISU football came under the tenure of Jim Criner. It's hard to believe that I still cared about football long enough to see Jim Walden take the helm and lower the level of play.

Then, in came McCarney. His slow start was tempered by having a Heisman candidate in the backfield. When he finally got his players on the field, I finally got a taste of what is was like to have a winning football program. Dan had taken a perennial doormat, and he'd established a tradition of winning football.

I was patient during the 2003 debachle. I knew that Dan had rebounded once, and he could do it again. He, as expected, returned us to winning football. However, he didn't take it to the next level. He failed to take advantage of a weak Big 12 North in order to afford a chance to get beaten to a pulp in a Championship game.

My professional career has brought me back to Ames. I didn't get season tickets this year, but I have gone to 3 games. I was ready to order season tickets for next year. However, if Mac is still at the helm (and he doesn't win 3 of his next 4 games), I won't do it. I can live with a bad defense, given the tremendous turnover. However, our offense has been inexcusably bad.

Pollard, hire somebody like Venables or Harbaugh. We've got some good talent coming back next year, and you have a chance to get a new regime in here on a good foot. If you want some more of money via the football program, that's what you're going to have to do.

Go Cyclones!!! Come on McDermott, salvage my year.

Whitey

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 180

Re: I've finally lost faith in Mac.

Come on Whitey buy season tickets next year! I will buy season tickets next year just like I have since 1974! Oh yeah I was there for the Duncan-Criner-Walden years just like you and I'm still gonna buy again!

Until they put me in my Cardinal and Gold Casket!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

It's one thing to give up on the coach.

It's another to give up on the program and stop showing up for games.

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 589
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    It's one thing to give up on the coach.

It's another to give up on the program and stop showing up for games.
    Agreed.....you people say you want a new coach, but then say you are going to stop with season ticket purchases and donations. So where is the money for the new coach supoussed to come from??? I too am reaching the end of my McCarney support, but I question what will happene at years end, because of where we stand finacially. regardeless of what happenes, our athletic program is in dire need of more money. Stoping purchases of tickets and donations of money is only going to hurt us more. If McCarney does not produce results on the field, he will not be here much longer, no matter how much money is being genertaed into our program. You can stop your McCarney support, but please o please, do not stop supporting our athletic program!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

This is a sticky one.

If attendance remains strong, Pollard may not have his hand forced into making a change at the end of the year and we may continue to languish under Mac.

I think that a vast majority of fans finally agree that a change at the top is warranted, but we may not receive the change we deserve at the end of the season if there isn’t at least the fear of financial withdrawal.

Of course we all want to support the program and want it to do well, but our financial support may be counter-productive if its existence helps make the decision to give Mac one more year.

We may have to take two small steps backwards before we leap forward under a new regime. I do have confidence that Pollard will pick the right guy, though. He could even use a new coach as a rallying cry for more financial support. He won’t tolerate mediocrity and a change at the end of the year would hammer his point into the ground and likely garner a lot of financial support while doing so.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well said C2B. At this point I want our big donors to threaten to withhold support. I do want all of us to buy tickets regardless. We need to keep building a great environment for recruiting both players and our next coach.

I also agree that with a strong statement from JP that our performance is not acceptable and a new coach that gets people excited like GMac we will get many benefits.

Fundraising will be even more successful and I would bet we hit 35,000 or more season tickets.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by CLONE2THEBONE View Post
    This is a sticky one.

If attendance remains strong, Pollard may not have his hand forced into making a change at the end of the year and we may continue to languish under Mac.

I think that a vast majority of fans finally agree that a change at the top is warranted, but we may not receive the change we deserve at the end of the season if there isnít at least the fear of financial withdrawal.

Of course we all want to support the program and want it to do well, but our financial support may be counter-productive if its existence helps make the decision to give Mac one more year.

We may have to take two small steps backwards before we leap forward under a new regime. I do have confidence that Pollard will pick the right guy, though. He could even use a new coach as a rallying cry for more financial support. He wonít tolerate mediocrity and a change at the end of the year would hammer his point into the ground and likely garner a lot of financial support while doing so.
    Please don't hurt the entire Iowa State University Athletic Department by being angry at 1 individual leading 1 of our many sports. Football is the cash cow that drives ALL of the other sports (sometimes MBB can be profitable). By not supporting the football team, you will hurt the entire athletic department...like it or not, that's what it boils down to.

Write/call/email Pollard but don't stop giving, attending, supporting this great school.