SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 599
    Given: 369

"Why wouldn't they leave? We're not doing our job."

Cyclones will keep offensive line intact - DMR Link

Ames, Ia. - Now what?

Iowa State football coach Dan McCarney insisted Saturday the five offensive linemen who start are the best five offensive linemen on the team.

"It's not like I'm going to go out and bench five guys," he said after Saturday's 42-26 loss against Texas Tech at Jack Trice Stadium in which the line again had problems.

So when the Cyclones play at Kansas State at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, the starters, left to right will continue to be:

Scott Fisher, Seth Zehr, Scott Stephenson, Tom Schmeling and Aaron Brant.

McCarney will continue to hope the mostly veteran unit starts living up to expectations quickly, because the season is winding down.

"It's like a snowball," Stephenson, the center, said after the Cyclones lost their fourth straight Big 12 Conference game.

Iowa State last started 0-4 in 2003 en route to losing all eight conference games.

The Cyclones lost their first four conference games in 1998 before finishing 1-7. They went 0-8 in 1994, Jim Walden's last season as the coach.

Fans were critical of everything from the players to the coaches then. Ditto the present, as witnessed by the crowd exodus during the Saturday's fourth quarter.

"I don't blame them," Stephenson said. "They're coming out to see us succeed, and we're not succeeding.

"Why wouldn't they leave? We're not doing our job."

He referred to the team, but just as well could have meant the offensive line.

Quarterback Bret Meyer's five sackings against a blitzing Texas Tech brought his sack total this season to 23. The rushing total of 75 yards lowered the season average to 98.2 yards per game.

When asked Saturday if he planned to alter the starting line, McCarney didn't even hesitate.

"They're the best five we have," McCarney said after Iowa State's record fell to 3-5, while achieving a sixth bowl game in the past seven years is a tougher task than anticipated two months ago.

When Meyer wasn't being flattened, he ran around looking for open receivers.

"I saw a couple plays that it seemed like we blocked fine, and he just kind of got happy feet," Stephenson said. "I don't blame him. We've given up a couple sacks that were on the offensive line that would make anybody jittery in the backfield."

Iowa State must win three of its final four games to become eligible for a bowl game. Living up to the media's second-place preseason prediction in the North Division appears unlikely after Red Raiders quarterback Graham Harrell passed for 368 yards and an Iowa State opponent-record six touchdowns.

"It's not like we weren't trying," McCarney said. "We've got to find a way to be better. It's not like we were out there trying to give up touchdown passes."

Stephenson predicts a better future.

"We've got a lot left in the tank; we haven't shown it all yet," he said. "We just have to step up."

With a loyal head coach at the helm.

"I haven't lost one bit of faith in the kids or the coaches," McCarney said.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 7

Re: "Why wouldn't they leave? We're not doing our job."

It's not like we weren't trying," McCarney said.
    Could've fooled me

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

I beg to protest. I think you could have the dline play both ways. Curvy could block better than Brandt, etc. Then we could put the oline on defense and hope for better penetration like jelly. Seriously folks, we have a problem in River City. The town is amuck.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

Can we just hire some contractors for our oline and dline.

Can we borrow some oline guys for the day from Drake?

Why did we do better last year with the same people and a hurt Stevie?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 0

I sense some distress between the O Line and Meyer. Stephenson says that a few times, the line held but Meyer got "happy fee" and fled the pocket. That doesn't sound friendly. That sounds like players are pointing fingers at each other.

Another great quote from that article:

McCarney said. "We've got to find a way to be better. It's not like we were out there trying to give up touchdown passes."

My question for Mac is: If you were trying to give up TD passes, woud the outcome been any different?

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)