Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Why our offense struggles

After witnessing our offensive struggles for many weeks, I thought I'd put together a list of reasons to try to make sense of our sorry state. Feel free to add to it. Here goes.

1. Offensive line play. This is the most obvious one.

2. Lack of breakaway speed & quickness. Not only does Meyer lack this, but also both running backs and Blythe. Jon Davis and Sumrall do have good speed.

3. YAC.....as in yards after catch. We struggle mightily in this category and without doing any research I'd say it plays a huge part in defining the difference between us and our opponents. This could partly be because of reason #2.....but I think most likely its a result of our unimaginative offensive scheme. The players don't seem to be in a position to do anything after a catch but take cover. You also don't see us block downfield like alot of good offenses do.

4. QB play. Bret has a pattern of looking at the first option, looking at the second option, and then back at the first option. If neither of these are open he automatically rolls to his right and either gets sacked by the left end, who undoubtedly knows by now he will be coming his way time and time again, or has to make a decision before he runs out of bounds. This makes our line look even worse, because he always tries to leave the pocket after his short progression read even when the pocket has not even come close to collapsing!

5. Lack of urgency. When our offensive unit gets to the line with less than 10 seconds on the play clock, they have no choice but to go with the play call and have no leeway with which to play with the snap count. That puts us in a bind if the defense decides to get aggressive and blitz. This is because not only can we not audible, but its also difficult to slow the pass rush by playing games with the qb's cadence when the defense knows we have to get the snap off or take a 5 yard penalty for delay of game.

6. Its more difficult to play offense and defense when you're always behind since this sets constraints on what you can do. This is why our rushing stats are porous, since we always get behind and abandon the run.

I'm sure I could think of many more, but these seem to stick out in my mind. I'm interested to see anybody elses thoughts.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Why our offense struggles

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    ...You also don't see us block downfield like alot of good offenses do.
    Why aren't we doing this? We did on Seneca's run against Tech. That's the whole reason he was able to make that run.

I also never thought about the lack of urgency. I think that's a good point. The games I've seen I never see Meyer calling an audible at the line. Maybe it's because he doesn't have time/he can't recognize defenses/or coaching staff doesn't let him. Would like to know though.

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

I've seen Meyer call a few audibles, and he did so in the Texas Tech game. I don't remember any play being outstanding after an audible so maybe he's not that effective in that sense.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 167

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    I've seen Meyer call a few audibles, and he did so in the Texas Tech game. I don't remember any play being outstanding after an audible so maybe he's not that effective in that sense.
    If you listen closely, our audible sounds like...

"Red 80. Check out of the deep pass to Blythe. Now run Stevie up the middle to the right. On two...."

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Why our offense struggles

After witnessing our offensive struggles for many weeks, I thought I'd put together a list of reasons to try to make sense of our sorry state. Feel free to add to it. Here goes.

1. Offensive line play. This is the most obvious one.

2. Lack of breakaway speed & quickness. Not only does Meyer lack this, but also both running backs and Blythe. Jon Davis and Sumrall do have good speed.

3. YAC.....as in yards after catch. We struggle mightily in this category and without doing any research I'd say it plays a huge part in defining the difference between us and our opponents. This could partly be because of reason #2.....but I think most likely its a result of our unimaginative offensive scheme. The players don't seem to be in a position to do anything after a catch but take cover. You also don't see us block downfield like alot of good offenses do.

4. QB play. Bret has a pattern of looking at the first option, looking at the second option, and then back at the first option. If neither of these are open he automatically rolls to his right and either gets sacked by the left end, who undoubtedly knows by now he will be coming his way time and time again, or has to make a decision before he runs out of bounds. This makes our line look even worse, because he always tries to leave the pocket after his short progression read even when the pocket has not even come close to collapsing!

5. Lack of urgency. When our offensive unit gets to the line with less than 10 seconds on the play clock, they have no choice but to go with the play call and have no leeway with which to play with the snap count. That puts us in a bind if the defense decides to get aggressive and blitz. This is because not only can we not audible, but its also difficult to slow the pass rush by playing games with the qb's cadence when the defense knows we have to get the snap off or take a 5 yard penalty for delay of game.

6. Its more difficult to play offense and defense when you're always behind since this sets constraints on what you can do. This is why our rushing stats are porous, since we always get behind and abandon the run.

I'm sure I could think of many more, but these seem to stick out in my mind. I'm interested to see anybody elses thoughts.
    I think you could sum this up by simply saying.....THEY SUCK! They put the Hoover Vacuum to shame they suck so bad.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,565
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 21

ficklone02,
    #3 is a very good point. I think the lack of aggression in play calling really shows in the types of passing plays called. Almost every route has the receiver next to the sidelines. Very rarely do the receivers turn up field for more yardage. Pretty much the play is to step out of bounds. I think this could be due to the fact that the coaching staff is scared crapless about a turnover (playing not to lose) that they want the catch and get OB so there is no fumble. There are very few passes that come across the middle or stretch the middle of the field.

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ben Bruns commented on the lack of toughness of the team as a whole. It sounded like he wanted to name names but he refrained. This team is looking more and more like the 2003 team, except we have "seasoned veterans" on offense.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 64

One other major problem in my opinion is that our defense seems to be confused more often than not on what play they are going to run. The defensive line is usually very slow to get up to the line and get set. I saw several plays yesterday where Chris Singleton was out there trying to figure out what defense they were going to run mere seconds before the play started.

Anyone notice that Brent Curvey was lined up at defensive end quite a few times yesterday? They're really struggling with trying to figure out how to get some pressure on the QB. Still couldn't hardly get to the QB yesterday even with mixing the D-line up some.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

That perplexes me as well, that the defense never seems set until seconds before the ball is snapped. The cornerbacks and safeties always seem confused about who their man is. Maybe that's why we run so much zone, because if you man up, you have to know who your man is.

As far as the offense goes, I definitely agree with the yards after catch comments. It seems like the only passes we complete over the middle are to the TEs, and they aren't going to beat anyone in a footrace. I think Sumrall has a heck of a lot of speed, and we should use that to our advantage.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 64

My bad, I started talking defense in a thread meant to talk about offense (or lack thereof).

Come to think of it, can anyone here remember the last time we busted off a 50+ yard touchdown run or pass play? I'm having a tough time coming up with one. Maybe against A&M last year? Just seems like we can never break loose for huge gains like I see every weekend from the SEC, ACC, and PAC-10 teams.