Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Stevie Hicks?

Thought I'd just start a thread on this because I can't sort through all the multiple negative crap posts to find the info I am looking for. Does anyone know what Hicks injury is and how he did it? Scales played the entire second half so this could be another interesting turn of events if Stevie can't go. I thought Hicks was running the ball fairly well in the 1st half. Scales is a nice change of pace but he is not the power runner that Hicks is going through the gut of the line.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 212

Re: Stevie Hicks?

Interesting turn of events? How much worse can things get? Negative points on offense?

Yeah, Hicks did look good in the first half. The Tech defense is weak vs. the run. All we had to do was not spot them 14 points right outta the gate and I think we can/should win that game. Control the clock running it and toss in a few passes now and then.

Instead, yet again, we play from behind - our QB runs for his life, etc, etc.

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Let Scales and Johnson play the rest of the year. Hicks is one of the bigger dissapointments. For the past couple years everybody has heard "Stevie is healthy this year" "if Stevie's healthy the running game is good". Guess what! Stevie was healthy for the first few games and he still sucks. Even though he's the best pass blocker on the team he is nothing special. He's injury prone. Too bad we didn't have a stud HB because he'd be a heck of a 3rd down back.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 212

Quote Originally Posted by kurimski View Post
    Let Scales and Johnson play the rest of the year. Hicks is one of the bigger dissapointments. For the past couple years everybody has heard "Stevie is healthy this year" "if Stevie's healthy the running game is good". Guess what! Stevie was healthy for the first few games and he still sucks. Even though he's the best pass blocker on the team he is nothing special. He's injury prone. Too bad we didn't have a stud HB because he'd be a heck of a 3rd down back.
    Tell me how any of our offensive problems are Stevie's fault. Please, show me.

He's got 107 carries for 523 yards on the season - that's 4.9 yards per carry. His previous seasons? 3.8, 3.9 and 3.7 yards per carry.

Seems to me, Stevie has improved quite a bit. However, we play from behind so often that we're forced to throw the ball all the time and abandon the run.

Yes, blame Stevie. Call him a poor running back - that's smart!

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Does it seriously matter who is running behind this pathetic line? No one can convince me that we will do anything this year or next if we don't develop a line that consistently wants to block. Bruns summed it up best saying that they were not "tough." To me that means that he can see that they are a bunch of ...!!

Last edited by JCloned; 10-22-2006 at 08:07 PM. Reason: language
    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We all know he isn't Barry Sanders. He is not perfect, but he is good Remember, he has had an 1000 yd season.

Heck, I don't know if even Barry could have an 1000 yd season with our lineplay this year.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Stevie was averaging 5.6 yards in the first half. I will take that avg in any game vs any team. He was doing fine and our rushing attack fell off dramatically with Scales. We our better team with Hicks then without, always have been and while Hicks is here, we will always be better with him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Keep Johnson on the bench. At this point with his health issues and limited playing time he will likely qualify for a medical redshirt. Don't waste his season.

Hicks ypc is twice what scales has....so playing scales is good because?

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I like hicks much better this year. He's not dancin around as much and hits the holes straight on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry, but the blocking got worse as the game dragged on and even Stevie wasn't going to continue averaging 5.6 yards for long in that game. And holding the ball for 6 minutes taking a chance running wouldn't last long when your CB's are getting burnt for quick scores by there offense. I observed #60 on there team before the game. He was huge and had his eyes all painted up black with streaks running down his face and pregame was head butting people without a helmet. He was psychotic, but I would love to have a guy like that on our line to challenge these other

Last edited by JCloned; 10-22-2006 at 08:45 PM.
    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 152

Anyone know what he injury was or how long he may be out?

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

In the post-game, McCarney said it was a minor leg injury, and that Stevie requested to play in the second half, but wasn't 100%, and Dan didn't put him in. I think Stevie is doing a heck of a job this year considering the blocking he gets. About half of the time, he gets hit in the backfield, and yet still finds a way to grind out 3 or 4 yards. And, when he gets going when some holes open up, he can really turn on the jets. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen too often.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

Stevie would average 6 yards per carry this season if we had any kind of blocking on our offensive line. He is a good downhill runner who can hit the hole quickly and pack a punch in doing so as well. He just ends up getting hit at the line of scrimmage all-too-often with our bad blocking.

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Tell me how any of our offensive problems are Stevie's fault. Please, show me.

He's got 107 carries for 523 yards on the season - that's 4.9 yards per carry. His previous seasons? 3.8, 3.9 and 3.7 yards per carry.

Seems to me, Stevie has improved quite a bit. However, we play from behind so often that we're forced to throw the ball all the time and abandon the run.

Yes, blame Stevie. Call him a poor running back - that's smart!
    He's about as healthy as my uncle that has lung cancer. He's too injury prone. How much time did he miss last year because of a groin or ankle or something else? You can guarantee for the rest of the year you hear about an injury of his before every game remaining too.

We all know he isn't Barry Sanders. He is not perfect, but he is good Remember, he has had an 1000 yd season.
    Yes he has had a 1,000 yard season. Actually it was barely. 1,062 yds to be exact. 1,000 yard seasons in college football are a dime a dozen. I'm sure if the line would have even been half as good as expected he would have had possibly 1,500 yds this year. I think everybody would agree though that he does need to toughen up and provide more leadership though. I've never heard about Hicks being a leader at all. That's something you expect from a supposed to be 4 year starter at hb. I think he's had a rather dissapointing career at ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Stevie Hicks works his *** off for us. I don't think he should have been playing at the end of last year because of he was obviously hurt, but that's on the coaches, not him. Hicks has been our best offensive player this season.