Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

There is a market for a Successful ISU FB Program

I see a lot of discussion on this board about the fans and the AD. Let me categorically state none of the problems with this particular team have anything to do with either the fans or the AD.

There is a market for a successful FB program at ISU. Look at it this way, in spite of nearly losing to Toledo and UNLV, 110,000 people showed up to watch ISU against UNI and NU. Yes, the crowd was sparse yesterday. What did anyone expect with the team underperforming and the weather being what it was? Imagine what could be if this program consistently produced 8 win seasons with appearances in bowls like the Alamo or Holiday bowl. Notice that I am not asking for a National Championship caliber program rather a solid program that goes to decent bowls. Imagine what could have been had ISU defeated Missouri in '04 or Baylor in '05.

I roughly equate DM with JO in basketball. But just as JO's era came to a close and Tim Floyd elevated the BB program off of the foundation established by JO, so ISU now needs another coach to elevate the FB program off of the foundation established by DM. ISU is not destined by fate or budget or anything else to be unsuccessful. We have a strong AD and a growing Des Moines area 1/2 hour from Ames. We have a beautiful campus and strong academic institution. It CAN be done at ISU.

URBCLONE

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Re: There is a market for a Successful ISU FB Program

Let's face it. Last season was amazing. ISU was in EVERY game. That has never happened before. I think that trying to get the running game going is a waste of time. Meyer's best runs come on broken passing plays. They did just fine last year without the run. Hope that the fans don't give up on this season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great point URB. It took JO's building of excitment and enthusiasm to pave the way for the Sweet 16s and Elite 8s of TF and LE. I think Pollard is doing everything possible to generate that excitement for the football program, but the one key ingredient is missing.... success on the field. I won't forget what Dan did to turn the program around from the garbage disposal of college football, but he's proven that the next level in unattainable with him and his staff at the helm... so lets move on. People fear a new coaching staff will set us back yet again, but set us back to what? 3-5? we're already there!

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 15

Interesting comparison to coach Orr. But if I remember correctly, Johnny didn't get fired. He retired. I don't think Dan is going to be ready to just hand over the reigns at this time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    Interesting comparison to coach Orr. But if I remember correctly, Johnny didn't get fired. He retired. I don't think Dan is going to be ready to just hand over the reigns at this time.
    You're right, but I think Gene Smith had a lot to do with strongly 'suggesting' that it was time. I think JP could do the same with DM. Look, I may be criticized for saying it, but next year isn't looking any better. Why draw out the inevitable?

URBCLONE

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is sad to say, but next season isn't looking very good. We are going to have to replace a line that I thought was going to be good but instead is terrible. On the plus side, I don't think next year's line could be any worse. Our line doesn't play like a unit full of seniors anyway, maybe some ragtag JUCO's in their first week or two of practice at best, AT BEST.

We are going to have to fill the ranks with JUCO players which is a less than ideal place to be if you are in your 12th year as head coach and the "dean" of the Big 12. I'm not saying that JUCO players aren't good, i.e. Seneca Wallace, Tim Dobbins, etc... They can really work out I hope they do for all of our sakes. Point is... I do, we all should expect more from this season and NEXT!

I sincerely hope that we can win against K-State, Kansas, and Colorado. I know we all do. They are all possible, even Mizzou (minor miracal). We could be bowl eligible. It won't be a good bowl, but I'll take it.