Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Question Rookies

Unfortunately I was unable to use my tickets and go to the game yesterday. Even as badly as it sounded I was very anxious to go. But my question comes here.

How did the new rookies play and veterans. I heard James Smith made it in. If you all could let me know how the following players did that would be great. Included some of their strength and weaknesses.

James Smith
    Jason Harris
    Steve Johnson
    Chris Brown
    John Banks
    Defensive Line

Jason Scales
    Bret Meyer
    Todd Blyth (Did he even get the ball)
    Offensive Line

Any others people would like to mention.

Thanks guys.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

Re: Rookies

Outside of Shaggy and our punt team (which was our best offensive weapon all day) I could find nothing to get excited about.

We put zero pressure on the QB all day long-he sat back and had open receivers to pick from.

On the other side of the ball, Meyer was either running for his life or on the rare occassions he had protection, he was leaving the pocket early and making poor decisions. Can he look off a receiver??

This is the same offense we had last year, and they are worse. IMHO that is coaching, or lack thereof. What is Spin DMC going to attribute it to?

I'm trying to look for positives, but I am not finding any.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Unfortunately I was unable to use my tickets and go to the game yesterday. Even as badly as it sounded I was very anxious to go. But my question comes here.

How did the new rookies play and veterans. I heard James Smith made it in. If you all could let me know how the following players did that would be great. Included some of their strength and weaknesses.

James Smith
    Jason Harris
    Steve Johnson
    Chris Brown
    John Banks
    Defensive Line

Jason Scales
    Bret Meyer
    Todd Blyth (Did he even get the ball)
    Offensive Line

Any others people would like to mention.

Thanks guys.
    My friend and I celebrated when James Smith entered the game. He is an obvious improvement from Berg. The series that he played, our defense seemed to do better. I kept my eyes only on him for most plays and he seemed a lot less "lost" than Berg.

Jason Scales toughness impressed me. He took a couple licks, including a helmet-to-helmet and got right up. Also, that 4th and 2 conversion was due to his effort.

Defensive line played average or worse. Major lack of playmaking ability as we have seen all year.

Offensive line, IMO, did everything you could ask them to. That may be due to an average opposing defense but there were very few plays that I felt that they were the problem.

Bret Meyer may have played his worst game of the season. I don't know what happened to his out-of-pocket composure, but it was non-existant yesterday. Numerous plays where he was being chased by a single defensive end and couldn't make a play.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

[quote=joskvig;29043]
    Offensive line, IMO, did everything you could ask them to. That may be due to an average opposing defense but there were very few plays that I felt that they were the problem.
    quote]

Uh... Except Block!!! Did you seriously watch Schmeling and Brandt and other players on occasion? They were not blocking at all or getting blown back 3 yards right off the bat. This line is horrible and is the reason that our season will be LONG!!!

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Our offesnive line is bad, real bad, a lot worse than last year. It's to the point where we can't even run play action because every time we do Meyer has a guy in his face immediately after the fake.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Drenard Williams played most of second half in place of Steve Johnson and I thought looked better at the corner. Chris Brown played nickle and was hard to judge. Jason Harris played the whole game and go beat once, but was othewise and uneventful debut. He did show he was willing to stick his nose in and tackle. James Smith played about a 1/3 of the game and like Harris was uneventful, but I was just thrilled to see him out there. Banks...didn't really notice much. Jason Scales....continues to be a puzzle as he runs hard, but consistently has very poor yards per carry. We all have cracked on Stevie H, but he is doubling up Scales in ypc and it continued yesterday. Brett Meyer, may have been one of poorer games I have seen him play. Missed on several throws, got happy feet in the pocket (before he had to) and made several poor decisions. At least two of the sacks were him running out of pocket prematurely and into d-lineman who were being pushed out away from the pocket. Todd Blythe was playing against very physical corners and seemed frustrated. Oline porus as usual. One you didn't ask about Chris Singleton played a decent game, but let TT get into his head, you could see him spending more and more time talking after plays as the game went on and eventually lost it and gave up a 15yard personal foul.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by colocy View Post
    Our offesnive line is bad, real bad, a lot worse than last year. It's to the point where we can't even run play action because every time we do Meyer has a guy in his face immediately after the fake.
    I know that they are bad. I just felt that this wasn't one of their worse performances this season. Might not be saying much.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Yeah, Drenard Williams seemed to be more solid than Stephen Johnson. I believe he will be the full-time starter at least by the beginning of next year. Harris and Smith played uneventful, but you can understand since it was pretty much their first playing time all year. With those three and Singleton we will have a very fast and athletic d-backfield, they just need experience.

Our one underclassmen O-Lineman, Tom Schmeling, is very very poor. He was replaced by Reggie Stephens and he seemed to play better. The sad thing is that those two players will be our o-line standouts next season.

I understand Parker was getting run down, but Texas Tech would seem like a good team to play him against with their more finesse offensive approach, and our complete lack of a pass rush, he is no Berryman though. He hasn't played for awhile now, but we did throw him out there against Texas and Iowa, he should be able to go against TT. Nate Frere no longer plays either. Just think, at the beginning of the season we were starting two 2star true freshmen whose only offers were from ISU, and now they no longer even play.

They better be planning on medical redshirting Josh Johnson even though he prolly is good to play since he dresses and warms up every game. I would hate to see him lose a year of eligibility for a 6 yard carry against Toledo.

At least Culbertson has become a confident capable kicker and Brandtner is developing into a solid punter.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Tackling was a major issue for the D yesterday. I cannot understand why they can't tackle correctly. It's just dumbfounding to me. Hopefully Drenard and Smith can start making a difference in the secondary. Where was Curvey? I rarely remember hearing his name called...

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I did forget about Singleton and appreciate the update.

I appreciate the opinons on everyone. The big thing for me now is not to go and watch the game and see us win, but just to see the players progress and look forward to next year.

I really like Singleton, and Williams. I think those two next year will be huge. I hope Harris works out because he is physical and quick.

It is a shame on the Josh Johnson ordeal. A medical redshirt would be nice.

Thanks again yall.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks