Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Twins and Nathan agree on 3 year deal

Pretty good bargain too... So, since Nathan appears locked up, would the Cubs be interested in a Chad Cordero/Felipe Lopez deal with the Nationals?

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

Re: Twins and Nathan agree on 3 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Pretty good bargain too... So, since Nathan appears locked up, would the Cubs be interested in a Chad Cordero/Felipe Lopez deal with the Nationals?
    Excellent move by my Twinkies, locking up a top-3 closer like that. Now if we can improve upon the starting pitching some then we might just have a pretty decent team by the time they move into their new digs in 2010.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

Only one guys opinion but I think the Twins front office did a good job negotiating though an off season that was a mine field. To be honest the only other thing I could have asked for was one more younger prospect in the Santana trade. In my opinion the team is probably about as good as the one last year with a lot of upside into the future, which is saying something when you lose an All-star centerfielder and maybe the best starter in the game.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Love the deal. Nathan is nails late in games (although he did seem to make things interesting last year a lot more, a la Eddie Guardado). The Twins chances of being a factor in the AL Central this year (slim as they are) rely on their bullpen to win games. The pen will be logging some big time innings.

I guess if the wheels fall off by mid season, they could get more for a guy with 3 more years rather than a future free agent (see Santana, Johan).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jables22 View Post
    Love the deal. Nathan is nails late in games (although he did seem to make things interesting last year a lot more, a la Eddie Guardado). The Twins chances of being a factor in the AL Central this year (slim as they are) rely on their bullpen to win games. The pen will be logging some big time innings.

I guess if the wheels fall off by mid season, they could get more for a guy with 3 more years rather than a future free agent (see Santana, Johan).
    Funny, because I'd say the Twins (slim) chances of being a factor depend on the starting pitchers getting the game to the relievers giving up as few runs as possible. Get it to the Twins bullpen with a lead and I like our chances.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Funny, because I'd say the Twins (slim) chances of being a factor depend on the starting pitchers getting the game to the relievers giving up as few runs as possible. Get it to the Twins bullpen with a lead and I like our chances.
    Yes, the starters are important. I'm just saying that the bullpen will be leaned on even more this year. I think they will be pitching a lot of innings when Boof Bonser putting up about 4 and 2/3 a start. If the young guys are heading into the 6th inning with a lead, Gardy is more likely to call the pen than he would be with proven vets on the hill.

I see what you are saying though. The starters are big question marks and the pen is proven and reliable. Hopefully the offense can put up a big # every game and the starters don't have to be the strength of the team.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jables22 View Post
    Yes, the starters are important. I'm just saying that the bullpen will be leaned on even more this year. I think they will be pitching a lot of innings when Boof Bonser putting up about 4 and 2/3 a start. If the young guys are heading into the 6th inning with a lead, Gardy is more likely to call the pen than he would be with proven vets on the hill.

I see what you are saying though. The starters are big question marks and the pen is proven and reliable. Hopefully the offense can put up a big # every game and the starters don't have to be the strength of the team.
    Considering they went and picked up Lamb, Young, and Gomez, and already have Mauer, Morneau, and Cuddyer, it seems to me this may be the strategy for this year. They'll be good, but unfortunately, I'm just not convinced it'll be better than what the Indians or the Tigers have.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

What's the money in the deal?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

I must have missed the part where the Twins are giving a guy who will will end the deal on the wrong side of 35 over 11 million a year is a good deal...

Here's Rotoworld's take...

Nathan was set to make $6 million this year after having his option picked up. Now he'll earn $11.25 million each of the next four seasons, plus either $12.5 million or a $2 million buyout in 2012. The Twins are essentially guaranteeing Nathan $41 million for his age 34-36 seasons. It's an incredible sum for a "small-market" team to give to a guy who is going to be involved in five percent of the club's innings at best.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    I must have missed the part where the Twins are giving a guy who will will end the deal on the wrong side of 35 over 11 million a year is a good deal...

I guess the whole "over 35" thing doesn't scare me nearly as much when it comes to a closer. Closers just don't have the same wear and tear on their arms as rotational pitchers do. The fact that he's one of the top 3 closers in the game to me makes it a pretty good deal. We were willing to throw $20 million a year for 4 years at Santana, and the guy was only going to pitch once every 5 games. Nathan will have an impact in every game the Twins have a lead going into the 9th, some occasions going into the 8th. I think the only way this is a bad deal is if we can't get him into the game with the lead often enough, because putting Nathan into the game makes the win about as close to a sure thing as there is with any closer in baseball.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I guess the whole "over 35" thing doesn't scare me nearly as much when it comes to a closer. Closers just don't have the same wear and tear on their arms as rotational pitchers do. The fact that he's one of the top 3 closers in the game to me makes it a pretty good deal. We were willing to throw $20 million a year for 4 years at Santana, and the guy was only going to pitch once every 5 games. Nathan will have an impact in every game the Twins have a lead going into the 9th, some occasions going into the 8th. I think the only way this is a bad deal is if we can't get him into the game with the lead often enough, because putting Nathan into the game makes the win about as close to a sure thing as there is with any closer in baseball.
    A hole at the closer's role is a lot easier to fill than one in the starting rotation. Both are awesome players, but there's no way you can compare Santana and Nathan.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not a bad deal and I don't actually mind it being made, here's my logic:
    1. its fairly short term, ideally a 3 year deal would have been better but 4 years won't hamstring the club for the future in terms of money or in case of injury
    2. Twins got a bit of a deal, Fransisco Cordero got a bigger contract than Nathan and I think you'd be hard pressed to say he's a better closer.
    3. The Twins have some extra money to spend over the next few years. Now that they've wrapped up the young guys(Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer) there isn't really anyone else key to the club coming up on big paydays really soon, other than possibly Delmon Young, but even there he's really 2 years away from big money.
    4. Without him the Twins bullpen would be shaky, Neshek and Guerrier can be counted on but Crain and Rincon both are question marks coming off injuries. Having those 3 insures pitchers to get thru the 7th, 8th and 9th.
    5. If he would agree to a trade, I'm betting his value would be higher now.
    6. Hopefully it prevents the signing of more Livan Hernandez's

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

God, I'm ready for baseball season to get here.

Who's the closer of the future for the Twins? Neshek?

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

A hole at the closer's role is a lot easier to fill than one in the starting rotation. Both are awesome players, but there's no way you can compare Santana and Nathan.
    Yep, and that's why Johan's getting 25+ million a year and Nathan is getting 11 million. Also having a deal of almost double the length. That sort of difference would be huge in case Delmon Young or Fransisco Liriano come back huge. Johan's deal would probably prevent the Twins from having a deal that goes into FA

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

A four year deal for a reliever is not a short term deal by any definition. I don't think it was a bad deal, but I don't think it's great either.