Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

Our fans suck

For the first time in my life, I had a totally crap time at an Iowa State football game. I wish I didn't go. I honestly am not sure if I want to go to any games left this year. And it has nothing to do with our performance on the field, although that doesn't exactly fill me with the warm fuzzies.

First off, I don't give a crap what the attendance figures were for yesterday's game. If there were 40,000 people there at kickoff, I would have been shocked. By halftime, it might have been down to 35,000 or fewer. That doesn't go to say how dead quiet the stadium was. I know the game sucked. But there were plenty of times I was literally the only person yelling in my section.

The thing that really irked me was that I was surrounded by people ******** about our team. I've heard a lot of people say that we have great fans, but that is an absolute fallacy. We have one of the largest group of fairweather fans I've ever been around. Guys two rows ahead of me and huge group of people behind me complaining the whole game - put a damn cork in it. If I wanted to hear people ***** for 3 hours, I'd stay in and watch the View on Monday morning.

I'm not saying the fans have effected the play on the field or any other nonsense. I'm just sick of our fanbase right now. I know it's hard for some people to imagine, but some of us actually try to have a good time at games.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Our fans suck

I went to the game and had a great time. Stayed to the very end. I was sitting with some diehard fans that cheered, complained, were elated, then unhappy. That, my friend is what college sports are about, the constant change of emotions. I love it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

Bryce,
    I was at the game too. I find it very difficult to get excited when a team jumps out to early leads like that. I know ISU was technically 'in the game' going into the 4th quarter, but if you understood the way the game was going ISU did not stand a chance. I was disappointed in the effort of the coaches and the players. The fans were not great yesterday either. I think that has a lot to do with the product they are viewing. BTW, is there a way I can get a refund for that crap I had to watch yesterday? I cannot believe I dropped $80 ($40 for me and $40 for my brother) to watch that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bryce, in my section fans were pretty good....better than I expected actually. (until Mac punted the ball down two scores against an offense we had barely slowed down all day with 4 1/2 minutes left) I was there till the bitter end.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

I was there till the bitter end as well in section G. We need to be given something to cheer about, and 85 yards of total offense in the second half isn't going to do it. Yet again, our defense didn't force a single turnover. This time, against a team that had turned the ball over 10 times in the past 2 games.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

UNI
    Nebraska

Enough said. Leave the fans alone. The team stinks and the coaching staff doesn't have a clue. Iowa State has great fans, never question that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

I'm don't give a crap about UNI and Nebraska. A huge # of those fans at the Nebraska game were Nebraska fans, and the UNI game had a lot of UNI fans, plus it was parents weekend so that always brings in a couple extra thousand fans. When the team is down that's when the fans are tested - and ours have obviously not shown up.

I know it sucked out there, I had no qualms about our chances. When we had the "Pick how you think the big 12 will end up" thread, I picked ISU to go 5-7 and only get two more wins. Frankly I'll be happy if we get one more the way we're playing.

What I'm saying is that there was no "constant change of emotions" around me. It was a constant ***** fest before the game even started.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Exactly when was the last time this season the cyclone fans had something to cheer about? When was the last time they played a complete game of football? When was the last time they showed you something, heck anything that resembles a football team? Your asking people to cheer for THE BIGGEST underachieving team in the history of Cyclone sports!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

Yeah I know Bryce. I have been around this fanbase for longer than even I want to admit. Without a doubt the WORSE FANBASE in ALL of college football. I hate to think about next year!

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think its time to put the fan attacks to rest. We just had our two biggest home crowds ever in spite of the fact that our team has been playing like crap all year. Our fans are frustrated, most schools would have had fans booing the team loudly from the first TT touchdown drive. Yeah there were complainers yesterday, but nothing like you see in better circumstances at most arenas. If you think our fans suck and we are the worst, then I suspect you haven't been in lot of stadiums around the country. We are not the best. We are not Tennessee, NU, etc, but lets not put this out of proportion.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 65

Bryce, would you rather have those same people *****ing or just not showing up. Atleast they care enough to *****. I mean seriously, the people who don't ***** seem more foolish everyday for continuing to put up with it.

"Yes I'll have one (substitute your favorite meal here)".
    Wait a second, this sucks!
    "Oh its OK, they tried hard. I really like the chef anyways. I paid for the experience of ordering and meal preparation. I don't care what the final product is. Tell them they're doing a great job, I'll be back next week."

Last edited by Cyclone06; 10-22-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

We have zero tradition.
    We have a very bad football team.
    The weather was bad.
    People are ****** and I don't blame them.
    The fan base is just waiting for one postitive thing to happen this year and I can't name one. Is there one? Our 3 wins have been against crappy teams and we probably shouldn't have won them. (but we did and I understand that) Otherwise what else? What do think the stands would look like in Iowa City this year if Iowa had the same tradition we did and it poured rain all day with a team like we have. Hell, they were only getting 45,000 -50,000 when Coach Kirk took over and was doing bad at first. Imagine if he had 7 years in row of that.
    As for me....
    I left right after the last meyer interception. I had to get to Menards so I could pick up some stuff for my basement. At least that was fun.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Fine, you are frustrated by they fans lack of support. I understand and appreciate that.

I respectfully disagree regarding how bad our fans are. They may be better or worse in some areas, but they were there.

In various posts, on various boards, (regardless of where they are on coaching change/no-change), it is past the point of anger, to numb frustration. There is a sense of no-hope, or the expectation of failure. Is this right, should we have it, not arguing this. I am simply saying it exists and this is what will have to change to move forward.

There are the die hard fans (who are on the boards and will keep going, giving and supporting) no matter what.

There are the very supportive fans who are struggling. It is at the point where I can name 4-5 families, with season tickets, where the kids do not want to go anymore, the spouse does not want to go any more, to painful. They cannot even get the casual fans to go, and get free tickets.

This is the cusp of seeing where attendance, tickets and donations go. (Note, I believe you should keep your tickets and donations going to make this better.) I do not think the big donations are at risk (who knows). IT is the $500, $1,000, $2,500 that may be in play here.

No matter how supportive a fan is, we cannot be in a situation where many are getting pressure from family, and spouses on "you are giving how much and you want to give more!!) This pressure is starting to build.

Something must be done to restore hope and it does not do any good to chastise the fans who were there. Their reaction will be "fine, the heck with it. I do not need the grief, along with the pain".

Just my opinion.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 246

When the team gets better, the fans will follow. This team sucks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You know how Meyer feels about our offensive line? No confidence...running for his life! That's how the fans feel about our coaches and their ability to lead us to victory!