Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Coaching advice!

Notice Meyer never calls an audible or hot route, even when Blythe has single coverage against a 5'10" CB....I have heard that the coaches do not allow him to make audibles.........if we call a HB dive and the defense accidentally lines up in a FG block......Meyer would have to call a HB dive. One word....ASININE.

On one of brandtner's punts that Jesse Smith ran from completely across the field and dove for the ball on the 1 yard line....We had at least 3 guys who were in the return man's face as he called for a fair catch...and they all stopped....that...is bad coaching. They have to have been coached that when the return man calls for a fair catch on the 10 yard line to look for the football........because it's most likely a DECOY!!!

Chris Singleton's tackling. Enough said. I'm sure you have all noticed it. Every tackle he has made this year looks the same. He gets within a yard of the ball carrier, looks at the ground, and falls down by his feet and prays that he trips him up. We are 8 games into the season (plus he is in his 2nd season) and he stills tackles this way every time, or attempts too, I hate to guess how many missed tackles he has on the year. You cannot play football scared. If you play scared and tackle like that, you will get hurt.

Run some playaction...especially with Kock...since we give him the ball every time he is in....and have the tight end roll out. We have two of the best recieving TE's I have ever seen. Nickel makes every catch....how about in the bowl game last year when he put his arm down to keep from falling only to be called down anway. And since dropping the wide open TD vs. Iowa 3 years ago Barkema has been a great reciever. When we throw use the TE's...they are open and we move the chains.

I'm sure there's more....but that's all I have for now.

I'm not saying I could be a better coach. But, many of the things this team lacks are fundamental things. Like wrapping up the ball carrier around the waste instead of hitting him in his shoulder pads and trying to wrestle him to the ground like its a calf rope. And kicking the ball in the field of play on a kickoff. And the DE staying home instead of falling for the reverse every time. It does not take 22 5 star recruits to figure these things out. It takes discipline and good coaching. Good coaches make adjustments...I do not see our coaches make any adjustments ever. If our gameplan sucks....throw it away and change it up. Is it that hard? In my job I have tried new things that backfired, so I threw it out. I didn't keep trying it over and over and over.

I feel much better now......or not...I'm not sure.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Coaching advice!

You know... it's common knowledge that making mistakes helps us to learn and grow. So, why isn't this team learning and growing? The coaches need to be addressing the mistakes and guiding the players to stop repeating the same mistakes over and over. The mistakes that drives me craziest are the missed tackles/blocks. These are fundamental things taught in Pop Warner league. Why is it that a D-1 football team is struggling with them - especially 8 weeks into the season??!?

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43

Re: Coaching advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
    You know... it's common knowledge that making mistakes helps us to learn and grow. So, why isn't this team learning and growing? The coaches need to be addressing the mistakes and guiding the players to stop repeating the same mistakes over and over. The mistakes that drives me craziest are the missed tackles/blocks. These are fundamental things taught in Pop Warner league. Why is it that a D-1 football team is struggling with them - especially 8 weeks into the season??!?
    1 or 2 reasons:

1. The coaching staff doesn't recognize the weaknesses or doesn't know how to fix the problem (highly unlikely at this level)

2. The players are too dumb to get what is being taught (more likely than number 1 but I also witnessed Troy Davis make plays all day long and the guy could barely talk)

So take your pick.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)