Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 338

What about Alvin Bowen?

The twelve semifinalists for Lombardi Trophy were all seniors including fellow form Missouri. No Alvin (Brown) Bowen sightings who is a junior.
    ROTARY LOMBARDI AWARD SEMIFINALISTS ANNOUNCED

2006 Rotary Lombardi Semifinalists Information Center
    (posted October 17, 2006)
    HOUSTON- A pair of returnees highlight the list of 12 college football standouts named as semifinalists for the 37th Rotary Lombardi Award, presented by Wachovia Bank. This year's dinner, which benefits the American Cancer Society, will be held on December 6 at the Hilton Americas Hotel in Downtown Houston.

Linebacker Paul Posluszny (Puz-LUZ-knee) of Penn State and offensive tackle Joe Thomas of Wisconsin were each semifinalists in 2005, with Posluszny eventually being selected a finalist. They are joined by linebackers Buster Davis of Florida State and Patrick Willis of Mississippi; offensive tackles Justin Blalock of Texas and Dan Mozes of West Virginia; defensive ends Gaines Adams of Clemson, Mkristo Bruce (M-kristo) of Washington State, Quentin Moses of Georgia, Brian Smith of Missouri, and LaMarr Woodley of Michigan; and defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock of Ohio State. All 12 players are playing their senior seasons for their respective schools.
    Posluszny leads the Nittany Lions’ defense with 57 tackles (34 solo) in seven games so far this season, while Thomas is a pre-season All-American and the cornerstone of a Badger attack that has notched 33 points per contest.
    The leader in the middle of the Seminoles defense, Davis has racked up 57 tackles (30 solo) in six games. Willis leads the SEC with an average of 10.43 tackles per game as the centerpiece of an Ole Miss defense.
    Blalock anchored the Longhorns’ offensive line during their run to the National Championship in 2005, and is a big reason why the Horns are the 2nd highest scoring team in NCAA football this year. Mozes centers a line for the unbeaten Mountaineers that is tops in the nation with 328 yards rushing per game.
    Adams tied a Clemson record by recording at least one sack in his fifth-straight game for the nation’s 4th ranked defense. Bruce currently leads the nation with 10.0 sacks, while posting 29 solo tackles for the Cougars.
    Pitock has recorded 7.0 sacks and 8.5 tackles for a loss for the #1 ranked Buckeyes, while Moses (21 tackles), was named the pre-season SEC Defensive Player of the Year by The Sporting News. Smith is tied for 5th nationally with 7.5 sacks, and has also registered 8.5 tackles for a loss in seven games played. Woodley has also gathered 7.0 sacks and has 10.0 tackles for a loss for the # 3 ranked Wolverines.
    This year's class of semifinalists includes nine defensive players and three offensive linemen. The Big Ten Conference leads the way with four semifinalists, followed by the ACC, Big XII, and SEC with two apiece, and the Big East and Pac-10 with one.
    Founded in the weeks following the death of legendary football coach Vince Lombardi from cancer in 1970, the Rotary Lombardi Award presented by Wachovia Bank has annually delivered upon the mission set forth by Marie Lombardi when she first granted the use of her late husband's name. Her only stipulation was that all net proceeds from the event be donated to the American Cancer Society and over $3.1 million has been generated since that time.
    This year's Rotary Lombardi Award is being presented by Wachovia Bank, which is in the second year of a two-year presentation sponsorship agreement with the Rotary Club of Houston Foundation to support the event and its fund raising component. Tables and individual tickets are now on sale through the Rotary Club of Houston office (713) 973-9936.
    The Rotary Club of Houston, in operation since 1912, is an association of more than 300 successful business professionals, all prominent in their individual fields of endeavor, who volunteer their efforts through the work of some two dozen club committees. Assistance is provided to such diverse groups as troubled youngsters, former prison inmates, business oriented high school students, families of cancer patients, deserving college scholarship candidates and the nation's cancer research efforts. The Rotary Club of Houston is leading a neighborhood initiative to benefit Houston’s East End. Through collaboration with major corporate, civic and philanthropic partners, including many Houston area Rotary Clubs, Rotary activities will respond to identified community needs in the areas of public health, education, vocational training and micro-enterprises.
    All media inquiries regarding the Rotary Lombardi Award

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: What about Alvin Bowen?

If you watched any of these guys play, you would see that they are better than Bowen. While Bowen is very fast and athletic he is quite undersized. If these other LB's were on ISU's team they would lead the nation in tackles as well. Mainly due to the fact that our D is on the field all the time. This is no knock on Bowen who is a stud, but I see why he isn't on this list

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonestotop View Post
    If you watched any of these guys play, you would see that they are better than Bowen. While Bowen is very fast and athletic he is quite undersized. If these other LB's were on ISU's team they would lead the nation in tackles as well. Mainly due to the fact that our D is on the field all the time. This is no knock on Bowen who is a stud, but I see why he isn't on this list
    You're exactly right. I like Bowen & McKenzie (I think they're #1 & #4 in tackles respectively), but it is undoubtedly because our offense stinks right now & the D is on the field all the time. They have many more opportunities to MAKE tackles than these other players.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I think next year Bowen and McKenzie might be ISU's version of Greenway and Hodge. Anybody else think the same? It might not be a bad thing with the defense on the field 35minutes plus a game. They are getting a lot of experience which will help out tremendously when ISU loses a lot of their offense and only come back with Meyer, Blythe, and Scales. They will have to rely on their Defense next year.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kurimski View Post
    They will have to rely on their Defense next year.
    I fear you are correct on this one. When we ever be able to say that we have a balanced team and are able to rely on both the offense AND the defense. For as long as I can remember, we have been 'strong' on one side of the ball - having to compensate for weakness on the other side. Is this a recruiting problem with Mac & Co.? Shouldn't they be able to recruit in a fashion that positions us for a strong overall team two out of every three years or so?

Recruit
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

theres no reason the Offense should take a step back next year. Returning QB and receivers with experience. We wont miss much from Hicks and the line is already bad. Should be the same slow moving methodical offense. I think your assessment of Greenway and Hodge is fair. Neither of our LB's will get drafted as high as Greenway due to size. That guy was 6'4 240. But as far as college lbs thats a fair comparison

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonestotop View Post
    theres no reason the Offense should take a step back next year. Returning QB and receivers with experience. We wont miss much from Hicks and the line is already bad. Should be the same slow moving methodical offense. I think your assessment of Greenway and Hodge is fair. Neither of our LB's will get drafted as high as Greenway due to size. That guy was 6'4 240. But as far as college lbs thats a fair comparison

The real problem with the offense next year, clonestotop, is that our entire O-Line will be very green - pretty much no experience except for Schmeling. But, of course the O-Line isn't playing that well this year anyway, so maybe it won't be that much of a drop-off.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We are averaging 3.3 yards a rush. What more could you want? That almost gets a first down after 3 plays.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 949
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We are averaging 3.3 yards a rush. What more could you want? That almost gets a first down after 3 plays.
    I really hope that was sarcasm.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 468

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    The real problem with the offense next year, clonestotop, is that our entire O-Line will be very green - pretty much no experience except for Schmeling. But, of course the O-Line isn't playing that well this year anyway, so maybe it won't be that much of a drop-off.
    I dunno, a green offensive line next year may play better than our veteran yet offensive o-line this year

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.