SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Forbes rankes Des Moines Top 4 places for Business and Career

For the second straight year.

Forbes: Des Moines ranked No. 4 in U.S. for business, careers

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Forbes has ranked Des Moines as the fourth-best place in America for business and careers for the second straight year.
    The magazine announced its annual top 10 list Wednesday, noting Des Moines' unemployment rate of 3.4% and business costs that are 10% below the national average. Forbes also cited the city's sports arena, art center and three-mile skywalk in downtown.
    Cedar Rapids ranked 44th and Davenport was 90th.
    Raleigh, N.C., topped the list for the second straight year due partly to its job growth.
    Boise, Idaho, and Fort Collins, Colo., also ranked ahead of Des Moines.
    The rest of the top 10 list includes Lexington, Ky.; Atlanta; Richmond, Va.; Olympia, Wash.; Spokane, Wash.; and Knoxville, Tenn.
    On Forbes' Best Small Places For Business And Careers, Iowa City was fifth, Dubuque was 15th and Ames was 26th.
    Rankings are based on labor costs, taxes, energy, office space and living expenses.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Forbes rankes Des Moines Top 4 places for Business and Career

Strange, I've been hearing from the Business lobby (ABI, NFIB, et. all) that Iowa is horribly anti-business and is creating a climate that pushes businesses away? Weird

Way to go Iowa!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 36

Forbes had a great write up about dsm being hip and a great place to live. I couldn't agree more. Why would anyone choose Chicago or NY over Des Moines? This place is great. A growing downtown life that is already pretty good. Low crime, short commutes, affordable housing, plenty to do (if you say otherwise then you're looking to complain, not to be entertained). I wouldn't want to leave here. The worst thing about Des Moines is obviously the proximity to the hawkeyes......

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post
    Forbes had a great write up about dsm being hip and a great place to live. I couldn't agree more. Why would anyone choose Chicago or NY over Des Moines? This place is great. A growing downtown life that is already pretty good. Low crime, short commutes, affordable housing, plenty to do (if you say otherwise then you're looking to complain, not to be entertained). I wouldn't want to leave here. The worst thing about Des Moines is obviously the proximity to the hawkeyes......
    No one from Des Moines should EVER complain about the relative closeness to the Hawkeyes, especially since you have the relative closeness to the Cyclones. I live in Davenport. My life is miserable (relatively speaking)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.